Notifications
Clear all

My Dermatologist Told Me To Never Use Moisturiser

MemberMember
(@shriekin-contender)

Posted : 01/13/2016 4:00 pm

1 hour ago, Luna878 said:

A couple studies to note here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1468-2494.2012.00751.x/full (moisturizers can prevent/help treat scarring in acne patients)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3997206/
(Interesting to note: "The reparative properties of the skin care regimen offset the ongoing effects of concurrently used topical and/or oral acne therapies, which are known to induce impairment of the epidermal permeability barrier...")

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4025519/ (assesses the efficacy of various moisturizers for acne-prone skin)

My two cents: Everyone is different. Perhaps your skin will be fine without a moisturizer. It may be a good idea (if you're questioning your Derm's advice) to experiment and see what your skin likes better. Try no moisturizer for a month, then use one every day for a month, or something like that.

Personally I have dry skin, and I went through a phase where I was absolutely paraniod of putting anything on my face. I went without moisturizer for practically months until I started to notice my scars weren't healing like normal because of the drying acne treatments I was using. So my main concern is to prevent you from experiencing prolonged or permanent scarring because of this choice, like I did.

I think it's important to note that external products aren't usually the cause of persistent acne, so IMO moisturizer isn't as much of an issue as people seem to think. Even if you use a non-comedogenic moisturizer perfect for your skin, you may still get breakouts from internal issues and blame the poor 'ol innocent product (as I did).

I'll look into them. Thanks for the feedback 🙂

MemberMember
(@luna878)

Posted : 01/13/2016 9:55 pm

3 hours ago, Zeikaleh said:

I have the same problem, every moisturiser I've tried causes acne. Ive stopped using cream and everything else, just using goats milk soap and water. My face is dry but there has been no new acne. Don't know if i should use noncomedogenic moisturiser, it might cause breakout.

You should definitely try coconut oil, it won't cause any breakouts despite it being an oil. Ive used it and it works. But now I'm just testing my skin without using it.

I experimented with using coconut oil and my skin felt really congested shortly after. It's rated as highly comedogenic (4 or 5) but if it works for you then I'm glad and all for you using it. Just didn't work for me at all.

I happen to LOVE Argan oil for my skin though. It's not cheap but hydrates my skin very nicely. It's been given a "0" comedogenic rating so I have no issue recommending it to friends with acne.

However I use coconut oil all the time in my diet as a cooking/baking oil. For my food it's fabulous! (Just not for my face.)

MemberMember
(@shailynn129)

Posted : 12/21/2017 2:27 am

I've just now stumbled across your page (so sorry for such a late response!) But, I have generally the same problem as you do! I've vanished from all acne cleansers, soaps, ect on my face. I currently try to wash my face once a day. So that my face can produce natural oil to moisturize my face. I didn't break out as much when I used a soap on my face (DOVE BEAUTY BAR) But when I did break out, which I did regardless, it would be 10x worse than now. My skin was also super dry so it would call for more moisturize (=more breakout) in my case.. I've now been away from cleansers for two months and my skin honestly is a lot better. I'm still frustrated because I still have lil breakouts on my cheeks. I wash with a clean wash rag and Luke warm water every day, or even cool-warm water. I exfoliate once a week or when my skin starts feeling grimey. And other days I just pat my skin dry. I've noticed that my forehead (where I've never used cleansers not moisturize) doesn't break out. Just where I've put things on my face so... I know it will take awhile for my skin to go back to normal but I trust it will in time. I mean, it already looks better after two months! As for sunscreen, I've yet to find one that doesn't break me out. & For moisturize, fine one that doesn't clog pores and only apply once-twice a week if skin is feeling super dry. AFTER SHOWER so skin is still moist and pores are open. (Pea sized!))) Even if it doesn't feel like enough. The water on your face will help spread it. Add a humidifier to your room, drink tons of water. And don't touch your face, keep your hair off your face, also try to find get an aloe vera plant and make a aloe/water spray to use on your face as moisturize when it's dry! Good stuff. Hope this helped. Don't use normal soap on your face it'll cause premature wrinkles one day and mess up skins natural balance. Chemicals were not meant for our faces, keep it natural as can be. I know acne sucks, and if you do use anything get a spot treatment for the pimples such we Saliycic acid and only apply to the zits, do not rub all over face. (And no picking or popping!)