Notifications
Clear all

Questions About The Oil Cleansing Method

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/24/2014 10:27 am

Some people swear the Oil Cleansing Method (OCM) heals nudulocystic acne; others say no oil--no matter how non-comedogenic--should touch skin prone to cysts/nodules. I don't know what to believe and, so, have some questions.

1) Can the OCM work for some/most people with nudulocystic acne, as long as they use oils that are unlikely to clog pores (e.g., Castor and Hemp Seed)?

2) Is Castor oil absolutely necessary to help clean the pores?

3) Can other acne treatments be used along with the OCM? That is, can an acne medication be applied to the skin as long as the oil (or oil mixture) has been thoroughly rinsed off and the skin has been dried?

If there's anything else anyone would like to share about his/her OCM experiences, please share it.

Thank you

JD

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/24/2014 10:41 am

1. I don't believe oil cleansing will help with cysts.

2. No, castor oil is actually clogging for many people. I'd pick another oil like meadowfoam, safflower, or hemp.

3. Yes.

MemberMember
(@5beauty)

Posted : 03/24/2014 2:02 pm

I used castor oil a month ago and i still try to get rid of the nasty breakout it caused me. Big NO to OCM

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/24/2014 4:08 pm

2. No, castor oil is actually clogging for many people. I'd pick another oil like meadowfoam, safflower, or hemp.

It's interesting that castor oil seems to cause bad breakouts for some acne-prone people, as it's rated as nearly entirely non-comedogenic ( https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html ).

MemberMember
(@ellamaria)

Posted : 03/24/2014 5:23 pm

I used coconut oil and it was really amazing on my skin. Idk what type of fat castor oil is or if i would eat it so i won't put it on my skin. i eat coconut oil too and it helps my skin that way too.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/24/2014 5:41 pm

It's interesting that castor oil seems to cause bad breakouts for some acne-prone people, as it's rated as nearly entirely non-comedogenic ( https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html ).

I think it might have something to do with the fact that it's low in linoleic acid which is usually good for us acne prones. Everyone's skin is different too. For example, the polysorbates on that list are considered noncomedogenic, but they clog me badly. Also, Ellamaria says her skin does well with coconut oil, but for many it causes acne.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/24/2014 8:18 pm

t's interesting that castor oil seems to cause bad breakouts for some acne-prone people, as it's rated as nearly entirely non-comedogenic ( https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html ).

I think it might have something to do with the fact that it's low in linoleic acid which is usually good for us acne prones. Everyone's skin is different too. For example, the polysorbates on that list are considered noncomedogenic, but they clog me badly. Also, Ellamaria says her skin does well with coconut oil, but for many it causes acne.

It's scary to think that it comes down to trial and error--when the error aspect could wind up being terrible in terms of a cystic breakout. It seems that one must cross his/her fingers and do a little before trying the OCM.

Since several people have had bad reactions to Castor oil, maybe I'll try just Hemp Seed oil. Again, I'd only put it on a small area of my forehead--the side that's hidden underneath my bangs.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/24/2014 10:34 pm

t's interesting that castor oil seems to cause bad breakouts for some acne-prone people, as it's rated as nearly entirely non-comedogenic ( https://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html ).

It's scary to think that it comes down to trial and error--when the error aspect could wind up being terrible in terms of a cystic breakout. It seems that one must cross his/her fingers and do a little before trying the OCM.

Since several people have had bad reactions to Castor oil, maybe I'll try just Hemp Seed oil. Again, I'd only put it on a small area of my forehead--the side that's hidden underneath my bangs.

Yes, you should definitely patch test first! I have only tried two oils so far: mineral oil and meadowfoam seed oil. Mineral oil broke me out horribly even though it is supposedly non comedogenic. Meadowfoam seed oil has been great for me. I like mixing it with cromollient so it rinses away cleanly.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 03/26/2014 9:45 am

Yes, you should definitely patch test first! I have only tried two oils so far: mineral oil and meadowfoam seed oil. Mineral oil broke me out horribly even though it is supposedly non comedogenic. Meadowfoam seed oil has been great for me. I like mixing it with cromollient so it rinses away cleanly.

I'd never before heard of cromollient until your post. If you don't mind me asking, what specific type/brand of cromollient brand do you use and from where do you buy it?

Thanks,

PI

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 03/26/2014 11:05 am

I'd never before heard of cromollient until your post. If you don't mind me asking, what specific type/brand of cromollient brand do you use and from where do you buy it?

Thanks,

PI

I get it from garden of wisdom. It's for sale under their raw ingredients section under emulsifiers.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 04/21/2014 10:28 am

I get it from garden of wisdom. It's for sale under their raw ingredients section under emulsifiers.

Thank you.