Notifications
Clear all

Seeking advice for next step...

MemberMember
(@qast81)

Posted : 07/13/2017 12:14 am

Hey everyone,

I am a 22 yr old female who has been living with mild/moderate, but persistent, acne for about 10 years. It's on my face, chest, back, and shoulders. I have tried several over-the-counter products and nothing has worked. I currently use SheaMoisture African Black Soap as a cleanser and Walgreens Aloe Vera body gel as a moisturizer as well as for sun protection. Whenever I feel dead skin build up, I use Equate Apricot Scrub. I don't even know if these help at all but it is what I have for now.

July 7, I went to a dermatologist for the first time. After talking a while, she suspected PCOS, drew a blood sample, and referred me to an OBGYN. I asked about Accutane and she said that she has used that medication on patients with PCOS before and the acne always came back; so, that is why she wouldn't prescribe it to me right away. She told me that after confirmation, they would prescribe me Spironolactone, Metformin, and birth control.

July 11, I went to a gynaecologist. Again after talking a while, he said my blood work came back all normal and that I most likely don't have PCOS. He lectured me on eating right and exercising more (which I have been doing for the past week). In the end, I didn't get prescribed anything, besides adding Differin to my regimen as my derm recommended.

My question is: what should I do now? I want Accutane and since I don't have PCOS, I feel that it might actually work. I will be going back to school in the fall and want to learn to adjust to the symptoms by then. Should I wait another week or two and see if the Differin... well makes a difference? Or should I schedule an appointment with my derm or maybe another derm ASAP? Please, any advice would be helpful.

Thank you to anyone who has read this far!

MemberMember
(@helloitsme2)

Posted : 07/13/2017 10:57 am

Hi,

Have you considered curology? That helped me with acne that I still had in my 20s. And it's not as intense of a prescription as Accutane. I would recommend trying something like tretinoin before Accutane because of the intense side effects it has. 

Btw when I went to the doctor she also suspected PCOS ” never followed up on it though. I think it's over diagnosed. I just don't have regular periods and am a bit hairy, but the rest of the symptoms don't apply!  :/