Notifications
Clear all

IMPLANON REMOVAL

MemberMember
(@bender5000)

Posted : 01/25/2011 8:51 pm

I've recently been seeing a Naturopath to get my hormones tested and balanced (my hormone ratio is worse than a post-menopausal woman apparently!! I'm only 26!) and one of the big things I've done recently is get my implanon implant removed. I've been on it since just before I turned 18 and my acne has not quit.

I've always suspected that the implanon was a big factor in my skin condition but when I saw a Dr to have it removed about 2 years ago she refused and prescribed me antibiotics and 2 different topicals - which stopped working recently and drove me to visit the naturopath.

Has anyone here had the contraceptive implant removed?

What impact did that have on your acne?? How long until you saw results?

I'm giving artificial hormones the flick from now on - now to find a non-hormonal type of birth control - any ideas??

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@hello_kitty_89)

Posted : 01/25/2011 8:56 pm

I've recently been seeing a Naturopath to get my hormones tested and balanced (my hormone ratio is worse than a post-menopausal woman apparently!! I'm only 26!) and one of the big things I've done recently is get my implanon implant removed. I've been on it since just before I turned 18 and my acne has not quit.

I've always suspected that the implanon was a big factor in my skin condition but when I saw a Dr to have it removed about 2 years ago she refused and prescribed me antibiotics and 2 different topicals - which stopped working recently and drove me to visit the naturopath.

I'm giving artificial hormones the flick from now on - now to find a non-hormonal type of birth control - any ideas??

Thanks.

I haven't had mine removed...yet, but now i'm terrified!

From the age of 16 I've gone from pill to injection to implant.

I can't even take Dianette (Diane) because it causes migraines and as a migraine sufferer I really could do without that side effect, I was given the birth control that would least affect my migraines, apparently.

I think i'll just keep one in forever now...lol.

MemberMember
(@bender5000)

Posted : 01/25/2011 9:03 pm

Thanks.

MemberMember
(@hello_kitty_89)

Posted : 01/25/2011 10:14 pm

I've looked into some non-hormonal such as the IUD, but I saw reviews that said periods can become heavier. Not to make you feel ill but my cycle was 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off before any hormonal intervention. My body was not happy ha ha!

I think after every change of hormonal contraception there will be a change to your acne as to some extent, it is hormonal. Fingers crossed it will only be temporary and settle down for you soon! If not have you considered accutane? it works wonders! :)

x

MemberMember
(@rubz123)

Posted : 03/09/2011 12:38 pm

I'm planning on getting my removed as i think my back acne has got worse since having it :(

MemberMember
(@inp)

Posted : 03/15/2011 12:53 am

I had Implanon for a whole year with perfect skin - although thinking about it now it might have been caused by my hormones behaving after I had my daughter - or the fact that I didn't have periods for a whole year. I must say that my skin cleared up both times when I had my babies (ie. no period).

A year later I got my period - an extremely long 5 whole months non-stop of period. This is when I started to breakout again and was extremely upset about it. I had it removed after that and although my face is not acne free (a year later now), the breakouts now only come in between my cycles. I'm pretty sure my acne is hormonal as it happens around the same time on each cycle.

I went on the pill for a little while, but then decided to quit all together after reading about the effects.

I'm having hormonal testing when its time at the end of next month.

MemberMember
(@janebejane)

Posted : 05/28/2011 11:48 am

Thanks.

It's funny that you mention your hormones because I just my my implanon removed. I was having hotflashes, acne, etc. Complete hell. I hope you're doing well now.

MemberMember
(@maythe09)

Posted : 02/16/2016 2:21 am

Before I never had acne in my face. Even when I was a teenager no acne at all. I had the nexplanon put in on January 6, 2016. The first week I had it I didn't have any acne. The second week I started noticing I was getting pimples on my chest, neck, face, around my hairline. I read on the internet that women that have no acne and get the nexplanon start getting a lot of acne. I now removed my nexplanon on February 10, 2016. My concern is that I still have acne in the same areas. It is now February 16, 2015. I just want to know if the acne will go away soon. I want to have my clear skin again. Please someone respond.

MemberMember
(@ellej90)

Posted : 06/02/2016 8:16 am

Hi Maythe09,
I had a nexplanon in for 2.5 years and had it removed in January 2015 as it was causing me to bleed constantly, put on 20kgs in a very short amount of time and my acne started to come back. Following the removal, my acne worsened and after seeing an endocrinologist and having hormone tests done, I found out that my progesterone levels were so low that I was effectively in perimenopause. My doctor told me that it was most likely a direct result of the nexplanon and I have been taking bioidentical progesterone ever since finding out. I would not recommend anyone having a nexplanon as it causes a lot of problems during and after having it in. I would recommend you going to see an endocrinologist as this is the best way to treat the root of the issue.