Notifications
Clear all

ACNE after BCP? i weaned off bcp!

MemberMember
(@the-uphill-battle)

Posted : 12/06/2014 1:28 am

I really wish I had read your post before going off Desogen cold turkey! I'm 29 and was on it for 10 years. I thought I had lucked out by not getting the dreaded breakouts after quitting that I have heard so much about, but by month 2 my chin exploded with acne. You were smart to wean yourself off, wish I had thought of that :) I might looks into vitex since it seems you're getting positive results.

MemberMember
(@chideanna70)

Posted : 12/31/2014 12:50 pm

Hi. This may seem like a dumb question, but how exactly did you make sure you were cutting off a quarter of the birth control pill each time you cut it with the razor? I need to ween myself off the pill after being on it for over 20 years. Weening off makes so much sense. I'm just not sure I'll be able to cut off the same amount on each pill every day. How do I measure correctly?

Thanks so much!

MemberMember
(@callmestupidbut)

Posted : 01/30/2015 7:03 am

Hi lindsayb1 - I just wanted to thank you for posting this message 4 years ago!

I've been on the pill for 15 years - I had a short break after 10 years but my skin broke out terribly with cystic spots appearing each and everyday. It just made me so miserable and my face hurt so much, I went back on the pill after 9 months.

I've been reading about the health risks of being on the pill long term and have really focused more on my health the last few years so decided to come off the pill again. I was literally a day away from going cold turkey when it occurred to me that I could potentially ween myself off the hormones, so I googled it and came across your post.

I have reduced my dosage over 6 months, taking 3/4 of a pill for 2 months, 1/2 a pill for 2 months then 1/4 of a pill for 2 months. I've now been pill free for just 3 weeks, but so far I'm really positive. I had a break out on my chin on the day I took my last pill and I thought to myself 'how we go again!' But really it was 3 spots that have now healed really well and nothing has erupted since!

Just for info for people looking to do the same:

I eat a plat-based diet, so no meat, dairy or eggs, which I believe has helped too. I wasn't eating this way the first time I came off the pill.

I take macca powder in my morning smoothie and a multivitamin each day.

I drink Aloe Vera gel (forever living) each morning and use aloe vera on my skin morning and night before I moisturize. This really helps to heal blemishes, reduce redness and reduce scarring (and no nasty chemicals).

I have just ordered some agnus castus tablets which I'm hoping will get my cycles back to normal and keep the acne and other PMS symptoms at bay.

Thanks again for posting this thread - you have literally changed my life!

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 03/23/2018 8:21 am

Just read this post - i wish I couldve read this before i decided to go cold turkey on my bcps several months ago. Grrrrr

I have PCOS, and the acne that comes with it is just the worst! - The 3rd month my period was just late for a week and BLAM ACNE BREAKOUT!!! - unfortunately Im back on the pill since Im at wits end and just couldnt deal. I start with my new work on March 26 - and ugghh....

So the next time I decide to go off birth control Imma try this and see if it helps... Also will ask my Dr about taking vitex, evening primrose and inositol as these are the top supplements that help with balancing ot hormones for PCOS....

Right now as im back on the pill I am using the acne.org regimen, cut out dairy, sugar, coffee, doing a low GI diet, trying to avoid gluten - drowning myself by drinking tons of water, exercise.... the list goes on.

Im also taking multivitamins, zinc picolinate, probiotics. ACNE- Be gone already!!!

MemberMember
(@ayannag)

Posted : 09/08/2021 1:11 pm

On 1/13/2011 at 1:32 PM, lindsayb1 said:

hey guys.. this is DAY 42 that i am off the pill and my update is so far so good so i hope this provides hope!!!

i am taking dong quai + vitex and i really believe weaning off the pill worked WONDERS!

i still do the yogurt mask DAILY and try to eat healthier. WHAT a difference than the first time i got off the pill cold turkey a few years back (when i immediately started to break out)

just wanted to show my progress!

On 1/13/2011 at 1:32 PM, lindsayb1 said:

hey guys.. this is DAY 42 that i am off the pill and my update is so far so good so i hope this provides hope!!!

i am taking dong quai + vitex and i really believe weaning off the pill worked WONDERS!

i still do the yogurt mask DAILY and try to eat healthier. WHAT a difference than the first time i got off the pill cold turkey a few years back (when i immediately started to break out)

just wanted to show my progress!

Hey! I am wanting to wean off my bc but I had a few questions. Did you take the placeabo pink pills at all during the weaning process and if you did how did you do it? Also when did you get your first period after you completely weaned off the bc? Thank you!