Notifications
Clear all

Spotting on birth control normal?

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 02/24/2016 2:07 am

Hello beautiful people,

so I have just started going back on birth control for one week. The last time I took Marvelon, the experience was terrible. And this time I'm taking Yaz. I took my first pill on the first day of my period, and around the 6th day my period ended, but then on the 8th day I start to have really bad cramps and spotting. Has anyone experienced the same thing while on Yaz or other brands of BC pills? It's a little freaking me out now because the last time I had spotting on Marvelon it caused a MAJOR cystic breakout and it was the worst in my life :S

Thank you!!

MemberMember
(@fiercepenguin)

Posted : 02/24/2016 8:49 am

Hi! Spotting is a common side effect, especially if you have just switched to a different pill. In that case it usually will stop after you've been taking the same pill for about 3 months. If it's still bothering you after 3 months, it might help to switch to a pill with more estrogen (you're taking Yaz which has 20mcg of estradiol, so an easy change for you might be to switch to Yasmin, which has the same progestin but 30mcg of estradiol).

When I first started taking birth control I was on a low-dose pill (20 mcg) also and had spotting off and on for 3 months, and after that it worked very well for me for about a year. This is just my experience, but while I had spotting in the beginning it didn't affect my skin, so it won't necessarily make it worse. When I started having spotting again, I did end up switching to a regular dose pill, which has completely fixed the problem so far.

It's recommended that you give it a few months for everything to get better. It's likely that any new breakouts you have during those few months will clear up too without coming back. Sometimes your body just needs to adjust.