Notifications
Clear all

Red Marks On Nose From Squeezing... Help!

MemberMember
(@nikkoav)

Posted : 03/05/2015 2:04 am

Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts on this site for many years, but have never posted.

So I'm 34 years old and although I had a nasty battle with acne from ages 14-30, I thought that I had turned a corner. I haven't had a bad break-out for a long time. Unfortunately, about a month ago I became a bit obssessive with some minor blackheads on my nose and squeezed the heck out of them. While I did get some of the gunk out, my nose became VERY red and it hurt pretty badly. I freaked out but figured that the redness would go away, and I went to bed.

Much to my dismay, the next morning I awoke with red marks on my nose, mostly located on the sides and corners of my nose. Ugh. I can't tell if they're broken blood vessels or something else... I went from having clear skin on my nose to having blotchy red marks! Worse, it doesn't look like they're getting much better with time.

I've tried an AHA mask, Paula's Choice BHA liquid, an aspirin mask, exfoliating scrubs, aloe Vera, benzoyl peroxide, and nothing seems to make the red marks fade. I've done a little Google research and from what I can tell, broken capillaries do not really heal on their own. These marks are super embarrassing to me and are actually getting in the way of my day-to-day functioning; I'm very self-conscious about them. I'm considering getting some sort of light therapy to fade them. Having acne is bad enough, but at the very least I know that it will eventually go away. I'm not sure when these marks will go away!

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any advice/experience would be greatly appreciated! I'll be going to Florida for vacation in a few days... I'm planning on getting some sun to attempt to "blend in" my skin.

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 03/05/2015 11:43 am

How long has it been red? I'd try an arnica cream or ointment. It heals any kind of trauma which is what that is. If you can get to a natural food store they would have it.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/05/2015 12:20 pm

Red marks can take quite awhile to fade but rest assured these are not permanent and will fade eventually even if you do nothing. Just give it time. You can try things to speed it up, such as AHA (this treatment faded my son's red marks on his forehead in just a couple of months) or something more homeopathic like the above poster suggests. But they will not fade overnight or inside of a week even with treatment. Please try and be patient...the only cure for red marks is time.

Enjoy Florida! :)

MemberMember
(@nikkoav)

Posted : 03/05/2015 1:34 pm

thank you both - the marks have been red for over a month now. Usually for me, old acne marks fade gradually over time, but these marks haven't even begun to fade from what I can tell. And it's not from acne... it's from me binge-squeezing my nose to get gunk out of the pores one night. The next morning, the marks were there :-/

I'm afraid I've broken blood vessels.

I've never heard of arnica cream... but maybe I'll give it a shot ! I'm very interested in trying some kind of laser therapy for treatment of broken capillaries as well.

MemberMember
(@sam7377)

Posted : 09/09/2015 5:32 pm

thank you both - the marks have been red for over a month now. Usually for me, old acne marks fade gradually over time, but these marks haven't even begun to fade from what I can tell. And it's not from acne... it's from me binge-squeezing my nose to get gunk out of the pores one night. The next morning, the marks were there :-/

I'm afraid I've broken blood vessels.

I've never heard of arnica cream... but maybe I'll give it a shot ! I'm very interested in trying some kind of laser therapy for treatment of broken capillaries as well.

Curious in wondering if you ever went through with the laser therapy? I have a very similar situation i which i caused broken blood vessels on the side of my nose from squeezing. I will be getting V-beam laser treatment done in a couple of days and wanted to see if I should back out or not.

MemberMember
(@rishii95)

Posted : 07/19/2016 3:10 pm

Exactly the same thing happened with me today.. will it ever get better??

MemberMember
(@boldpurse)

Posted : 11/13/2016 9:21 pm

Rishii95 any improvement or recommendations? Sam7377, did laser surgery do the trick? I've had this spot on my nose due to this reason for about 2 years now.

MemberMember
(@peterso2)

Posted : 01/08/2017 8:59 pm

Any Update here? I've also got a spot on my nose from a similar situation...6 months for me with minimal improvement

MemberMember
(@trigs)

Posted : 03/16/2017 6:35 am

Hey guys, I know this a few months past some of peoples questions here regarding laser treatment but if any of you are still curious I can tell you about my experience. I had a problem with what looked like busted or broken blood vessels on the sides of my nose, one under my right eye, and a "nest" of them in between my eyebrows at the bridge of my nose.

First thing to note is that the Dermatologist told me they are not actually broken blood vessels but rather blood vessels that are at the surface of the skin. Apparently its a common misconception, anyway! I can tell you that laser treatment is absolutely amazing! After only one treatment my face was cleared of almost all of them!.

I highly recommend to anyone at least who have those red blood vessel looking lines around the nose or anywhere for that matter on there face. Laser works and boy does it work well. I paid about $400 Australian for the treatment which only took about 10 minutes.  I will tell you however that with beauty results comes pain  My sensation/feeling was like a tiny hot needle shooting into my skin and pulling back out but my partner describes it as someone stretching a big rubber band and hitting your skin at high velocity with it! 

I`m covered in tattoos and I really at that point thought that getting inked is much more pleasant than this laser! well, that`s really only because it`s  on your face and the skin is much more sensitive. The good thing is though it`s a very quick procedure.
Any questions feel free to reply or whatever, I hope that helps somewhat for you guys

MemberMember
(@themanwhosoldtheworld)

Posted : 01/22/2018 3:53 pm

I did the same thing to my nose back in high school. I came home from school one day, and I always had blackheads on my nose. By the end of the school day my nose would always be oily and I'd usually go home and shower because it made me uncomfortable. So one day I come home and I'd been thinking that if I just squeezed all my blackheads, there were so many of them, they would go away permanently! So I squeezed two of them, one on the front of my nose and one on the side. It wasn't really working so I gave up. I looked in the mirror a little bit later and I had these two large red circles on my nose :/ ...They didn't go away for a very long time. Eventually, as I was graduating high school, they faded. After high school I pretty much forgot about them. I mean, they were gone. Then about four months ago I started breaking out again, my nose was oily all the time etc. So I'm looking in the mirror one afternoon and I notice two discolored marks on my nose. They were the same marks from high school and they had returned. Several years later. Had they always been there? Apparently. Idk if these things will ever fade on their own. Since they've reappeared they've gotten slightly darker. One's darker than the other, it's like a a very light red now. It just bugs me because 1) it basically was the worst experience with acne I ever had in my life and now I'm reminded of it constantly 2) It's larger than a normal pimple, it doesn't even look like a pimple it's just a red circle and 3) idk if it'll go away. Who knew squeezing a blackhead could permanently damage your skin? I'm gonna go see a dermatologist, eventually, idk when. For now, I've just stopped caring.