Notifications
Clear all

How I Got Rid of My Acne

MemberMember
(@juliaooo)

Posted : 03/09/2017 8:14 pm

Hi guys,

I'm 16 and just this summer had started getting acne on my forehead, right cheek, and chin. My skin is constantly changing, from dry to oily to combination, but right now my skin is pretty balanced (but tends to lean on the dry side). My acne was getting so bad where my family would point it out (I was so embarrassed and depressed about it). I mostly had irritation, small clogged pores, and red pimples. Here are the products that I use on a daily basis that has been working very well (at night only, because I don't see a point in the morning):

• First, I start off with a mild cleanser: Korean brand Mizon Snail Foaming Cleanser, about $8 on Amazon
  • After, I exfoliate. On breakout days, I use St Ives Apricot Scrub ($3). On a normal day, I use a coffee sugar scrub from etsy ($9). I only exfoliate every few days, since my skin is sensitive and if I exfoliate two days in a row my face gets irritated.
  • Then, I "tone". Really, I just use the Mario Badescu Rose water mist ($7). I bought this product because of all the hype, but didn't see it really do anything for my skin. I'm only using this because I can't return it. I will switch to another toner once I run out and update.
  • Lastly, I moisturize. I use two moisturizers, and both I highly recommend: Aveeno Skin Relief Overnight Cream ($7) andArgan Oil ($12). The skin relief overnight cream is really for my dry skin, so if you don't have dry skin, you don't really need it. However, dry or oily, you NEED argan oil -- it greatly helped with my oily skin and got rid of those tiny pimples. I apply the relief cream to my dry spots and argan oil everywhere else, and it has a 0 pore clogging rating also!

That's basically it. I like to keep it gentle and as natural as possible.

The most effective thing I used for my pimples was Desistin rapid relief diaper cream (I know, weird) but I would put it on overnight, and the next day, the pimple would greatly shrink or reduce in redness! Any other desisitin type of cream didnt work for me, ONLY that one, in that little tube.

Also, when my face is getting red or irritated or I see a pimple, I pair Desisitin with a few slices of cucumbers. I leave it on for about 15 mins and then take it off. Make sure the cucumber is not old or moldy, and organic. If you are desperate and ignore this step, this could lead to making your acne even worse (talking from experience). When I wake up the next day, the pimple is incredibly less noticeable.

In the morning, I dont wash my face, as I think it is still clean from the night before, so no need to clean. I just re-moisturize with, again, the Aveeno cream on my dry areas and a regular Clinique moisturizer on other areas (sometimes when Im lazy I just use the cream on my whole face). I find the argan oil takes too long to settle in, and I have school in like 30 mins after.

I do wear makeup, but only eyeliner and mascara, and concealer and primer on problem days. I remove my eye makeup daily with Neutrogena eye remover, which Ive been using for years!

Overall, though nobody asked, this is my skincare routine! Im just glad I found this, because I had to experiment and waste so much money on so-called miracle products. This routine is really working for my skin, but Im still getting some clogged pores here and there. Ive recently purchased a Secret Aztec clay mask to top it all off.

One last thing: do not obsess over your acne. I used to, and it ruined my day everydday because I would go super close up in the mirror and stare at myself. DON'T DO THAT. Stick to your routine (unless your skin is having a bad reaction) and don't pay attention too much. When I started ignoring my acne, it got better because I was less stressed and more happy.

Thanks if you made it this far! (BTW, this routine works for me specifically. It might not work for others, but its awesome for me!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 03/09/2017 8:22 pm

Thanks for sharing your clear-skin solution with our community!

Best wishes for continued success!! :)