Notifications
Clear all

Any women tried Spironolactone?

MemberMember
(@hideekeo)

Posted : 11/28/2011 7:55 pm

I have just been prescribed Spiro....I have a few concerns. I am an avid runner and run very hard during all types of weather...I heard that exercising in hot weather can be an issue. I am also a wine lover....I do not have to drink a glass or two a night, but has anyone ever drank socially with this med...I generally never exceed 3 glasses in a sitting and that is about twice a month to once a week.

MemberMember
(@zitty-mcghee)

Posted : 11/28/2011 9:27 pm

Hi ladies, anyone out there sound like me? I am a 28 year old female who has been battling cystic acne for about 4 months. I used to have virtually flawless skin until last Spring, when I, for a variety of reasons, decided to go off of my birth control pills (I previously was taking Junel Fe 24). My skin was fine for about 3 months and I was enjoying my self-proscribed drug detox. Then, in July, my skin staged a MUTINY!!!! I started getting ridiculous cysts on my chin - so bad that I was embarrassed to leave the house. Noticing that my breakouts got worse before my period, I immediately went back on birth control but switched to the NuvaRing. Saw very little change in my acne. I was getting cortisone shots every other week when I finally begged my dermo to put me on Spironolactone. I have been taking 75 mg a day for the past 3 months and am still having daily freak outs about how ugly my face has become. I can't seem to shake the cysts that I have --- I've gotten 2 rounds of cortisone injections on two cysts on my chin and the things won't die!! I'm also using Epiduo each night and Erythromycin and Mupirocin ointments for spot treatments. Recently, my skin has gotten worse with another massive cyst along my hairline and a third bugger on my chin.

I'm willing to stick it out on the Spiro, but am wondering if my birth control has anything to do with my "condition". Anyone else out there taking NuvaRing and Spiro? If so, I'd be interested to know your story and if you found that combination to be an eventual success. And, is it true that my ace is going to get worse (even after 3 months after taking Spiro) before it gets better??

Thanks in advance,

Zitty McGhee

MemberMember
(@sunflower007)

Posted : 12/22/2011 7:24 am

Hey everybody,

My dermatologist just putted me on Spironolactone yesterday and I am very nervous about taking the pill. I felt pretty rushed during my appointment so I didn't get to ask too many questions about it. I'm so gladed to discovery this forum while I tried to google more info about the pill. Can anyone tell me if the pill affected their potassium level. I am a big fruits and veggies fan and eats quite a lot of them through out the day so I was afraid that I might become hyperkalemia. Did anybody change their diet while on the pill? I don't mind cutting back on my fruits and veggies intake but I read that I need to AVOID all foods high in potassium. I googled a list of foods that are high in potassium and found a lot of foods are. Does that mean I have to avoid all of the listed foods?! I am a big food lover and if I need to change my diet complete then I don't know if Spironolactone is right for me.

Ps. I read through most of the posts and is very glad to know that Spironolactone had helped with the acne problems for most users, I hope it will work for me too.

MemberMember
(@kayleigh-cummings)

Posted : 12/23/2011 12:45 pm

Hi ladies, I am new to this board and have been reading everyone's posts about their experience with Spiro. Today is my third day on it and my derm is tapering me up to 75mg daily. Right now I take 25mg for one wk, 50 the next and then 75 on the third week. I wonder if 75mg will be sufficient? Sounds like most people here are taking at least 100mg. Well, I will post updates on my progress, I also suffer from migraines so I'm praying this med does not aggravate them.

MemberMember
(@ilivelaughlove)

Posted : 12/23/2011 6:26 pm

ive been taking 50mgs of spiro for 5 months and just upped my dose to 75mgs but during the whole time i have been on it,it completly wiped out my headaches lol

MemberMember
(@eastie)

Posted : 12/25/2011 5:53 pm

I'v been on spiro for about 10 1/2 months. I've had EXCELLENT!!!!! It's taken 10 months, but I'm glad I've keep having faith. All I can say to others who are starting spiro is patience, patience, patience, patience.

what was your dose?did u take it with BCP?

Hey everybody,

My dermatologist just putted me on Spironolactone yesterday and I am very nervous about taking the pill. I felt pretty rushed during my appointment so I didn't get to ask too many questions about it. I'm so gladed to discovery this forum while I tried to google more info about the pill. Can anyone tell me if the pill affected their potassium level. I am a big fruits and veggies fan and eats quite a lot of them through out the day so I was afraid that I might become hyperkalemia. Did anybody change their diet while on the pill? I don't mind cutting back on my fruits and veggies intake but I read that I need to AVOID all foods high in potassium. I googled a list of foods that are high in potassium and found a lot of foods are. Does that mean I have to avoid all of the listed foods?! I am a big food lover and if I need to change my diet complete then I don't know if Spironolactone is right for me.

Ps. I read through most of the posts and is very glad to know that Spironolactone had helped with the acne problems for most users, I hope it will work for me too.

I am also interested in that,I cant change m diet;/

MemberMember
(@kayleigh-cummings)

Posted : 12/26/2011 4:18 pm

Today is my 6th day on 25 mg of Spiro. I have noticed that in the past few days, I have not had ANY new breakouts and the old ones are clearing up faster than normal. My skin is dry and peeling right now due to Retin-A so I am just trying to keep my face hydrated. But so far so good considering that I usually have at least one or two new pimples every day.

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 01/31/2012 9:44 pm

I don't know if people are still posting to this thread, but I wanted to share my experience. My dermatologist put me on spiro exactly 9 days ago, and I am suffering an IB. I know it has been a very short amount of time and I am also on a low dose(50mg a day for 7 days, 75 the past 2 because I decided 50 wasn't enough). I've always had some sort of acne, but over the past few years it's gotten much worse... lot's of clogging and persistent cysts around my mouth/chin. I'm 22, live in NYC, and basically can not give up months and months of my life to an initial breakout. This is supposed to be the time of my life. I know this IB is better than suffering from acne more long term without spiro, but right now I feel like I'm at my wits end. My friends are texting me asking me where I am and why I'm not out with them and it hurts that I have to lie and risk them thinking I'm not a good friend. I can only say I'm sick or have cramps or have to work late for so long. Anyway, I would like to thank you all for you input and shared experience taking spiro because it has helped a lot.

smile.png

MemberMember
(@cl1234)

Posted : 02/01/2012 2:59 pm

I don't know if people are still posting to this thread, but I wanted to share my experience. My dermatologist put me on spiro exactly 9 days ago, and I am suffering an IB. I know it has been a very short amount of time and I am also on a low dose(50mg a day for 7 days, 75 the past 2 because I decided 50 wasn't enough). I've always had some sort of acne, but over the past few years it's gotten much worse... lot's of clogging and persistent cysts around my mouth/chin. I'm 22, live in NYC, and basically can not give up months and months of my life to an initial breakout. This is supposed to be the time of my life. I know this IB is better than suffering from acne more long term without spiro, but right now I feel like I'm at my wits end. My friends are texting me asking me where I am and why I'm not out with them and it hurts that I have to lie and risk them thinking I'm not a good friend. I can only say I'm sick or have cramps or have to work late for so long. Anyway, I would like to thank you all for you input and shared experience taking spiro because it has helped a lot.

smile.png

surfnyc: You sound exactly like me. I started spiro 15 days ago and have had/am having a bad outbreak (one of the worst I've ever had) right now. It may be an initial outbreak from the spiro, but who knows, it may just be bad timing. I have been "hiding out" as much as I can for the past week as well. I know it's hard. I always feel like bad friend when I cancel plans because of my skin, but I find I feel better when I talk to my friends about it. And I COMPLETELY understand what you mean when you say you can't give up months of your life because of acne. The 20's are supposed to be the time of our lives! Keep me updated on your progress! I could use the encouragement!

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 02/01/2012 4:05 pm

smile.png

surfnyc: You sound exactly like me. I started spiro 15 days ago and have had/am having a bad outbreak (one of the worst I've ever had) right now. It may be an initial outbreak from the spiro, but who knows, it may just be bad timing. I have been "hiding out" as much as I can for the past week as well. I know it's hard. I always feel like bad friend when I cancel plans because of my skin, but I find I feel better when I talk to my friends about it. And I COMPLETELY understand what you mean when you say you can't give up months of your life because of acne. The 20's are supposed to be the time of our lives! Keep me updated on your progress! I could use the encouragement!

It's good to hear other people are in the same boat. Keep me updated on your progress and I will definitely keep you posted on mine!

MemberMember
(@karbear310)

Posted : 02/03/2012 11:22 am

Hi everyone,

Yes, I have been on spir0 for almost two years now. I suffered with hormonal acne breakouts on my chin area for years, every since puberty, (which wasn't too bad, a few zits here and there that I could deal with) and then at the age of 27, due to high stress, my skin went completely out of whack. I started becoming more oily, started developing whiteheads all along my forehead, and starting getting more cyst like acne on the sides of my chin and lower cheeks, as well as my jawline. I tried everything before finally finding a derm. She started me out on 100 mg of spiro, once per day at nighttime, along with topical differin. This has worked wonders! It was not an immediate cure, it took prob 3-4 months for the pimples to become smaller, and then after about 6-7 months I was finally getting clear. I did notice a reduction in my skin oiliness and scalp oiliness after about 2 weeks though :) The only side effects I experienced were having to go to the bathroom more, as it is a diuretic, ( i drink a lot of water now or I feel weird) and weight gain, boo. I prob gained about 10 pounds within the first couple of months, and my breasts increased in size too. I also tended to feel more bloated. In the long run I am very happy with the results, as I work in a Spa, and just felt awful about my skin.

On a side note, in the past month, I am decreasing my dosage to 50 mg to see if it will help me lost some of the weight, and bloated feeling. It has been about 2 weeks now, and I don't see any changes to my skin yet. Fingers crossed :)

Hope this helps anyone!

Keri

MemberMember
(@surfnyc)

Posted : 02/12/2012 8:34 pm

So its been 3 weeks on spironolactone and it seemed as if my face was clearing up, but I woke up today with several painful cysts. I feel so discouraged! I am wondering if it's because I went out on Friday and got extremely drunk... Does anyone know if this can trigger breakouts on spiro or in general?

MemberMember
(@nanna)

Posted : 04/10/2012 4:50 pm

Hi!

I've been on Diane for the past two years, which has improved my skin a lot (I'm so grateful!). But here i Sweden, you're not allowed to use Diane as a contraceptive pill because of the high risk of blood clots (your acne has to be pretty bad to get it precribed) and now, when my skin is clear, my gyn thinks that I don't need Diane anymore, so I've to go off ... I'm 20 years old, need a contraceptive pill and I still get some pimpels even if I'm on Diane ... So I really don't think this is a good idea ... Anyway, she gave me Yasminelle28 (I think it's the same as Yaz).

I've read here about Spironolactone, and I really want to try this to get rid of my acne. My skin is still pretty clear, but I'm sure the acne will return soon (my skin has already became more oily (went off Diane in the beginning of March). The problem is that I don't want to wait untill the acne return and then - MAYBE - get help. I know it's coming back and I hate it! Agh!

(I'm sorry for my english, english is not my mother tongue, but I hope you'll understand me.)

MemberMember
(@natalieellen)

Posted : 10/09/2012 1:29 pm

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts on this board. So glad Google led me to this place :-)

I have been on Spiro 200mg for almost 7 years. I also took Tri Sprintec up until a month ago when I stopped the Tri due to increasing migraines as I age (I am 44)

I had amazing results from the Spiro. My acne was cystic, in the jaw area & my skin/hair were an oily mess.

Spiro fixed all of it! However, I am one of the people the lower doses did not work on. I saw the best results between 175 & 200mg daily. I take the entire dose in the morning after breakfast. I had an initial breakout & did not see the amazing results I see now until I was at the higher doses.

I never had any side effects of Spiro until this month when I quit taking the bcp. I noticed the breast tenderness right way & the bloated feeling that wouldn't go away. I have lowered my dose to 175mg again (called Derm to verify this was OK) & the bloating/breast tenderness seem to have subsided.

I have also had mild numbness in my right foot. I am getting blood work done on Friday.

I find it interesting that my body was very accepting of the Spiro while on bcp & not so accepting after stopping.

I would encourage anyone ordering without a prescription to get some blood work done for sure. Spiro can mess with your potassium levels & cause serious issues. Making sure your labs are OK is very important, especially if you are needing a higher dose to see results :-)

My Derm said if I was to go back on birth control to avoid any progesterone bc, as they are acne unfriendly, but I don't have any further information that that statement from him.

Thank you all for your posts~it is so nice to see others who have the same issues & reading what does/doesn't work. I hope to be off Spiro someday but I don't think it will be in the near future unless my labs show an issue :-)

MemberMember
(@acnelove)

Posted : 10/09/2012 6:48 pm

Loved it, Spiro cleared me

only thing was

my blood pressure plummeted

I felt like I was going to black out all the time any time I moved

I had to stop a few weeks ago and I'm just recovering from my inital breakout

hope you have a better experience

I miss Spiro

MemberMember
(@samban67)

Posted : 11/26/2012 11:16 am

Brace yourself this is a little gross- has anyone had a major change in their periods since you started spiro? I cant be on the pill, so I had an ablation done about a year ago. I havent had my period in about 6 months and my period before that was light and nothing more than a tiny bit of brown blood. This month, Im bleeding more than I ever have and its red all of the sudden. My uterus is not supposed to regenerate with new blood so Im not happy about this!!! Has anyone had their periods become extremely heavy after starting spiro?

Im sorry for being so graphic. Im just so frustrated right now. I struggled for years b/c the birth control brought on seizures. So I had to stop that. That brought on the monster periods along with the hormonal acne. The ablation was a miracle cure for the periods and the seizures are 100x better but the acne is awful. Nothing is helping it and Im scared the medicine is bringing back the monster periods. This is a never ending cycle. Anti-biotics work but I cant be on them forever. Any suggestions that I can bring to my Dr?