Notifications
Clear all

Acne as an adult currently 23

MemberMember
(@clobo)

Posted : 01/08/2017 10:31 am

I just want to add a little info on a routine that I find works for me, personally. I've suffered acne since I was 13. It's partially down to hormonal imbalance, so I know it's not going to disappear as it has been over a decade.

first of all, a lot of people actually have a huge misconception of what skin type they are. You're actually better going to a dermatologist, or skin care expert because I for a long time thought I had dry skin, whereas it turns out I have combination. So that then made me have to rethink my whole skin care routine.

first of all, I suffer inflamed acne. But I have to consider reducing the inflammation without irritating my skin. I find tea tree is the best thing for this, tea tree is a natural anti inflammatory as well as anti bacterial. Using a cloth to gently wash then cold water, before using a little tea tree toner. It's handy, because you tend to find most drugstores have their own brand and their all essentially the same. 

Using a cotton pad to use moisturiser - aveeno face moisturiser amazing, however you have to order it online. I get mines on Amazon, but it's magic because you don't need to use a lot. It's soya, it's gentle on the skin and doesn't clog the pours nearly as much as most rich moisturisers, it's light but works as well and not oily. 

another tip to remember is to stop touching your face. Lol, we all touch our face absentmindedly but our hands actually hold the most bacteria so you're not only putting that on your skin, but you're also spreading bacteria.

if you have whiteheads, I can honestly say that sudacrem is the best thing I've ever used. Also, if you have bad acne on your back, better to avoid using a harsh scrub. It can also spread bacteria, using a wash cloth then rinsing off with a shower is enough, and using a toner on your back if you sweat a lot (I have anxiety so I do) then that could also help fight against spreading bacteria.  
Using sudacrem, you need to be careful if you have dry skin not to use on a large area.  But it is an amazing product, antibacterial, antifungal it draws the dirt out and dries it up basically. Use a cotton bud to dab it on and don't answer the door for a couple of hours unless you forget. Lol. 

Steaming your face once a week, and using an anti inflammatory such as tea tree does help, bodyshop do a body wash which is amazing. 

I'm not saying I've found a cure, I still have breakouts but I used to have maybe one or two okay days every couple of weeks - but now unless I'm really stressed my skin can also now stay clear for a few days at a time, which has increased my self confidence

wearing your hair up, off your face when you don't need to is a good idea, too, let your skin breath, your hair catches dirt in the air and when your outside etc think about walking through a city centre and a plum of exhaust when you walk by lol. If you have sensitive skin you need to consider what could be affecting it, I tend to wash my face and tie my hair up when I'm home now. Changing pillowcases regularly, and bed sheets. I change my pillow cases every couple of days because the moisturiser etc from my face a d hair products all stay on the surface of that pillow. Small changes make huge differences. 

I hope it helps someone else who is struggling, it's taken me years to work this out. Most shop bought scrubs etc, if they contain microbeeds etc are not good for your skin, or the environment. If you use a scrub or a wash to frequently, it can dry your skin out and your skin will over compensate by producing too much oil. 
your better with a good daily routine and keeping your skin free and fresh, drinking water obviously helps keep your skin hydrated. I'm not a health freak, but diet does make a difference

if anyone doubts how much stress and hormones can affect acne, I'll send them the photos of my face the day I went into labour compared to two days later. Trying to de-stress, breathing exercises anything whenever you get flustered. Don't get me wrong, I've had to work full time behind a bar, and go to college with acne. It's mentally debilitating, I get that. It does not make it easy when that's what you've got to do day to day. If you're at work, start the night you break off before your day off and every free chance you take a breather. . Xox