Notifications
Clear all

Blackhead/white Removal, dermatologist

MemberMember
(@virse)

Posted : 04/10/2016 12:06 am

Alright. I've got a fairly large white head on my nose, and by large I really do mean that. I have another large black head on my cheek, and they've been there for ages and ages. Naturally I want them gone and I'm fed up with them, so:

-Is it better to go to a dermatologist to have these sort of things removed, or is in-home treatment easy (even though they're large and I have no experience) ?
- Should I expect any kind of scar at all? What is the healing process associated with this? I mean, should I expect something of an open wound for a few days, or what?

And for anyone who happens to be from Ontario who might have any idea, what is the expected cost $ to a dermatologist for this sort of thing?

Thanks for any help.

MemberMember
(@virse)

Posted : 04/14/2016 7:42 pm

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 04/14/2016 8:12 pm

If it's just the 2 spots and no others, you could probably just extract them yourself. Do it after a shower, the steam and the heat will help soften things and draw them to the surface. Wash and Purell your hands, and very carefully with a tissue, carefully and very gently apply pressure to draw out the pore plug. Do not force! Do not use tweezers or other tools! If gentle pressure does not draw out the blockages, then you could consider going to a spa to have them extracted professionally. Either way, manual extraction can leave a mark or an enlarged pore, but more often than not it shrinks back down, at least that's been my experience. The problem is when the same areas get clogged again and again and again...this can lead to ice pick scars. Chemical extraction with a retinoid is really the best way to draw out blackheads/whiteheads, but unless they're everywhere most derms won't prescribe just for two spots.

Good luck! :)