Notifications
Clear all

Tropics/jungles

MemberMember
(@luckychicken)

Posted : 06/02/2016 4:01 pm

Hello

I want to go to the tropics this summer but I'm not sure if I should. I have back acne, and I had bad cystic acne in the past (face) which has given me scars. I'm afraid the tropics will be a huge problem for my skin. I'm also light skinned so basically I'll have to put DEET, sunscreen on my skin during the day, and may as well be on doxycycline to prevent outbreaks.

But is it all worth it I wonder.

Do other people have experiences with going to the tropics? I want to experience the jungles but I guess I'll be more worried about my skin than actually enjoy my holidays. I suspect that my back acne is also due to hot/humid conditions even in the temperate climate at home (my back is the first part of my body that heavily sweats during exercise), so jungles seem totally not made for me.
I have not been to the deep tropics before. I have been to deserts but I don't recall any skin problems. The hot + humid is possibly the culprit.

MemberMember
(@riley-k)

Posted : 06/05/2016 6:38 pm

Hi there, 

I just recently experienced the same scenario as you, as I have moderately bad acne and went to Bali/Thailand just a few weeks ago. I was terrified of going because of the humidity, and dreading that my acne might get out of hand in that kind of hot weather. I started a 30 day dose of doxycycline a week before I left, and used epiduo during the day (with sunscreen over it of course) and glycolix 20/20 glycolic/salicylic combo acid pads before bed every night (available on Amazon.com- i absolutely love them). That regimen along with drinking a ton of water everyday really helped my skin while I was there. I was there for 2 weeks and never experienced a breakout :)