Notifications
Clear all

Itchy And Blotchy Skin. Help! [Pics Included]

MemberMember
(@roooobs)

Posted : 06/14/2015 12:35 am

Hello all!

This is my first post ever on acne.org, though I have been a long-time lurker.

I am a 25-yr-old Asian female, and I have suffered from acne for about 6 years now. I have tried everything from benzoyl peroxide to Accutane, but unfortunately my acne problems still persist. But these days, that is not my only problem.

I had been using clindamycin gel and adapalene 1% for about 2 months, but I noticed that I started to get this rash-like bumps all over my face. It became extremely itchy as well. I am pretty sure this was because of adapalene, but I just went ahead and stopped using all acne-related products because I didn't like how sensitive my already-sensitive skin was becoming.

Right now, I don't really have that many big, inflamed pimples that I used to get, but my entire face is covered with these little bumps that I can see under certain lighting (such as sunlight). Not only that, it is all blotchy and itchy as well. My skin doesn't just look like it's suffering from acne...it looks DISEASED.

I'm thinking that this is some sort of dermatitis. I thought it was contact dermatitis from using adapalene/clindamycin, but it's already been more than 2 weeks since I stopped using them...and the problems still persist.

Below are pictures of my skin that I took just now:

SHAL9nq.jpg

Left cheek

Xp4cJNi.jpg

Right cheek

I'm going to see a dermatologist in a few days because I can't stand the itchiness and horrible blotches any longer, but I just wanted to get your opinions before I walk in to that office! (I'm scared he will be one of those doctors that just hands me some steroid/antibiotics without providing a proper diagnosis).

What do you guys think???? Anyone going through or went through similar problem? PLEASE HELP.

Thank you!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/14/2015 5:11 am

Is it excessively dry and scaly no matter how much moisturizer you use. If that's the case, it may indeed be dermatitis which is what happened to me on differin and Aczone. My derm gave me elidel cream which is not a steroid but it is not that great for skin. It should help reduce the inflammation in a few weeks and then you can stop.

At two months in, bumps are normal and could be purging but if they itch and are rashly, that could be something else entirely.

Please update us once you get a response.

MemberMember
(@roooobs)

Posted : 06/15/2015 4:59 pm

Is it excessively dry and scaly no matter how much moisturizer you use. If that's the case, it may indeed be dermatitis which is what happened to me on differin and Aczone. My derm gave me elidel cream which is not a steroid but it is not that great for skin. It should help reduce the inflammation in a few weeks and then you can stop.

At two months in, bumps are normal and could be purging but if they itch and are rashly, that could be something else entirely.

Please update us once you get a response.

It feels dry even when it looks fine (not scaly).

I've done more searching, and I am beginning to think it I might have folliculitis...

I looked at my face under sunlight today, and it looks even worse! I think it's starting to spread down my neck now :(

I'm going to the dermatologist tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted!

MemberMember
(@roooobs)

Posted : 06/18/2015 8:41 pm

Soooo it turns out that I have contact dermatitis indeed.

I stopped using CeraVe Facial Cleanser and PM Moisturizer because these became too irritating for my super sensitive skin (it's weird because I have been using these for over 2 years now).

I started using Vanicream Gentle Cleanser and the cream and my face feels much better now. Itching&bumps are still there, but it has gotten much better...I feel like I'm in heaven now that I don't have constant, crazy itching all over my face anymore :D

Oh, and I am also taking Zyrtec to reduce the itch, since itching makes contact dermatitis worse.