Notifications
Clear all

Post Inflammatory Erythema?

MemberMember
(@aquasea)

Posted : 06/30/2013 5:57 am

i have the exact same thing, do silicone sheets really work? i have fairly sensitive skin...

I don't know...I have never tried it...I'm still using my face masks & beta glucan to heal my skin...it's slowly getting better...I'll give it between 1-3 months to see if it completely heals using this treatment protocol....if I need more help, I might then consider using silicon sheeting...

MemberMember
(@umaid619)

Posted : 06/30/2013 11:34 am

Try tumeric paste, i did thus for the first week and saw big improvements! however it hasn't gotten rid of it completely and it has been 3 months,..it is so frustrating, i may try the silicone sheets, and will let you know if anything happens, i doubt it though, these things are impossible to get rid of

MemberMember
(@umaid619)

Posted : 06/30/2013 12:30 pm

Also i'm wondering if there are any Vitamins that will help it? i've tried Zinc but it made them worse, i read online that vitamin K, and C are beneficial for bruises, could this also work for red marks?

MemberMember
(@lennon33)

Posted : 07/16/2013 9:23 pm

I'm going to try silicone for my erythema, I'll post back here with my results in a month. We have to find a solution to this.

Have tried:

turmeric (topically and ingested) - no noticeable improvement after a week (maybe I should have tried for longer..?)

aloe vera - this seems to be the one thing that's worked the best so far..

tea tree oil - NO, HORRIBLE. (tried this before I knew what it was)

BP- OH GOD WAS THAT A MISTAKE

I'd love to hear what all you have tried and what effects it has had on your erythema!

MemberMember
(@merav)

Posted : 07/17/2013 7:06 am

Look guys

I have EXACTLY the same problem going on my face, and I do have it for 2 years now. What i found out so far is that :

-exfoliating doesnt work at all, it makes it look worse for some time
-shaving makes it more red
-cleaning face with mild cetaphil helped abit

-Ive been to Dreseden trip with my class in winter and in cold air redness completely dissapear
-Smiling, stretching face makes it more red

To the author of this thread: did it finally heal after all this time? You made this thread in 2010, how is it going now?

MemberMember
(@umaid619)

Posted : 07/17/2013 12:29 pm

Merav, what you just stated is exactly what happens to my marks...i've had mine for almost a year now, however i'm taking 4000mg of vitamin C and 100mg of k2, and vitamin E, seeing slight improvement, but ofcourse they're still there...i'm not even sure anymore, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me!

Might try vitamin C/K cream topically, have heard good reviews about these....

Also Tumeric paste is not a good idea if you have sensitive skin, i think it probably made my worse in the long run.

MemberMember
(@lennon33)

Posted : 07/19/2013 5:42 pm

It really does amaze me that in our modernized society we haven't found a solution to this problem. We explore other planets through space travel and use the force that exists between atoms to destroy entire cities; yet we still haven't found a cure to erythema. :(

MemberMember
(@mattman937)

Posted : 08/18/2013 1:04 am

Try doing headstands, i believe it may help.

* moderator edit, link leading to advertising are not allowed, see board rules*

1. By reversing the flow of gravity, a headstand simulates a face lift by letting your skin hang in the opposite direction. The inverted position of a headstand also flushes fresh nutrients and oxygen to the face, creating a glowing effect on the skin.

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 09/24/2013 3:45 pm

Hey,

I've been doing a lot of research about post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (pih) recently, because like many of you, I have had red marks that vary from pink to purple to bright red, and have had them for almost 2 years. Upon doing some research, I came across various websites explaining that PIH tends to NOT actually be red or pink in colour, but actually light brown to black. I found several sites indicating that these red/pink marks are actually another inflammatory response of the skin called post inflammatory erythema. This makes a little more sense, because it's probably why my derm initially prescribed by hydroquinone, which is mostly for brown spots, and only seemed to make my red marks much worse (this was over a year ago).

Some of you may be aware that I have been getting V-Beam treatments for my red marks (just got my second one yesterday), because I believe it may be a more vascular issue (simply because they are faint when I take cold showers or red when slightly irritated). My derm that I am currently seeing even told me that PIH tends to be brown in colour, and seemed to agree that what gives redness to my marks is probably blood vessels.

Surprisingly enough, I can't seem to find much info about PIE online, so I was wondering what you guys know about it. Am I on the right track... am I making any sense? Does PIE have to be treated differently then PIH and is V-Beam any help? Kind of hoping to make this a good place for people to better understand the difference, including myself.

Thanks

Any update on your erythema three years on? My face is full of it atm and it's really depressing me. If it weren't for the red marks, my skin would be totally clear.

MemberMember
(@smokeyb)

Posted : 04/05/2014 7:16 pm

Mega bump. You guys still here?

I took an antihistamine once in the morning because the PIE was super red. It decreased quite a bit!

Anyways, I will try these silicon sheets as well and actually post my results to see if they work.

MemberMember
(@julian1)

Posted : 10/12/2014 10:39 am

Any news here? Have had mine for like 5 years :|

MemberMember
(@skyline97)

Posted : 10/13/2014 3:53 am

This is interesting, any one tried snail mucus/cream?

Apprently helps red marks alot, I'm trying to find out myself i might buy some of ebay.

MemberMember
(@lennon33)

Posted : 02/18/2016 12:01 am

anyone with any luck?

MemberMember
(@clearskinhunt)

Posted : 06/14/2017 12:38 am

We have to bring back this thread I read through the whole thing and it was so informative the first time I've read something actually mapping out what I have and being so informative/easy to understand. I can't believe this discussion started basically 7 years ago.

Anyways I never had a name for it but kind of put together the type of scarring I had and the reasoning for it. It's a pinkish skin tone splotch right next to my nose on the inner cheek and looking back at old pictures it was so much worse and I didn't even realize it at the time I'm happy with how far its come but its still here. I've had it for about two years now. And it was from pinching and squeezing the hell out of a persistent pimple spot. Which is consistent with the trauma to the skin that other users wrote about. Most people don't really recognize it now but it insanely bothers me and the days where it lightens for whatever reason I feel like a completely different person. Mainly because its on the center point of my face so it really messes up the symmetry and overall look of my face in my opinion.

Interestingly enough I recently used a glycolic acid face wash (not to be used daily like maybe once a week) quite cheap by Mario Badescu and washed my face a good three times because I was wearing a good amount of makeup. I usually don't use super warm or nearly hot water on my skin but my shower was letting out random surges of hotter water so inevitably my skin took on the steamier water instead. I got out of the shower pretty quickly and my skin felt really good so i looked at it in natural lighting close up and it was all very bright including that problem spot. People with PIE would know that hot showers and stuff of that nature usually make spots redder and more pronounced but to my surprise directly after the shower it wasn't. ( I would not suggest using this method for erythema scarring early on because its a bit harsh probably better for someone who's had a spot for awhile) I've used this product before and I don't remember having results that great but I'll continue using it every week and a half to see if it's effective. Regardless of whether or not it helps with the scar spot it really shrunk my pores so I would recommend it.

I'll post about anything important that drastically helps my erythema spot to help others because it is such a terrible thing. I truly share the frustration of others on this thread. I wish that people from the beginning of this discussion would update. I'm very curious to know what their long term results were. And I've used some things that have temporarily brightened my skin such as green tea topically and orally as well and aloe vera topically and even baking soda toothpaste which is probably terrible for your skin but it did brighten the spot temporarily. None of these by any means are solutions.

MemberMember
(@iamanenglishlearner)

Posted : 02/22/2018 7:42 am

I had two of these things after prolong inflammation in my face.
It'd been over ten years, didn't improve.
It's slightly raised if I slide my fingertip across it.
Is there anyone having succeed to improve it? Pulse diode laser. Or silicon?
Any update from anyone? Or everyone had given up and learn to live with it?

MemberMember
(@sickofacnee)

Posted : 06/04/2018 4:09 am

hey been suffering from PIE for months now, does the silicone sheet work????

MemberMember
(@aaajjj)

Posted : 07/04/2018 7:59 am

On 8/26/2010 at 11:38 AM, Trae Michael said:

Kraven...a tan will not "prolong" your problem. I have a gradual tanning lotion with SPF that moisturizes without clogging pores and protects me from the sun, and every time I put it on I slowly get tanner, it's great |::D I still do it even after my pink spots disappeared

how long did it take to disappear?

MemberMember
(@venustcup)

Posted : 11/19/2020 9:26 pm

Any success stories here with treating PIE?

MemberMember
(@evgekrvgmail-com)

Posted : 09/10/2021 9:53 pm

This thread needs to be brought back. I'm assuming OP's problem went away since the thread ended. Maybe time is really the best healer.

On 2/22/2018 at 6:42 AM, Iamanenglishlearner said:

I had two of these things after prolong inflammation in my face.
It'd been over ten years, didn't improve.
It's slightly raised if I slide my fingertip across it.
Is there anyone having succeed to improve it? Pulse diode laser. Or silicon?
Any update from anyone? Or everyone had given up and learn to live with it?

That sounds like a hypertrophic scar, not normal PIE. Hypertrophic scars tend to be red and stay red for a long long time. Your best bet is to see a plastic surgeon for scar revision.