Notifications
Clear all

ORANGE PEEL SKIN DISASTER W/ PICTURES

MemberMember
(@ollyinparis)

Posted : 09/05/2017 7:08 am

Hi,

I've just read you post, and first of all let me tell you I do understand 100% what is like. Had severe acne when I was young all the way to my adulthood so I'm left with several scars.
Went to doctors, antibiotics, creams, peelings, lasers, actually many several laser. The situation is much better now but I'm left with a weird orange skin like texture and pores problems.
Eventually I found something that works well for me and if I follow the regime well it makes a big difference.

two main products I use are :

REN detox Pores mask , but similar will work well. no more than once a week, most time I do it twice a months.

the second one, the most important, stop using soaps or specific soaps to wash your face. I have oily skin so I need to wash it to avoid the grease/shiny look.

Try Mac Cleanse Off Oil Make-up Remover, it's an oil to remove make up but you can use it as a cleanser and it's fantastic!. Just use a little cotton pad or two on your face, and then it simply washes away with water. it leave your skin clean but with just enough oil to feel soft. I started using it an dafter 2/3 days my skin changed so much. it really helps with the texture. if I sometime stop the routine (at the gym or other and use other soaps it starts again.

Give it a try and keep up! :)

MemberMember
(@blobborg)

Posted : 09/17/2017 2:20 am

GUYS GUYS GUYS NIACINAMIDE WORKS! Yes my pores and bad texture arent totally gone but it has improved quite a bit! And im really grateful for any form of improvement.
My routine:
Wash my face daily with silver ion cleanser twice a day followed by emu oil in the morning and cerave pm at night.
I massage the cerave pm well into the areas and let it soak in and dry.
It really seems to be working but of course it doesnt change the acne scars, helps the pores though!

MemberMember
(@honeyginseng)

Posted : 09/18/2017 11:46 pm

On 9/17/2017 at 0:20 AM, BlobbOrg said:

GUYS GUYS GUYS NIACINAMIDE WORKS! Yes my pores and bad texture arent totally gone but it has improved quite a bit! And im really grateful for any form of improvement.
My routine:
Wash my face daily with silver ion cleanser twice a day followed by emu oil in the morning and cerave pm at night.
I massage the cerave pm well into the areas and let it soak in and dry. 
It really seems to be working but of course it doesnt change the acne scars, helps the pores though!

Wow so glad it works for you!!
I'm actually using Niacinamide from the Ordinary and have seen improvements so far so I'm excited! I've heard good things about the Paula's Choice niacinamide too,  so I'd love to hear people's thoughts on that!

for me, I've been using it nightly every other day to kind of get my skin acclimated to it. I use it after oil cleansing , water cleansing, and an essence. Then i use the serum and a good moisturizer that helps keep my oil production at bay. 

In the mornings, I just wash my face with water, follow up with essence that really adds moisture to my skin, and then moisturizer and SPF. I'll be adding a vitamin C (in the  of Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate) soon after the Niacinamide. 

Remember to to be consistent with your skincare routines, guys! And have patience :) and your skin will improve over time!

BlobbOrg liked
MemberMember
(@blobborg)

Posted : 09/19/2017 11:36 am

Precisely what honey&ginseng said, stay consistent. Also another thing try not to exfoliate. Our skin barrier has already been damaged, stay away from retinoids acid peel laser etc.

I've just started using PC niacinamide on one portion to see if my skin reacts better as compare to with cerave pm. Yes the improvements may be ever so slight but it's an improvement nonetheless so I'm sticking with it for sure.

And yes pls make sure to get your skin acclimated first.

After 5 years I can't believe i found something that actually has the potential to work. If improvement continues further i'd be truly grateful.

Yola4 and H4nnz liked
MemberMember
(@27ina)

Posted : 10/05/2017 2:59 pm

I have a problem like that on the same areas. I recently started using topical magnesium oil and alpha lipoic acid and they're shrinking pretty fast; I noticed healing in about a week of starting.

MemberMember
(@nyc7)

Posted : 02/04/2018 3:00 am

On 8/26/2017 at 8:07 AM, Yola4 said:
Yes that was one of the first posts I found when researching this. Idk about you guys but I don't have to pinch my skin for it to look orange peel...it looks awful without any manipulation at all. I have so many products it's unbelievable (I have at least 4-5 of the products comfy cozy mentions in her above post).
After reading that post, a couple months ago, I went to my local health food store and bought whatever I could find that was similar to what she was taking. I bought Nutiva Hemp seed oil, Youtheory Advanced Collagen type 1,2 and 3, Solgar Hyaluronic acid capsules, Royal Brittany Evening primrose oil, and added in source naturals dmae. So far nothing has improved. But like I've mentioned my damage is more than just large pores/orange peel texture.
Before and After IMG_2028.JPGIMG_3109.JPG

Yes, H4nzz, that was why I included the Dmae into it specifically because of that post. And that's the exact routine I started with, and it broke me out in such horrific acne. 

Thanks for all the good info . Your before photo is beautiful but I can see you were about to tip over , what I mean is you may have been exfoiliating and using numerous products and thinned your skin, it's hard to tell bevaude it still looks good and behaves fine , but thrn it goes into disaster orange peel and waxy , looks and feels burned . Happens from over exfoiliating , retin a , laser , ipl , aggressive peels etc. I think we all have identified we killed our barrier and epidermis and sometimes I think damage buried in the dermis is showing as well, one lady could see the scar she had when she was 8 on her chin after hidden for 20 years! I see a few marks that look familar but it was 15 years ago . 
I think any more use of products on the face won't help.

The internal route may be it . I looked up that HA supplement and fakes on amazon , what's new, and they have it ok iherb. I hope it's not someone from the company promoting the product ? It seems difficult to find and is $65 a bottle . I would pay 10 times that to get out of this misery and hell that is ipl damage .

i  am already using neocell collagen , no clue if it does anything , I guess I'll add the HA. The lady seemed to be contending with dry skin that gave her wrinkles , you don't need to pinch to hsve orange peel , it's a texture change thsts burned into your face it seems . 

We have to figure this out . What I do know is any exfoliating or retinols or acids will make you worse . I'm putting nothing on my face , nkt even cleanser . 12 days without a wash and don't care , I'll go another 12. The skin is thinned out , the top is blown off , you hsve to let it rebuild and it's very very difficult , dr's seem very negative about it , like we went too far and can't come back but I think it's more that there is no money in telling us to leave it alone and they push more treatments . Treatments are 100% the enemy of this condition , that is sure of. We have to figure out how to heal it and maybe it's doing notjinb and supplementing internally or maybe it permanent , I don't know , I change my mind every 5 minutes . Cry then have hope and repeat 

MemberMember
(@noseriki)

Posted : 05/21/2018 10:00 pm

Hi,

I have been struggling with this condition for several years now and I think I just cured it. Stop doing anything to your face for a period of time. I went about 1 1/2 years. Occasionally I used a bit of moisturizer but that was it. And no exfoliating. You should just let your skin alone and let it do what it will. Then begin applying EMU OIL or CASTOR OIL to the affected areas every night and sleeping with it on your face. Ive been applying the oil for 1 week now, and I can see that Ive solved the problem. It will take a long time to fully heal, but Im positive, at least for me, this is the answer. EMU OIL.

MemberMember
(@n93)

Posted : 08/20/2018 11:04 am

Hi,

So I have read this thread multiple times to remind myself I am not the only one struggling with this issue. I was severely sunburned while also quitting the Diane pil at the same time and somehow got the same reaction to my skin as described by some people here. Sensitive, oily and large pores. Basically the result of overexfoliating and comprised skin barrier (and for me also increased seborrhoic eczema). It's been 1.5 years since this has happened and my skin is better now, however still not completely as it was before. I don't really believe much in topical products so for me the 'less is more' approach worked. Not using soap to wash (only dries the skin out), not exfoliating and just using cerave moisturizer and suncreen. But what I believe worked best were time and diminishing the oil production of the skin from inside out by taking the Diane pil again. My skin barrier got better because time passed, i did nothing to irritate my skin from the outside and used cerave. I protected my skin with sunscreen and the pores got smaller and my skin more balanced because of the anti androgens in the Diane pil. Also because of the anti androgens my seborrhoic eczema also went away for now. I hope this might help some of you guys!

MemberMember
(@texturehelp)

Posted : 09/26/2018 1:58 am

Please can someone come back and tell if they were able to recover? I am going through this from retin a use and losing my mind.

MemberMember
(@fasthealing)

Posted : 09/30/2018 6:57 pm

On 26/9/2018 at 9:58 AM, Texturehelp said:

Please can someone come back and tell if they were able to recover? I am going through this from retin a use and losing my mind.

Me too!

MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 10/05/2018 9:08 am

On 2/4/2018 at 3:00 AM, Nyc7 said:
Thanks for all the good info . Your before photo is beautiful but I can see you were about to tip over , what I mean is you may have been exfoiliating and using numerous products and thinned your skin, it's hard to tell bevaude it still looks good and behaves fine , but thrn it goes into disaster orange peel and waxy , looks and feels burned . Happens from over exfoiliating , retin a , laser , ipl , aggressive peels etc. I think we all have identified we killed our barrier and epidermis and sometimes I think damage buried in the dermis is showing as well, one lady could see the scar she had when she was 8 on her chin after hidden for 20 years! I see a few marks that look familar but it was 15 years ago .
I think any more use of products on the face won't help.

The internal route may be it . I looked up that HA supplement and fakes on amazon , what's new, and they have it ok iherb. I hope it's not someone from the company promoting the product ? It seems difficult to find and is $65 a bottle . I would pay 10 times that to get out of this misery and hell that is ipl damage .

i am already using neocell collagen , no clue if it does anything , I guess I'll add the HA. The lady seemed to be contending with dry skin that gave her wrinkles , you don't need to pinch to hsve orange peel , it's a texture change thsts burned into your face it seems .

We have to figure this out . What I do know is any exfoliating or retinols or acids will make you worse . I'm putting nothing on my face , nkt even cleanser . 12 days without a wash and don't care , I'll go another 12. The skin is thinned out , the top is blown off , you hsve to let it rebuild and it's very very difficult , dr's seem very negative about it , like we went too far and can't come back but I think it's more that there is no money in telling us to leave it alone and they push more treatments . Treatments are 100% the enemy of this condition , that is sure of. We have to figure out how to heal it and maybe it's doing notjinb and supplementing internally or maybe it permanent , I don't know , I change my mind every 5 minutes . Cry then have hope and repeat

We can heal from over exfoliation many have but as you mentioned it's mainly internal and being gentle. Now with what you said in regards to my before photo that's simply impossible because I was not doing anything to my skin at that time...no exfoliation or products just a gentle cleanser and moisturizer. So I was definitely not about to "tip over." What happened to me was not laser damage but was almost overnight. A horrible reaction to a retinoid. I speak to several people on this board and unfortunately of those I talk to no one has healed yet. We will though it's usually just a matter of time like 2-3 + years and being gentle.

MemberMember
(@fasthealing)

Posted : 12/16/2018 7:52 pm

went to a dermatogist for another reason and she told me that if a problem becomes a years problem it is likely to never be solved. I feel so awful. So my skin is gonna be RED for ever?

If someone has been healed please send me!

MemberMember
(@noseriki)

Posted : 12/21/2018 1:58 pm

On 12/16/2018 at 7:52 PM, fasthealing said:

went to a dermatogist for another reason and she told me that if a problem becomes a years problem it is likely to never be solved. I feel so awful. So my skin is gonna be RED for ever?

If someone has been healed please send me!

I healed.

The answer is stop using all cleansers and moisturizers and topicals,all of it. Let your skin alone. For a while. You will likely develop whats called a dead skin mask which is uncomfortable and not very fun. Let it be. Do not wash it off. Do not even put water on your face during this period. Again, its uncomfortable and you will likely be embarrassed to show your face to others, depending on how bad of a state your skin is in. But you must push through.

After this period of doing nothing (this phase will need to last longer for some than others), you will start putting EMU OIL on your face nightly. More often if possible. Some people may be able to skip the do nothing phase and go right to the emu oil phase. But again, nothing else should be used. No cleansers, no topicals, not even water. You can use moisturizer though. But thats it. Also, to expedite healing, I highly recommend using a dermaroller before applying the emu oil. Probably either a .25 mm, .5 mm, or a .75 mm, depending on how severethe damage is. You can dermarollmaybe 3 times a week depending on mm size, but you should be using the Emu Oil every day. And no water. Just emu oil and moisturizer. Just let the emu oil dissolve into your skin overnight.

I have been applying emu oil for 8 months now, and it is Unbelievable. My skin is still healing because one day I can tell it will be flawless and a lot of damage was done. But its already 90% better. It truly is incredible. I will say that I went through a year and a half do nothing phase. It was miserable, but for the amount of damage that was done, my face needed that long to recover. My theory is that all the topicals and cleansing chronically dehydrated the skin and wore down that moisture barrier top level. I was using shit and obsessively washing for like 7 years, so it makes sense it took this long to heal. I believe the orange peel is a symptom of dehydrated skin. And Emu Oil will fix it. And Derma rolling prior to applying the oil will help its absorption into the skin.

Shame on that dermatologist for telling you the problem would never resolve. I have so many horror stories about dermatologists who had no idea what was going on with my skin. Fuck them. Dont listen to them. You will heal. There is a solution. It will be hard but please take comfort in knowing that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Please message me with any furtherquestions. Stay strong!

-Zach

MemberMember
(@moonmoon)

Posted : 12/25/2018 9:02 pm

On 9/2/2017 at 11:36 PM, Yola4 said:

I have to warn you guys. Even though hardly anyone on this site has shown me support (except of course for my good friend broken porecelain <3 and comfy in her message and brittaback in my thread) I still can't keep quiet about this. Especially after talking to many skincare professionals including an educated, dermal repair expert. And after reading all of this confusing advice given by everyone...things have become overwhelming. I know the advice was given in a sincere manner and as a means to help, yet we are not understanding the consequences of it...so I have to speak up. This is not directed towards anyone in particular in a demeaning manner so don't take it that way. In fact, I'm even referring to advice I, myself have given in previous posts which I will edit out later.

Going through this will make you desperate and desperate people take any advice they can get and run with it. And I'm sorry, H4nzz, if giving my input has left you feeling defeated and/or hopeless, but it's my experience and I'm entitled to share it...besides that was not my intention. I was justtrying to help. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that we are each contributingour stories and are talking about what has helped us and what has in turn hindered us. But take ALL advice even mine with a grain of salt. And yes, my damage is obviously more than just large, open pores but my cheeks started out EXACTLY like H4nzz's. I took the wrong advice and in just 6 weeks my skin went from manageable to unrecognizable.

After talking to the dermal expert for 2 hours, I learned thatCopper peptides also damage collagen in some people especially when used after derma needling. Look it up....its true. So if you had a negative experience with Retin A or Duac or any other topical, and your barrier is damaged...than rebuilding it is your first line of defense. The acid mantle comes first and foremost then enzyme function comes second. And refraining from any type of exfoliation such as needling is important. I got a couple emails from people who needled their damaged skin (after reading people's recommendations online) and are now panicking thinking that they made things worse. I found out that my one post regarding exfoliation (in order to get rid of the orange peel texture) is only recommended for those with INTACT barriers. Also, using peptides (not CP's) like I was previously doing is excellent for barrier repair in those of us with minimal barrier damage.

Now judging from pictures, some of you look like you HAVE intact acid mantles and stratum corneums so that's why talking to an expert is so important. Ask yourself...Is your skin rough and dry from inflammation? Is it producing oils and sweating and functioning properly? Is it overly oily and smooth, yet porous? Is it flaking? My new routine was created specifically for me and my skin & health history. I just started it yesterday and will probably update my progress monthly. Getting a regimen that is in accordance to your specific skincare history and health history is crucial to healing.

There's so much more I found out in the past week I could keep writing for hours, but I don't have the time at the moment. One more thing I will say is keeping your routine VERY simple is pertinent! Adding in a bunch of topicals will further damage your skin. So if this really bothers you seek out an educated expert, do not waste time and money jumping from one routine to the next. Rinseyour face with cool water. If you have squalane products use them. Remember as long as your barrier is compromised any irrantants and/or pollutants/chemicals are able to penetrate it and wreak havoc. No two skins are the same as we all know so do your research. I hope a year from now this is a distant memory for all of us

How is your skin now, yola??

MemberMember
(@fasthealing)

Posted : 01/02/2019 9:48 pm

Hello again and happy new year! i wish to everyone to overcome any health issue!

I want to ask how can i understand if i have an orange peel skin? I am 99% sure in my case it is a really serious sunburn that is not healing. And not an orange peel skin.

My skin hassebum and oils normal if that helps. And it really looks like a sunburn it was also feeling uncomfortable and hurting when i was burned! I have it 2,5 years now. It is healing but extremely slow. It hasdestroyed and the quality of my skin of course and made and my pores huge left me scars i never had (cause when i was using retinol i hadacne and at the same time i was burned bad so my skin could not be healed). But i think it is causesunburn destroys collage so the pores are becoming bigger. Also one time some months after this disaster (2 years before) i did not knew that i still had photosensitivity cause i was not going for some months to the sun. And my skin was much better i also saw that the poreshave become enough smaller finallyand i went for a walk i used sunscreen 50 SPF which did not helped at all. And i was BURNED again so bad.Next morning my poreswere huge again and it was like i lost all the improvement that i had seen. So i am 99 % sure its sunburn and not orange peel skin.

But if you can also help me to understand the difference. Cause in some phases my skin lookedorange too! Maybe both? I think also sunburns destroy the skin barrier etc! And i still have photosensitivity that no sunscreen can help me. I just dont go anywhere when its day! I live an nightmare.

MemberMember
(@superbobbay)

Posted : 01/19/2019 9:59 pm

On 12/21/2018 at 10:58 AM, NoSeRiki said:

I healed.

The answer is stop using all cleansers and moisturizers and topicals,all of it. Let your skin alone. For a while. You will likely develop whats called a dead skin mask which is uncomfortable and not very fun. Let it be. Do not wash it off. Do not even put water on your face during this period. Again, its uncomfortable and you will likely be embarrassed to show your face to others, depending on how bad of a state your skin is in. But you must push through.

After this period of doing nothing (this phase will need to last longer for some than others), you will start putting EMU OIL on your face nightly. More often if possible. Some people may be able to skip the do nothing phase and go right to the emu oil phase. But again, nothing else should be used. No cleansers, no topicals, not even water. You can use moisturizer though. But thats it. Also, to expedite healing, I highly recommend using a dermaroller before applying the emu oil. Probably either a .25 mm, .5 mm, or a .75 mm, depending on how severethe damage is. You can dermarollmaybe 3 times a week depending on mm size, but you should be using the Emu Oil every day. And no water. Just emu oil and moisturizer. Just let the emu oil dissolve into your skin overnight.

I have been applying emu oil for 8 months now, and it is Unbelievable. My skin is still healing because one day I can tell it will be flawless and a lot of damage was done. But its already 90% better. It truly is incredible. I will say that I went through a year and a half do nothing phase. It was miserable, but for the amount of damage that was done, my face needed that long to recover. My theory is that all the topicals and cleansing chronically dehydrated the skin and wore down that moisture barrier top level. I was using shit and obsessively washing for like 7 years, so it makes sense it took this long to heal. I believe the orange peel is a symptom of dehydrated skin. And Emu Oil will fix it. And Derma rolling prior to applying the oil will help its absorption into the skin.

Shame on that dermatologist for telling you the problem would never resolve. I have so many horror stories about dermatologists who had no idea what was going on with my skin. Fuck them. Dont listen to them. You will heal. There is a solution. It will be hard but please take comfort in knowing that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Please message me with any furtherquestions. Stay strong!

-Zach

I'm really encouraged by this post, but what about sunscreen? Isn't it universal that one should always apply sunscreen? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@floridagirl1991)

Posted : 01/20/2019 3:35 am

5 hours ago, superbobbay said:

I'm really encouraged by this post, but what about sunscreen? Isn't it universal that one should always apply sunscreen? Thanks!

You can use sunscreen if you want , but they're right it's best imo to stop everything.

MemberMember
(@noseriki)

Posted : 01/22/2019 10:26 pm

I found a new product that is even better than emu oil for this condition!Its called Urea. I use the Eucerin brand 5% urea face cream. Its incredible. I use in the morning and night, and at night, I put emu oil on top of the urea cream. Hope this helps!

And yes, you can use amoisturizer/sunscreen. But at least in the beginning, I think its best to use nothing. And then slowly introduce sunscreen and/or moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@fleurceres)

Posted : 01/24/2019 3:03 pm

Hi,

I am from holland so my English is not the best.
I was looking on the internet for help to fix my skin barrier. I had a horrible skin reaction after a badmicrodermabrasie in march 2018.

Normal I don't react on forums. But I have been there when I was 19 years. I thought also that my skin was damage, Lot of sun when I was on antibiotics, with bad acne products.

It was looks older with large pores than. I had a depression and don't want to live anymore than. But I want to help because I sat/sit in the same bote.

This sounds hard what I gonna say now..

But the damage that had been done with the pores, will not go away. You don't get that perfect structure back.

BUT your skin is now also in stress and broken so it looks way worse. And believe me when you have the orange peel, that is really because your skin is broken. The acid mantle, the barrier, everything.

First you want to leave your skin alone. So it can heal the skin barrier. A skin that have stress looks like a orange peel.
I thought it will never happen to me again but last year it did and way worse. My skin was a mess, everything, every cream burns , wrinkles, big pores, not plump and healthy. RED.
Your skin tells you that you must stop with everything.

When your skin heals,the pores and your skin will looks finer and softer. Your skin will look plump again. And the redness will be gone. It will looks way better. It wil be difficult to accept and maybe you always will carry it with you but it is livable.

Also roaccutane helps extremely good with the pore structure and did a lot for my face. It push everything out so your pores can shrink a LITTLE. Your face will smooth out. For me it was worth it. At the end of the course you have like new skin.

So I am almost a year further now and I am still on the point that my face it not completely the same.

My regime now is still simple but it helps my skin on the moment:
step 1 = La Roche posey spray water
step 2 = When your face is still damp slather aloe vera gel directly from the plant on your face. The real Aloe vera is very good.
step 3 = 1 our 2 drops squalane oil when the aloe vera is still wett.
Step 4 = And than over that: I found this out 4 days ago and my face is becoming smooooooooth. Very fast. SIMPLE: In the evening thick layer of yes... VASELINE on everythingand If you can at day to.

If you get a pimple, don't stop, maybe you must go tru that.

And no make up our washing your face with cleaners now. Only water and not rubbing.

I will try the vaseline part 17 days with the hope that my face isback normal..

MemberMember
(@fleurceres)

Posted : 01/25/2019 8:36 am

Urea can fix a lot of things if your skin is ready for it..

If you skin to sesitive yet you don't want to use it. because it is a littleexfoiliating.

Idon'tknow it which fase your skin is now.

But if your skin can handle anything than you than you want to listen to NoSeRiki.

After thatslowlyintroduce Pure Rose water. With no otheringredients.
If that is okethan you can try : Soley healing creme for a while.

And please try my regime after that. I am very gentle with my skin and its theonly thing now that works.

I am also onaccutane now. Lifesaver.

I think I am almost ready to a next step. I want to try emu oil and skinceuticals b5 gel en triple restore cream.

If your skin is heal COMPLETLY than you want to try serums with retinol and vit C.Because that is for anti aging. But it takes a long road for you will get there.

MemberMember
(@fasthealing)

Posted : 02/25/2019 9:10 pm

Guys/what/do/you/think/about/dermaroler???

Can/it/helped/me/healed?

MemberMember
(@noseriki)

Posted : 02/26/2019 1:32 pm

This is a magic product: SVR Xerial 30 cream. Order and start using immediately.

MemberMember
(@phuong-nguyen)

Posted : 03/04/2019 9:53 am

Ive probably done more research and spent more moneyon this topic than anyone else. The last few months Ive been making a lot of breakthroughs, but Ive been over doing it. Im still confident I will fully heal. What retinol damage does to us, is it injuries the skin at the cellular level, specifically mitochondria damage. You can actually google mitochondria retinol damage. I believe antioxidants like alpha lipoic acid, and niacinamide, and resveratrol can help. Also no more harsh ingredients. Emu oil sound good, but its too much Oleic acid. Linoleic acid heals skin better. Try grapeseed and hempseed oil. Ill check back in 2 months.

I did dermaroller for 2 years and it didnt help.

i will add this. The thing that helped the most was water fasting. Yup its true. Water fasting heals the body at the cellular level. Remember, we DONT have scars per say. It is damaged skin and skin cells, but its not scars like from acne. We have to heal it at the cellular level. I plan on doing another water fast soon but this time for 7 days. Look into antioxidants like my last post. acetyl carnitine/alpha lipoic acid is a good one.

MemberMember
(@sicastro)

Posted : 03/25/2019 7:57 pm

Hey everyone,

Going through a stage of extreme hopelessness here. I used to really love my skin, and I had a lot of confidence in how I looked because of it. It's been 8 months now since I've been suffering from the orange peel/fine lines/stinging/burning/sagging/pitting/thinning skin extravaganza. I've simplified my skincare routine for months now and really I just see my skin deteriorating at a rapid rate. I wash with a gentle hydrating cleaner and then apply Cerava PM. Sometimes vaseline at night, sometimes emu oil (which has helped the pimples that came out of no where after this problem started, but that's about it). I've tried so many different things, some that have probably only exacerbated the problem, but I was desperate. Sometimes the only hope I have is getting to a point where my skin feels like it can handle regular products again, in which case maybe I could use a laser to resurface my skin. Which would of course be a terrible idea that would probably destroy my skin further, so I fall back into hopelessness. It doesn't seem like this will ever improve. Maybe my skin will feel better, but I'm not sure the physical appearance will ever change for the better. I don't know how to mourn my skin, to accept it. I have really long hair that I love, but I never wear it down anymore, because the sagging/pores/lines are way more apparent when my hair is not pulled back. This happened to me because of sun exposure. This doesn't seem to be the common story on here, but I did see some people had this reaction. I am wondering if it had something to do with hormone levels at the time of the mild sunburn, or something else (maybe I was wearing a bad product or something). I just don't know. I'm not a crazy sun worshipper, just happened to accumulate some sun last summer and one time outside I got a mild burn and my skin was never the same. I've aways been one to wear sunscreen outside, and I guess that day I just did not reapply fast enough. Since then my skin has only gotten worse. I also wish I would have known all that I know now about skin care, which I'm sure is something a lot of us feel. I tried a lot of different things on my own thinking I knew the right way to care for my skin after this event, even though I had no idea what was going on. Natural products with potentially harsh ingredients, retinoid creams, exfoliants, and my old trusty foaming cleanser because I thought going back to my old skin care routine would somehow bring the same old results. Anyway, see picture below. It didn't start out this bad. I also have the orange peel etc. on my inner cheeks, my nose looks gross, and my under eyes have gotten so much thinner/sunken. I'm terrified how much this might progress if this is what happens in 8 months. I guess the damage has also lead to rosacea? My face burns in the shower if I get any water on it. Most products sting, itch and burn. In the past two weeks flushing has increased, which wasn't really happening before. I flush often when exposed to heat now. I'm stressed that stress makes it worse and then I stress again. You know the drill. The severity of everything has only progressed, while also being very gentle on my skin for the past five months. I'm only 29 years old and this is breaking my heart. It feels like I'm going through the worst breakup of my life (that terrible knots in your stomach feeling). I've seen derms., to no avail. "Just normal aging", no its not, this started after a singular day, and my skin was nothing like this before. "Try microneedling", no thanks. I'm seeing a naturopathic doctor in a week or so to see what other things might be contributing to the failed healing process, she also specializes in skin conditions, so perhaps she will be able to tell it to me more straight. But I still have a bad feeling that she will try to belittle the problem, be confused by it, or make bad suggestions. I'm posting on here to continue the thread of "we are not alone", to ask for any advice, and any updates on individual situations you may have. I have so much empathy for anyone going through this. I wish you all nothing but success, and happy lives surrounded by love. I hope we can find a way to heal in whatever capacity in order to move forward and on with our lives.

fullsizeoutput_2e63.jpeg

MemberMember
(@noseriki)

Posted : 04/01/2019 7:17 am

I think you should try dermarolling (w a .5 or .75) and then immediately applying products containing Urea or alpha lipoicacid. My skin looks just like yours. I definitely thinks theres hope, it just takes such a fucking LONG time to heal.