Notifications
Clear all

What Is The Deal With Hormone Testing?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/16/2013 1:21 pm

Yeah, usually they'll prescribe it short term, then either take you off bcp or switch you to another pill like yasmin. Wow, you are on a lot of things right now. Be careful because all those pills you are taking can cause digestive issues and liver problems. At least take some probiotics to make sure the antibiotics don't kill all the good bacteria in your gut. If the antibiotics and bcp are working, then you might not be able to track your breakouts because your hormones are changing already. I still had some breakouts around my period while on bcp, so I don't think they cleared me 100%. I was too depressed about my weight and had crazy mood swings to even care about the state of my face, so I don't remember how well each pill cleared me. The one I do remember because I wasn't as depressed was kariva - it comes in other names too, but that made my blood sugar drop abruptly and my legs were getting numb a lot so I stopped it after about 2 years I think.

I was prescribed antidepressants a few times, but again I was getting numbness and the doctor took me off lexapro after 2 days, so that was my only experience with antidepressants. What has helped me tremendously is a high dose of vitamin D, which my new doctor prescribed because I was deficient. Within 1 week, my mood changed and I have been feeling much better since supplementing with vitamin D. So if you ever consider getting off the anti-depressants, check your vitamin D levels to see if it would benefit you to supplement with it.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/16/2013 1:38 pm

Yeah, usually they'll prescribe it short term, then either take you off bcp or switch you to another pill like yasmin. Wow, you are on a lot of things right now. Be careful because all those pills you are taking can cause digestive issues and liver problems. At least take some probiotics to make sure the antibiotics don't kill all the good bacteria in your gut. If the antibiotics and bcp are working, then you might not be able to track your breakouts because your hormones are changing already. I still had some breakouts around my period while on bcp, so I don't think they cleared me 100%. I was too depressed about my weight and had crazy mood swings to even care about the state of my face, so I don't remember how well each pill cleared me. The one I do remember because I wasn't as depressed was kariva - it comes in other names too, but that made my blood sugar drop abruptly and my legs were getting numb a lot so I stopped it after about 2 years I think.

I was prescribed antidepressants a few times, but again I was getting numbness and the doctor took me off lexapro after 2 days, so that was my only experience with antidepressants. What has helped me tremendously is a high dose of vitamin D, which my new doctor prescribed because I was deficient. Within 1 week, my mood changed and I have been feeling much better since supplementing with vitamin D. So if you ever consider getting off the anti-depressants, check your vitamin D levels to see if it would benefit you to supplement with it.

Ah ok, well I really hope they transfer me onto another pill when I have to come off this one then because I do think it is significantly helping both the cycle and the acne problems. I am still breaking out sometimes but mostly with whiteheads now whereas it used to be great massive cysts all the time. I'm definitely not clear yet but have noticed a big improvement in the last couple of months so that's a positive.

I know, I hate being on so many things at once. :( I'm on Dianette, Lymecycline and Sertraline every day as well as Epiduo topically. I really hope I'm not doing my digestive system or my liver too much damage! It is something that's been worrying me. I was having one of those little Actimel drinks every day but I recently ran out of them so haven't done so for a while. Is there a brand of probiotic you would recommend? I looked into them when I first started the antibiotics but I wasn't sure which would be best to get so I tried the Actimel instead in the end. However, as I've been trying to avoid dairy as well the Actimel isn't really ideal.

What you mention about vitamin D is really interesting because I am actually extremely worried about coming off the anti-depressants when the time comes in case I revert back to how I was before. I honestly don't think I'd cope with that a second time round so I will definitely look into vitamin D supplements if they might help in any way.

Thanks for all the advice! :)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/16/2013 2:51 pm

Some anti-depressants can worse acne btw. I have a friend who is always on anti-depressants and is not acne prone, and when her doctor switched her to a new one she was breaking out a lot. So you may want to google your anti-depressant's side effects and see if there are people complaining about acne.

Digestive enzymes and a dairy-free probiotic can help your body cope better with the medication, and even absorb those pills more efficiently. I take PB-8 vegetarian formula probiotic, but I'm not sure if you can get it in the UK. I'm sure Boots has many options too, just make sure it doesn't have dairy, gluten, corn, gelatin, sugar, etc. The first time I took probiotics I tried Solgar's Acidophilus and they were pretty good. Solgar is one of the best supplement companies in Europe, and they don't put too much crap in their capsules. You could start with just acidophilus and see how your body reacts to it. I read that some strands of probiotics can exacerbate acne, so acidophilus would be your best bet. I took acidophilus after coming off birth control and it helped me regulate my metabolism and lose the bloating from bcp.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 09/17/2013 11:38 am

Some anti-depressants can worse acne btw. I have a friend who is always on anti-depressants and is not acne prone, and when her doctor switched her to a new one she was breaking out a lot. So you may want to google your anti-depressant's side effects and see if there are people complaining about acne.

Digestive enzymes and a dairy-free probiotic can help your body cope better with the medication, and even absorb those pills more efficiently. I take PB-8 vegetarian formula probiotic, but I'm not sure if you can get it in the UK. I'm sure Boots has many options too, just make sure it doesn't have dairy, gluten, corn, gelatin, sugar, etc. The first time I took probiotics I tried Solgar's Acidophilus and they were pretty good. Solgar is one of the best supplement companies in Europe, and they don't put too much crap in their capsules. You could start with just acidophilus and see how your body reacts to it. I read that some strands of probiotics can exacerbate acne, so acidophilus would be your best bet. I took acidophilus after coming off birth control and it helped me regulate my metabolism and lose the bloating from bcp.

Oh dear. Well acne isn't listed at all as a side effect in the leaflet but when I Googled "Sertraline and acne" it came up with loads of people saying they'd had outbreaks of cystic acne whilst taking it. Now I don't really know what to do. Are there any anti-depressants that don't cause acne? If I've caused my own cystic acne this summer by choosing to ingest an anti-depressant then I am going to be absolutely livid at myself!

Thanks for all the advice on probiotics. There are so many different ones that it's really difficult to know where to start with them but I'll definitely look up the ones you mentioned and see if I can get hold of any of them. :)

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/18/2013 1:20 pm

So the antidepressants could explain why your acne suddenly got worse. I noticed some of my friends getting acne when starting anti depressants, and they previously had clear skin. The only natural anti depressant that doesn't cause acne is vitamin D grinwink.gif