Notifications
Clear all

Friend came from Eastern Europe to USA with clear skin. Month later - SEVERE ACNE

MemberMember
(@tepl0)

Posted : 07/07/2007 8:51 am

A month ago a friend of mine came from a former USSR country with perfect skin. For the past month of living in the USA, she had little money, so she ate cheap food: burgers, fries, potato chips.

About a week into her visit, her face was covered with little zits. Now after a month, her face is covered with inflamed cysts.

She says she eats the exact same foods in her country, and has never had acne before.

Is it the corn syrup? Is it the pesticides? Maybe the yeasts in the US are harder for our bodies to handle than those in Europe?

I told her to stay away from bread, and anything with corn syrup in it.

The conclusion which I derived from this, is that eating organic food is very important. Doesn't the liver get rid of pesticides through the skin?

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind now that the low quality of Western food + chemicals + pesticides + corn syrup = acne.

The proof is right in front of my eyes. I saw a girl with perfectly clear skin develop severe acne in ONE MONTH of living in the USA.

MemberMember
(@panda_day)

Posted : 07/07/2007 9:09 am

A month ago a friend of mine came from a former USSR country with perfect skin. For the past month of living in the USA, she had little money, so she ate cheap food: burgers, fries, potato chips.

About a week into her visit, her face was covered with little zits. Now after a month, her face is covered with inflamed cysts.

She says she eats the exact same foods in her country, and has never had acne before.

Is it the corn syrup? Is it the pesticides? Maybe the yeasts in the US are harder for our bodies to handle than those in Europe?

I told her to stay away from bread, and anything with corn syrup in it.

The conclusion which I derived from this, is that eating organic food is very important. Doesn't the liver get rid of pesticides through the skin?

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind now that the low quality of Western food + chemicals + pesticides + corn syrup = acne.

The proof is right in front of my eyes. I saw a girl with perfectly clear skin develop severe acne in ONE MONTH of living in the USA.

MemberMember
(@tepl0)

Posted : 07/07/2007 9:22 am

So maybe a drastic dietary change causes it? It can't be stress alone though, there's stress all over the world in all kinds of situations.

Here's what I think this girl's acne is not caused by:

water: I've been in many countries with different types of water, but with a Western diet, and acne didn't decrease.

lack of sleep: she sleeps normally and wakes up rested.

stress: in her country, she's in a very demanding university, constantly stressed out.

dairy: in her country she drinks milk all the time

sugar: she eats lots of chocolate back home, and lots of other refined carbs

When I was in France, my skin improved drastically, but in England, I got a breakout. Weird..

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 07/07/2007 11:30 am

Here's an idea.

Was she eating raw dairy products in the USSR?

In many places outside of the US, raw dairy is actually the norm while pasteurized isn't.

There are a lot of people that don't process pasteurized (cooked) dairy very well, but they can handle raw dairy just fine.

There's also the issue of her age...if she's still in her teens or early twenties, certain genes are being activated and deactivated as she grows up, affecting the way her body processes food which could lead to acne. This sort of change could've coincidentally happened in the last month or so.

MemberMember
(@cyph31)

Posted : 07/07/2007 11:46 am

i'm guessing it's the water, people can have breakouts from moving to a different place within the same city

MemberMember
(@listener)

Posted : 07/07/2007 11:51 am

I've been researching some of the effects of preservatives on minerals in food lately.

Stuff like chromium and vanadium can be affected by the cooking/preserving techniques of modern civilisation.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 07/07/2007 11:54 am

I was thinking more air pollution because i live in England not near a coast or anything and a couple of years back i went to Wales and lived in a very mountainous area near the coast, and i didnt get a single spot that whole week. And my acne was fairly bad there. So i was thinking maybe the fresh air and salt content in the air helped it

MemberMember
(@cyph31)

Posted : 07/07/2007 12:01 pm

ya it probably doesn't help that any urban center in warmer weather is pretty much filled with smog 24/7

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 07/07/2007 12:21 pm

That is really depressing to hear :(. I guess it is all the processing of foods too, and the city smog, and the water, and whatever else is contributing to it. Try to make your friend go on a paleo diet and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@jr86)

Posted : 07/07/2007 1:03 pm

that basically happened to me to, except when i went to college. all through high school i had clear skin, then i went to college (in the same area even) and started breaking out badly with all kinds of cysts and nodules. there are many environmental factors that can lead to acne flares, including the stress of being in a new area. ( i think stress is what did it to me, because my diet really didn't change that much)

MemberMember
(@deantonio)

Posted : 07/07/2007 1:05 pm

yup, Ive been convinced for a while and while I don't like my new diet Id rather have clear skin

its a shame that dermatologists deny the fact that acne is caused by foods, only attributing to the problem and ruining more peoples lives

MemberMember
(@abg-fairy)

Posted : 07/07/2007 5:28 pm

When I was 19, I left for Mexico with virtually perfect skin, but after being there for a week or two, my skin started breaking out but nothing severe or scar causing. It was like that the entire 4 months that I was there, and others that went experienced that as well. We attributed it to the environment, which was hotter and more humid than we were used to. I suppose it could have been the food too? I was an exchange student with a wonderful family that had their own cook, and oh my goodness, did I eat good while I was there!! haha I ate LOTS of corn tortillas, hahaha - I suppose that could have been a factor?

On another note, when I was 27, I spent a couple of months in Europe (mostly England in the Cotswolds area). My mild acne didn't worsen, but when I returned, I discovered that my acne had started scarring! Something I picked up perhaps that messed with the healing process? My acne had never scarred before then. Thank goodness I discovered green smoothies about a year later that stopped the blemishes that were leaving behind scars, but I still wonder why I stopped healing correctly.

.....ah, the mysteries of acne!

MemberMember
(@notadoctor)

Posted : 07/07/2007 5:50 pm

Here's an idea.

Was she eating raw dairy products in the USSR?

In many places outside of the US, raw dairy is actually the norm while pasteurized isn't.

There are a lot of people that don't process pasteurized (cooked) dairy very well, but they can handle raw dairy just fine.

There's also the issue of her age...if she's still in her teens or early twenties, certain genes are being activated and deactivated as she grows up, affecting the way her body processes food which could lead to acne. This sort of change could've coincidentally happened in the last month or so.

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 07/07/2007 7:20 pm

But I don't understand, what is in the milk that would be doing this to us? I remember someone posting a credible article saying that the hormones in the milk don't affect us as they get passed right through. And that our bodies produce more of it. Is it an allergy to the milk? But if people are fine overseas and not here, then it's not an allergy to it right? Maybe it's because of the enzymes that are destroyed in the process? What is it? I know you guys probably have a good clue, what do you think?

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 07/07/2007 7:39 pm

What if it's not diet related at all, but hormone related or something else?

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 07/08/2007 5:20 am

But I don't understand, what is in the milk that would be doing this to us? I remember someone posting a credible article saying that the hormones in the milk don't affect us as they get passed right through. And that our bodies produce more of it. Is it an allergy to the milk? But if people are fine overseas and not here, then it's not an allergy to it right? Maybe it's because of the enzymes that are destroyed in the process? What is it? I know you guys probably have a good clue, what do you think?
MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 07/08/2007 11:21 am

Basically when you pasteurize milk, you change its molecular structure. Some people react badly to milk that has been altered through pasteurization because their body doesn't properly process these altered molecules. On the other hand, some people can drink raw milk with no problems because its structure hasn't been altered by excessive heat.

Unfortunate people like myself have bad reactions to all milk, pasteurized or raw...

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 07/08/2007 12:50 pm

Basically when you pasteurize milk, you change its molecular structure. Some people react badly to milk that has been altered through pasteurization because their body doesn't properly process these altered molecules. On the other hand, some people can drink raw milk with no problems because its structure hasn't been altered by excessive heat.

Unfortunate people like myself have bad reactions to all milk, pasteurized or raw...

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 07/08/2007 12:56 pm

I was on a study-abroad in Budapest from August-December last year, and during that time period I got to know B-pest really well but I also saw other parts of Europe (Zadar, Bucharest, Prague, Amsterdam primarily). One thing I noticed was that in Croatia, Romania, and especially Hungary, adult acne was much much MUCH more widespread. I hardly ever see it here in the US, but over there, probably half of the women of all ages had mild acne that makeup failed to completely conceal, and a good number of the men, too.

MemberMember
(@ndnromeo)

Posted : 07/08/2007 1:28 pm

Yeah. Lactose breaks me out, casein gives me other weird symptoms although no breakouts, gluten grains give me breakouts incredibly easily and other grains aren't quite as bad, but if I eat enough of them they'll break me out too.
MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 07/08/2007 1:56 pm

Yeah. Lactose breaks me out, casein gives me other weird symptoms although no breakouts, gluten grains give me breakouts incredibly easily and other grains aren't quite as bad, but if I eat enough of them they'll break me out too.

What other symptoms do you get? Also, when you break out, is it only on the face, or is on your back/chest/scalp as well?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/08/2007 2:00 pm

What other symptoms do you get? Also, when you break out, is it only on the face, or is on your back/chest/scalp as well?

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 07/08/2007 3:32 pm

I get digestion problems from casein (and gluten) and they also affect me mentally in weird ways, making me lethargic/slow and then later nervous/anxious/hyper. I break out on my back, face and sometimes scalp. Rarely ever on my chest.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 07/08/2007 3:57 pm

Yeah, in some people casein and gluten and possibly other grains cause weird changes in your serotonin and dopamine levels. These effects can be as strong as any prescription or many illegal drugs. This is why some people are physically addicted to grains and dairy. You actually get real withdrawal symptoms.

The theory is that these mental changes are caused by gluten and casein molecules leaking into your bloodstream through a leaky gut.

MemberMember
(@user24582)

Posted : 07/08/2007 6:47 pm

Yeah, in some people casein and gluten and possibly other grains cause weird changes in your serotonin and dopamine levels. These effects can be as strong as any prescription or many illegal drugs. This is why some people are physically addicted to grains and dairy. You actually get real withdrawal symptoms.

The theory is that these mental changes are caused by gluten and casein molecules leaking into your bloodstream through a leaky gut.

OMG Healthoid! No wonder I have a such a hard time quiting gluten products. I like get up in middle of nights and all I can think of is eating bread or anything with gluten. Like its cocaine or something. My name is dancedd and I am a gluten addict! When u mentioned the analogy with prescription drugs. It all made sense to me. Well I'll keep trying to avoid them. lol