Notifications
Clear all

Will I Grow Out Of Acne?

MemberMember
(@kingjosie)

Posted : 06/13/2015 11:46 am

So, I'm kinda hopeful right now that my acne is just hormonal and teenage (I'm 16 years old and had it since I was 13). It is only mild but it does annoy me.

Anyway, both of my parents said they had teenage acne, but my dad said his was pretty moderate so was slightly worse than mine, although I think I might just keep stopping it from getting to that stage with all my different treatments (so if I stopped treating it and let it be, it could be moderate rather than mild).

I asked them when they grew out of their teenage acne, and my dad said about 18 while my mum said about the same, and they don't get any acne in their adult years.

What I was wondering is, if my acne is genetic, will I grow out of it at the same age my parents did? Or is there a chance I could get adult acne even if neither of my parents do? Or if perhaps using treatments for it might increase the age at which it finally goes away?

Sorry this is pretty vague, I would like to hear your opinions on this matter and if you think acne and the age at which you grow out of it or if you don't is hereditary.

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 06/13/2015 3:28 pm

Well there's no sure way of telling, but it sounds to me you have a pretty good chance of growing out of it around the same time your parents did, especially if it's mild at the moment. Sadly I'm 23 and still suffering with it. :(

MemberMember
(@garrettryan)

Posted : 06/13/2015 5:41 pm

This forum will be pretty bias when it comes to the topic of outgrowing acne, since it's basically just a big collection of acne sufferers adult and adolescent alike! And also people whom have grown out of acne aren't typically browsing the web looking to put their input in on acne, unfortunately.

The statistics are definitely in your favor though! I've heard of lots of people who've grown out of acne at relatively early ages. Although for most people the age it really seems to calm down by is 25. Keep in mind that for guys its generally easier to outgrow acne, because women face more hormonal changes after puberty unfortunately.. but even most of them outgrow it as well! Just keep in mind that you are not classified as having clinical adult acne until you are 25. The fact that your acne is only mild is a strike in your favor that you should outgrow it as the puberty hormones calm down!

Hope this helps (:

MemberMember
(@cenobia)

Posted : 06/13/2015 6:49 pm

Well I can say for sure that my acne was probably at its worst when I was 16. I'm 19 now and it has certainly improved although I still get it, but for example I barely get it on my forehead anymore. The best thing you can do is treat your skin well regardless, so as to prevent any scarring and have a healthy diet, because a bad diet could possibly extend your acne's stay.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@mrfringe)

Posted : 06/14/2015 6:08 am

I'm 32 bud and still suffering.

My sister used to have acne too but for her it stopped around age 29/30.

So I've no idea why for me it's continued, though I feels it's mostly hormonal.

MemberMember
(@delovely)

Posted : 06/18/2015 1:53 pm

There's a chance of acne continuing into your 20s, but odds are if your parents outgrew it in their late teens then you will, too!

Unfortunately for me, mine didn't resolve until my late 30s. Mine was mainly hormone-driven.

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 06/18/2015 5:19 pm

I feel your pain op. I am 26 and unfortunately I will have acne for a long time. Fortunately I am able to maintain a healthy regimen that works for me that keeps my acne at bay. I wish that when I was a teenager around your age, I had this website with tons of support, options and answers. Knowing what I know now would've saved me years of depression and anxiety over my acne. The advice I can lend you from hearing your story is that I think you should try something like cod liver oil which helps balance hormones. Had i done this earlier, I think I would've saved years of stress and acne marks on my face. Panoxyl face wash works great as well. The regimen I have now has left me with no acne what so ever which is pretty amazing to me. If you want to know what my regimen is exactly just pm me. Or read my profile! Good luck! Cheers

kingjosie liked
MemberMember
(@kingjosie)

Posted : 06/22/2015 4:19 am

ah i see, thanks for your help guys!! i guess the best thing i can really do is wait and find out huh

and wishing the rest of you luck with your war against acne too :)

MemberMember
(@daileeh)

Posted : 06/25/2015 9:44 pm

About that cod liver oil to balance your hormones...

Because your acne is so mild and we do suspect that it's just acne from puberty - I, personally, wouldn't recommend using any supplements just yet.

You don't want to take something that could alter your body in anyway. Let your body do what it's naturally suppose to do.

If by the time you're 19-20 and your acne has gotten worse, consider the cod liver oil. But for now, you really don't want to be putting stuff in your body when you're not so sure yet if you'll grow out of it.

.___.''

MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 06/25/2015 10:34 pm

That's a thought and I understand where you're coming from but cod liver oil is actually very healthy for the body regardless of age. It doesn't "alter" the body as in say an antibiotic or a synthetic pharmaceutical drug would. Keep in mind, it is all natural and has many different benefits and has no real risk of harming your body from the research I've done. You can stop or start at any time and there are no withdrawals or repercussions. I've gone off and on using cod liver oil and it's been nothing but beneficial. Just my thought. Cheers

MemberMember
(@kingjosie)

Posted : 06/26/2015 5:13 am

yeah i took cod liver oil when i was little as it apparently helps concentration or something like that. i recently had a period of taking it in an attempt to help my acne along with other supplements as i heard it is supposed to help with the oily skin but it didnt do much so ive stopped with the supplements, but right now im taking lymecycline (which so far hasnt done much or perhaps made my acne worse) and im hopefully gonna go on the pill soon, so its possibly too late for not doing something that can alter the body in any way especially as my hormones are everywhere anyway, so it should be beneficial in multiple ways. thank you for the consideration though!!

MN121188 liked
MemberMember
(@mn121188)

Posted : 06/26/2015 7:34 am

I really hope everything works out for you! Keep us updated. Cheers