Notifications
Clear all

Hello Acne.org. Im New And I've Finally Been Referred To A Dermatologist...

MemberMember
(@hollytree)

Posted : 07/05/2015 4:32 pm

Hello! I'm very new to this having only just joined the forum tonight.

I've been reading posts on and off for several months and felt that this was the right time to introduce myself to you all!

I'm a 23yo female who has suffered with acne since I was around 13. I have been on all sorts of treatments since then, some that have worked and some that haven't. Throughout my teens my skin ranged from being riddled with acne on my face and back, to clearing, to continuing into adulthood and becoming cystic.

I have moderate acne, mostly around my chin and on my nose. I was put on Yasmin at 18 which I continue to take now (although I don't see it working much anymore..). I have also been put on zineryt in the past which usually cleared me up but with it lasting only 5 weeks I left months inbetween treatments.

In January, I was put on lymecycline antibiotics once a day which may have helped slightly but I was never sure. After stopping that cycle, I've broken out as if I was a teenager again, the worst it's been in years. Small cysts, huge swelling cysts, small and medium pustules and my poor nose is covered.

I went to the doctors and was given a new female doctor who I hadn't met before, I had been reading about being referred to a dermatologist on acne.org and was ready to ask before the lovely woman suggested it herself. I'm thrilled... Just hoping my referral doesn't get rejected as I was only on antibiotics for six weeks. She has restarted my course of lymecycline with two tablets a day and kept my Yasmin on the go.

My question to all you referrals out there.... What was your first appointment like? Were you instantly prescribed accutane/roaccutane? Did it take some convincing? Knowing my luck I'll get an appointment and my skin will clear up.

This is the first time I've ever posted in any kind of forum before so any advice would be great! I don't know anybody else with adult acne so having some people to talk to that understand what I'm going through will be a relief!

MemberMember
(@ihateusernamesx)

Posted : 07/11/2015 4:42 pm

Hi there!

I am in exactly the same situation as you down to same age and everything! Ive been to and from derm offices for years!

Obviously every dermatologist is different but mine have generally had a good look at my face, asked me how it affects me, double checks medicines I have been on already. I've been on roaccutane twice and neither took convincing to be honest but as I say every one is different!

If it helps every time my appointment comes round my skin looks ok but they still keep seeing me lol