Notifications
Clear all

Dealing With Red Marks/scarring During And Right After Accutane

MemberMember
(@moneyball29)

Posted : 03/16/2015 1:43 pm

So I'm about 3 and half months into Accutane now, and I'm pretty happy so far. I haven't gotten any breakouts in about a month now, and hopefully I won't for the rest of the treatment. I was on 40mg for a month, and then was boosted up to 60 mg/month ever since.

My acne is really only on my jawline right on the sides of my chin, which sucks because I think I've ruined the chance of ever growing a good beard. But if I can just get rid of acne and reduce the scarring as much as possible I'd be happy with that.

So I've been rubbing organic aloe vera gel onto my scars/red marks twice a day, and plan on continuing to do so for the foreseeable future. Does anyone have any recommendations for anything else I should be doing, and how soon after I end Accutane I should look into treatments for scarring like fraxel laser resurfacing. I plan on doing about 5 or 6 months on Accutane by the way. Any other advice for treating the scars besides aloe vera gel, or honey and lemon, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

im sorry I meant to say I'm about 2 1/2 months into Accutane now

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 03/16/2015 8:50 pm

Most doctors advise waiting a year after stopping Accutane to pursue scar treatments. This is because Accutane significantly impairs wound healing even for a while after stopping the drug. I personally waited two years although that was probably not necessary (I'm just paranoid). When you say scarring I'm assuming you mean pitted scarring and not just PIH. Lasers tend to be a gamble with pitted scarring and are also insanely expensive. I'd look into needling and subcision when the time comes as those are cheaper, generally more effective and with much less risk and down time. Of course scar revision is also dependent on the type of scarring you have (rolling, boxcar, icepick).