Notifications
Clear all

Hormonal acne after BCP

MemberMember
(@chloemitchell)

Posted : 02/24/2016 4:39 am

Someone help me!
I was on the BCP for four years since I was 16,
When I come off the pill my skin was fine for about 6 months, then I broke out badly on my chin and its been like that ever since. I didn't have a period for six months either, and I had a blood test. My doctor said I have high testosterone and low LH (Lutienizing Hormone), which I think isn't characteristic of PCOS?
I started taking maca powder every morning and two weeks later I got my period, my doctor was very surprised haha. I still had acne, and my periods were happening though not regular, one month I had three periods, then none for another three months. For the last three months I have had regular periods (without relying on maca) but they are very heavy and I have had bad PMS symptoms as usual. My acne happens every month really badly during ovulation. I have had another blood test today and am waiting for my results!
Basically I bought Vitex but I haven't tried it yet as I am scared haha. Would vitex be good for me or bad? And how does it affect hormones? Especially LH. I am going to see what my blood test says before trying it.
Thank you to anyone reading this, and anyone willing to help me.
xxx

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 02/24/2016 2:32 pm

9 hours ago, ChloeMitchell said:

Someone help me!
I was on the BCP for four years since I was 16,
When I come off the pill my skin was fine for about 6 months, then I broke out badly on my chin and its been like that ever since. I didn't have a period for six months either, and I had a blood test. My doctor said I have high testosterone and low LH (Lutienizing Hormone), which I think isn't characteristic of PCOS?
I started taking maca powder every morning and two weeks later I got my period, my doctor was very surprised haha. I still had acne, and my periods were happening though not regular, one month I had three periods, then none for another three months. For the last three months I have had regular periods (without relying on maca) but they are very heavy and I have had bad PMS symptoms as usual. My acne happens every month really badly during ovulation. I have had another blood test today and am waiting for my results!
Basically I bought Vitex but I haven't tried it yet as I am scared haha. Would vitex be good for me or bad? And how does it affect hormones? Especially LH. I am going to see what my blood test says before trying it.
Thank you to anyone reading this, and anyone willing to help me.
xxx

Hi. My acne is also worse those 2 weeks leading up to a period. I tried vitex for a while. I didnt feel it did much for my acne but did make my period more regular. Vitex is meant to stimulate our bodies to create more progesterone. I have found estroblock to be helping my skin. It contains a substance that comes from vegetables and helps the body detoxify "bad" estrogens. From what i've been reading if your skin is worse after ovulation/2 weeks before period that could indicate estrogen dominance/or low progesterone because during this time estrogen levels get very high.
Its probably a good idea to see what your blood tests say. Its hard to know if something is going to work for you or not because everyone is different. But i always think its worth trying something rather then doing nothing 🙂

MemberMember
(@chloemitchell)

Posted : 02/26/2016 2:05 am

Oh I really hoped vitex would work! Well if my results come back the same, I think I'll try it anyway, I suppose everyone is different. I think I'm also going to try saw palmetto for my high testosterone. I've been taking DIM for my acne on the sides of my mouth and upper lip which have completely gone now, but it's still bad on my chin. Thank you so much for your help! It's so nice to talk to someone going through the same thing, oh how I long for my clear skin I had before the pill haha xxx