Notifications
Clear all

Going to the dermatologist - any advice?

MemberMember
(@slvh)

Posted : 09/13/2016 5:27 pm

Hey everyone,

I've struggled with acne since I was 12, and now at 23 it's been showing no signs of leaving. I've tried tetracyclin, lymecyclin, duac, other topical creams, different contraceptive pills, roaccutane, UV lamp regimes, diary free diet, cutting back on gluten, quitting alcohol, caffeine and more. I've experimented with different types of make up, and when on holiday gone without to not much benefit. On friday I'm going back to the dermatologist (a different one from previously)and just wondered if anyone had any advice on what to make sure I say, anything to suggest, things to look out for that she might mention etc. Based on my untrained eye I have a mixture of scarring, whiteheads, blackheads and papules - mostly located around my mouth, chin, and jawline

I really need to get it right this time as I'm struggling to cope. I'm scared to eat any of my favourite foods in case they give me spots, carry 3 different kinds of foundation in my bag, and have on several occasions resisted the urge to just take a piece of sandpaper to my face and hope for the best. I have a tendancy to brush over my struggles when face to face, but I really want to make the most of this appointment.

MemberMember
(@jenjen77)

Posted : 09/13/2016 11:48 pm

6 hours ago, Slvh said:

Hey everyone,

I've struggled with acne since I was 12, and now at 23 it's been showing no signs of leaving. I've tried tetracyclin, lymecyclin, duac, other topical creams, different contraceptive pills, roaccutane, UV lamp regimes, diary free diet, cutting back on gluten, quitting alcohol, caffeine and more. I've experimented with different types of make up, and when on holiday gone without to not much benefit. On friday I'm going back to the dermatologist (a different one from previously)and just wondered if anyone had any advice on what to make sure I say, anything to suggest, things to look out for that she might mention etc. Based on my untrained eye I have a mixture of scarring, whiteheads, blackheads and papules - mostly located around my mouth, chin, and jawline

I really need to get it right this time as I'm struggling to cope. I'm scared to eat any of my favourite foods in case they give me spots, carry 3 different kinds of foundation in my bag, and have on several occasions resisted the urge to just take a piece of sandpaper to my face and hope for the best. I have a tendancy to brush over my struggles when face to face, but I really want to make the most of this appointment.

Be completely honest with them. Make sure they know you are willing to do anything to fix your acne. Also, try to avoid accutane at all costs

MemberMember
(@slvh)

Posted : 09/14/2016 1:48 am

what makes you say that? when i had it previously it seemed to have a pretty good effect but did not completely clear