Notifications
Clear all

Raised, Red Bump After a Cortisone Shot for Cyst?

MemberMember
(@tckor5000)

Posted : 10/14/2015 11:57 pm

About a month ago I had a cortisone shot in my neck (right below my ear) for a cyst. I got the cyst from trying to pop a deep pimple a few months ago and it sort of hardened, and the dermatologist thought cortisone would be the best bet to get rid of it.

The cyst has disappeared, but now, in the last few days, I've developed a red bump at the site of the cortisone injection. It's round, soft, and raised. I've read that some of the side effects of cortisone shots can be pitting/indentation, so I'm a little surprised to see a bump instead. It kind of looks like a scab, but it's not dry/flaky like a scab is. I'm calling my dermatologist tomorrow but it'll be a long wait for an appointment and I'm curious if anyone has any ideas what it might be.

Thank you for any advice/thought's y'all might have.

MemberMember
(@tracy521)

Posted : 10/15/2015 8:50 am

sounds like something might still be in there. i feel often times that if you dont get the core out of the cyst that it will keep coming back. most times its smaller than before but yeah when you call mention that you had a shot and that you have a bump now. maybe it just needs extracted at this point but dont pick at it.

MemberMember
(@seekingsmoothness)

Posted : 10/18/2015 2:18 am

The contents of the cyst are still there and is making its way out. Just like the saying "what goes up must come down" same is true for skin, what is in the skin must come out, it doesn't go in the other direction. Think of it as the skin growing out and carrying the cyst content with it.

Sometimes the sac needs to be removed but let's hope that's not the case.

MemberMember
(@shwetam)

Posted : 01/06/2017 1:29 am

Hi! Did your bump ever go down? I'm going through the same thing right now and it's on my cheek! Help!