Notifications
Clear all

Skin improving ahead of derm appointment.. do I cancel?

MemberMember
(@lje1995)

Posted : 04/25/2018 6:18 pm

So a bit of backstory, I developed severe hormonal acne at the age of 18 and was placed on birth control (Diane-35). I'd been on it for 4-5 years, but came off in December because I couldn't deal with the side effects any more and wanted to let my body do its thing naturally. I thought that by the age of 23 I'd have outgrown it.. how wrong I was! Slowly but surely hell started breaking loose on my face, and month by month its gotten progressively worse, even worse than it ever was.

A few weeks ago I visited my gp and he took one look at my skin and suggested either spironolactone or roaccutane would probably be the best course of action given the cystic and scarring nature of my acne so referred me to a dermatologist. My appointment is next week, however over the past few days I've noticed my skin has calmed down quite a lot - I haven't had as many breakouts and inflammation seems to have subsided. So I now have a bit of a dilemma, do I cancel the dermatologist appointment and save my money ($200), or keep the appointment and have the derm look at me and not think my acne is severe enough to warrant treatment. 

I don't want to jinx myself and cancel only to have it return with a vengeance and then have to wait another month to see the dermatologist. I'm thinking maybe since my period has just finished that's why my skin has cleared up?? Or is it clearing up for good? If anyone has been in this position and has some wisdom to share it would be greatly appreciated :) 

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 04/26/2018 5:18 am

as you probably know, sometimes we get periods of good, calm skin, only for it to revert back to a mess.

not telling you what to do but would it not be nice to see professional opinion on your skin? they might be able to identify and underlining issue and help you cure it.

if you go, take some recent photos from when your skin was bad, it might help(?)

MemberMember
(@mountainsbaby13)

Posted : 04/27/2018 8:54 am

That happened to me but why not still go... if you have any scarring Maybe they can address that or if you tell them what your acne was like maybe they can write you a prescription and then you can pick it up only if you need it if you break out again. I did that and I started getting a few more pimple so I just went and got the prescription because I don't want any more scarring

MemberMember
(@acnevm)

Posted : 04/27/2018 11:22 am

If your skin is improving then I would personally recommend not to take the roaccutane. This drug has so many side effects that it is not worth the risk.
The best choice is to have a naturally healthy diet, a proper skincare routine and proper methods to remain the skins health. This is both the most safe and the most valuable way of curing the problem for having a good life.