Acne

MemberMember
(@daviddave)

Posted : 01/26/2015 9:54 am

hello friends..

Recently i got affected by this stupid severe acne problem......At first it was minimal with 2-3 new ones per week, and then gradually it increased.And now it is greatly affected by the foods i eat,whenever i eat something with gluten on it i get acne on forehead and whenever i increase my sugar intake i get acne on cheeks...both cases they are severe acne some are cystic too.... i have been in this condition for nearly a year now and i have tested the progress with variety of foods...

2-3 months before i had an appendicitis operation and during those days my food intake was minimal and my skin was 100% clear during that period ... and remember only during that period !!

And when i started to take regular foods my acne returned back ..And from this i knew that diet is controlling my acne with certain hormonal imbalances causing insulin to rise leading to inflammation and finally acne.

Normally im underweight , and on top of that due to this acne condition i eliminated several foods leading to further weight loss............now im very very thin ..plz someone help me to gain on my lost pounds without affecting acne...

my list of non eatable foods include :

high glycemic foods eg:bananas,and other citrus fruits

gluten containing foods

diary foods

nuts&seeds

even foods with salt content (iodine) eg:fish,chicken etc causing acne for me

is there anyone who have battled this situation plz someone help.. im desperate

I have lost all my confidence and now i have become antisocial due to this...

i generally feel weak both mentally and physically due to this condition face with full of acne and black marks and combined with an unhealthy weak thin body...

If i try to eat uncontrollably i would wreck havoc on face with acne

someone plz help.. suggest some foods high in calories which will not affect my acne condition... waiting for responses..

plz note i have tried several acne medications: benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin, zinc ,cod liver oil etc etc

none seemed to help .

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/26/2015 11:06 am

You need protein and without meats and nuts, that's hard. But look into tofu (if soy doesn't bother you), quinoa, couscous, buckwheat, lentils, beans, vegetables like sweet potatoes, yams, kale, chard, spinach, brussels sprouts....

And garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Yum.

MemberMember
(@glitznzits)

Posted : 01/26/2015 11:59 am

i totally understand dude. i developed an eating disorder from avoiding foods that i imagined caused acne. what happens is, when you eat a food you think will break you out, you get anxious about it and beat yourself up about it, causing stress and...acne! then it seems like the food caused the acne. when you eliminate foods, you lose weight, and losing weight (having a calorie deficit) causes the skin to temporarily clear, making it seem that food avoidance is clearing the skin. obviously you can't always have a calorie deficit of you will starve and get too skinny though as you are noticing :)

the only foods proven or even associtated with acne are dairy, sugar, large amounts of dark chocolate, and some nuts in some people. unless you have celiac disease, gluten will not affect the skin. gluten can cause an acne-like rash in people with celiac disease but it doesn't cause acne. celiac is very rare. Large amounts of iodine can cause acne but we are talking about eating a ton of seaweed here, not the occasional piece of fish. fish oils are very good for you and will actually help the skin. salt and iodine are not the same thing. iodine is added to commercial salt. chicken does not contain iodine.

please, i have been where you are, i know it isn't fun.

eat a normal healthy diet that includes lots of protein from beans, meat, legumes, poultry, etc. get lots of veggies and have some green tea and fish oils which are great for your health overall and your skin.

are you using any topical treatment? that will make a much bigger difference than being afraid of eating chicken or an orange. i'd suggest a topical retinoid. they helped me much more than my insane diet (strict paleo) and i was much happier when i started eating like a normal person again and could relax and have some fun. good luck and feel free to PM me.

MemberMember
(@daviddave)

Posted : 01/27/2015 3:38 am

You need protein and without meats and nuts, that's hard. But look into tofu (if soy doesn't bother you), quinoa, couscous, buckwheat, lentils, beans, vegetables like sweet potatoes, yams, kale, chard, spinach, brussels sprouts....

And garbanzo beans (chickpeas). Yum.

thanku for replying ... heard that eating sweet potatoes in large amounts cause weight loss.

i totally understand dude. i developed an eating disorder from avoiding foods that i imagined caused acne. what happens is, when you eat a food you think will break you out, you get anxious about it and beat yourself up about it, causing stress and...acne! then it seems like the food caused the acne. when you eliminate foods, you lose weight, and losing weight (having a calorie deficit) causes the skin to temporarily clear, making it seem that food avoidance is clearing the skin. obviously you can't always have a calorie deficit of you will starve and get too skinny though as you are noticing

the only foods proven or even associtated with acne are dairy, sugar, large amounts of dark chocolate, and some nuts in some people. unless you have celiac disease, gluten will not affect the skin. gluten can cause an acne-like rash in people with celiac disease but it doesn't cause acne. celiac is very rare. Large amounts of iodine can cause acne but we are talking about eating a ton of seaweed here, not the occasional piece of fish. fish oils are very good for you and will actually help the skin. salt and iodine are not the same thing. iodine is added to commercial salt. chicken does not contain iodine.

please, i have been where you are, i know it isn't fun.

eat a normal healthy diet that includes lots of protein from beans, meat, legumes, poultry, etc. get lots of veggies and have some green tea and fish oils which are great for your health overall and your skin.

are you using any topical treatment? that will make a much bigger difference than being afraid of eating chicken or an orange. i'd suggest a topical retinoid. they helped me much more than my insane diet (strict paleo) and i was much happier when i started eating like a normal person again and could relax and have some fun. good luck and feel free to PM me.

thanku for responding

well i havnt tried any topical retinoid treatments till now other than ordinary treatments such as clindamycin & benzoyl peroxide(both seems to worsen my acne) !!..plz suggest some good topical treatments which have helped you,they are my last hope ..

i think maybe i have some problems related to digestion..,for 2-3years inbetween regularly im affected with fever or any other kind of ailments and resulted in taking tons of antibiotics which suppose may have depleted my intestinal flora leading to leaky gut and that must be the reason why im sensitive to gluten now...

i dont know why even oily /greasy foods causing acne...and i have tested it several times .....skin will be somewhat clear then when i take these foods, bang 2-3 painfull cyst like acne appear within 1-2 days .

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/27/2015 1:22 pm

I don't think you should eat any one thing in "large" amounts. It's all about consuming a variety of healthy foods.

MemberMember
(@glitznzits)

Posted : 02/09/2015 9:18 am

Sorry to take so long to respond! I use tretonin .05% (brand I use is Atralin) but other examples of good ones are retin-a micro and tazorac. Tazorac is a bit stronger than .05% tretonin so I am going to try that next to see if it works better than the atralin, which seems to be "wearing off" a little.

As a side note, this site can be a catch-22...while its full of good information and sometimes some much-needed comfort in commiseration, it is also full of people with bad skin, so very few people on here have the answers...if we did we'd be off having fun and not worrying about our skin on the internet :)

MemberMember
(@krabb)

Posted : 02/10/2015 11:29 am

Hello below is the set up I have been using for 3 months now. So happy to finally be on top of my spots. It is so worth the effort.

No dairy products

Drink plenty of water

Drink matcha green tea or regular green tea instead of coffee/energy drinks/black tea

Use PureChimp Super Cleanser

Use brown instead of white. For example brown rice instead of white rice.

Cut down on sugary foods

Exercise at least 3 times a week

I hope this helps you. After 3 months I found its easy to follow & its just all a good habit now.