Notifications
Clear all

Vitamins Making Acne Worse?

MemberMember
(@snoopdog5566)

Posted : 01/12/2015 7:03 pm

So I'm a 14 year old teenager, with pretty mild acne. I have a pretty good lifestyle, I use an organic soap, I workout a lot daily(been making a lot of gains lol) I drink lots of water, I only ocassionally eat junk food, and still my acne hasn't improved. So I read up on taking vitamins to help fight acne. I started taking 2 gel 5000iu pills of vit D3, 2 30mg zinc tablets, 2 magnesium tablets, and one non flush niacin pill. I've been doing this for about 70 days, and haven't noticed much of a change. Could one of those supplements be worsening my acne? I feel like my overall skin looks better but not my acne itself. Thanks for the help

I've also read that these vitamins help with oily skin, but my face still gets super oily by 4th period in my school . Also I have pretty bad bacne(mostly from black hairs growing in my back) and it seems as if I can just scratch off the clogged pores. Any advice on how to fix that would be great

MemberMember
(@username110)

Posted : 01/13/2015 6:58 pm

Also I have pretty bad bacne(mostly from black hairs growing in my back) and it seems as if I can just scratch off the clogged pores. Any advice on how to fix that would be great

in my personal experience ive found daily, warm shower (simply showering my back for 5min or so) seems to work quite well at clearing up back-acne when it does flare up.

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/16/2015 10:25 am

Well, I know this sucks to hear, but you are 14. It sounds like you are doing everything right but you're at an age where your hormones will be making a lot of changes in your body and acne may just be something you're going to have to deal with for a while. However, you should be able to control it, if not eradicate it.

Have you tried using a cleanser with benzoyl peroxide in it? BP will kill most of the acne causing bacteria.

Typically, you have to attack acne from a variety of fronts - internally and topically - unless your acne is caused by irritation to the skin (contact dermatitis), an infection like staph, or an allergy.

MemberMember
(@snoopdog5566)

Posted : 01/20/2015 12:47 am

Well, I know this sucks to hear, but you are 14. It sounds like you are doing everything right but you're at an age where your hormones will be making a lot of changes in your body and acne may just be something you're going to have to deal with for a while. However, you should be able to control it, if not eradicate it.

Have you tried using a cleanser with benzoyl peroxide in it? BP will kill most of the acne causing bacteria.

Typically, you have to attack acne from a variety of fronts - internally and topically - unless your acne is caused by irritation to the skin (contact dermatitis), an infection like staph, or an allergy.

Thanks for the repl . I've tried countless products, but I've come to terms that the best thing I can do is using less products. And that has helped me a lot. I have a few bumps here and there, and maybe the occasional cyst, but my face is slowly looking better

Also I have pretty bad bacne(mostly from black hairs growing in my back) and it seems as if I can just scratch off the clogged pores. Any advice on how to fix that would be great

in my personal experience ive found daily, warm shower (simply showering my back for 5min or so) seems to work quite well at clearing up back-acne when it does flare up.

Yeah I've found taking a lot more frequent showers helps quite a bi . Thanks for the reply BTW :)

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 01/20/2015 10:27 am

Thanks for the repl . I've tried countless products, but I've come to terms that the best thing I can do is using less products. And that has helped me a lot. I have a few bumps here and there, and maybe the occasional cyst, but my face is slowly looking better

Oh, without a doubt using less products is the best thing for most of us.

MemberMember
(@jamien234)

Posted : 01/20/2015 7:41 pm

I have had a lot of success treating me acne.

The most success I've had is with benzoyl peroxide. I've gone from 10-20 blemishes at a time to absolutely nothing as long as i used it daily when i was a teenager.

I didn't want to use it for life so i've tried other things. No other cleanser has worked for me. Retin-A caused less pimples but still had some. Tanning in a tanning bed(don't recommend it causes wrinkles and other problems) got rid of my acne. Niacin worked for me but you have to get the flushing niacin but I heard long term use is hard on your liver so i stopped using that too.

What I am currently doing that seems to be working for about 6 months now is not washing my face. This only works if you don't put anything on your face though, no shaving cream(use an electric), no moisturizer(one of the benefits is your skin will properly self regulate your oil level), no skin products at all.

I honestly don't know if not washing your face would help given that yours is probably mostly hormonal now.

I would try benzoyl peroxide again, it's not the same as any other topical treatment, it's the only one that consistantly works on all types of acne for virtually everyone who uses it.

MemberMember
(@snoopdog5566)

Posted : 01/21/2015 12:43 am

I have had a lot of success treating me acne.

The most success I've had is with benzoyl peroxide. I've gone from 10-20 blemishes at a time to absolutely nothing as long as i used it daily when i was a teenager.

I didn't want to use it for life so i've tried other things. No other cleanser has worked for me. Retin-A caused less pimples but still had some. Tanning in a tanning bed(don't recommend it causes wrinkles and other problems) got rid of my acne. Niacin worked for me but you have to get the flushing niacin but I heard long term use is hard on your liver so i stopped using that too.

What I am currently doing that seems to be working for about 6 months now is not washing my face. This only works if you don't put anything on your face though, no shaving cream(use an electric), no moisturizer(one of the benefits is your skin will properly self regulate your oil level), no skin products at all.

I honestly don't know if not washing your face would help given that yours is probably mostly hormonal now.

I would try benzoyl peroxide again, it's not the same as any other topical treatment, it's the only one that consistantly works on all types of acne for virtually everyone who uses it.

Yeah I've looked into that before. Only thing that has ever stopped me is exactly what you said, me probably having the cause of my acne be hormonal, I'm not sure it would help too much compared to possibly making my face worse. Maybe when school is out, I might try that out.

MemberMember
(@melloman)

Posted : 01/21/2015 1:31 am

Hey, snoopy.

I looked into vitamins last year, and that lead me to my acne cure. It wasnt the vitamins, though. I had decided to get tests done to figure out what the fuck was wrong. Food sensitivity was the first test I decided to get done, and it was the right one!

I posted my results in some of my topics if u wanna check it out. I only ate the foods it said i didnt react to, and im pretty much clear, exept for when I sleep.

MemberMember
(@snoopdog5566)

Posted : 01/21/2015 9:30 am

Hey, snoopy.

I looked into vitamins last year, and that lead me to my acne cure. It wasnt the vitamins, though. I had decided to get tests done to figure out what the fuck was wrong. Food sensitivity was the first test I decided to get done, and it was the right one!

I posted my results in some of my topics if u wanna check it out. I only ate the foods it said i didnt react to, and im pretty much clear, exept for when I sleep.

Oh wow I've heard about getting tests for that, I didn't know it would work! I'll be sure to check it out, thanks again!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/23/2015 8:25 pm

So I'm a 14 year old teenager, with pretty mild acne. I have a pretty good lifestyle, I use an organic soap, I workout a lot daily(been making a lot of gains lol) I drink lots of water, I only ocassionally eat junk food, and still my acne hasn't improved. So I read up on taking vitamins to help fight acne. I started taking 2 gel 5000iu pills of vit D3, 2 30mg zinc tablets, 2 magnesium tablets, and one non flush niacin pill. I've been doing this for about 70 days, and haven't noticed much of a change. Could one of those supplements be worsening my acne? I feel like my overall skin looks better but not my acne itself. Thanks for the help

I've also read that these vitamins help with oily skin, but my face still gets super oily by 4th period in my school . Also I have pretty bad bacne(mostly from black hairs growing in my back) and it seems as if I can just scratch off the clogged pores. Any advice on how to fix that would be great

Some vitamins can provoke acne... like Zinc for example. For some people it is beneficial, but for others it is not. True, Zinc will help in the healing process, but it also has an effect on testosterone. Another thing... 60mg of Zinc is quite simply too much. You are 20mg beyond the upper intake limit. 40 is the most an adult should be having and even then some individuals may have issues due to toxicity (not everyone is the same). For an adult, the absolute long term maximum for Zinc should be no more than 30mg. Some people can get away with 40, hence it is suggested as the upper intake, but 30 is plentiful. However being 14, I'd drop it to 20 if you can or just stick to a regular 15mg tablet.

Do take into account that toxicity levels are based on age, weight and relative health. Don't over do it. Cut down on the magnesium as well. A common thing people seem to forget is that some elements are absorbed along the same channels as others. So, for example, if you take a ton of Zinc, the absorption of copper, iron and magnesium is going to be effected and most could just end up being wasted. Likewise if the magnesium is absorbed first.

Really, if you want to try the Vitamin D thing, I'd advise you take 1 general multi-vitamin and multi-mineral. These are sold as one product, since the trace elements are included in the tablet. Get one which isn't dirt cheap. The reason I say this is because they'll source the nutrients from cheaper alternatives and vitamins like Vitamin D, will be the D2 form. However since you have D3 caps, this doesn't matter, but as for the other Vitamins I couldn't say. 1 multi vitamin/mineral a day + 1 of your Vitamin D3 caps ought to do it. And remember, this will likely take months, not days or weeks to have any changeable effects externally.

I presume your acne isn't overly inflamed, since you said it was mild. What do you do when washing your face? As the king of oily skin who has it under control (without silly products, designed to rip you off), the best advice I can give is, mild soap and luke warm water. Pat dry. In time (again this is going to take a couple of weeks), your face will tone down the production, assuming your crazy 14 year old hormones aren't doing it for fun.

Cut down on that zinc in all seriousness, you could end up damaging your kidneys (I think it was kidneys, either that or liver).

Quote from Wikipedia

"

However, harmful excessive supplementation is a problem among the relatively affluent, and should probably not exceed 20 mg/day in healthy people,[191] although the U.S. National Research Council set a Tolerable Upper Intake of 40 mg/day.[192]"

MemberMember
(@scuabb)

Posted : 01/28/2015 9:47 am

Hey, snoopy.

Oh wow I've heard about getting tests for that, I didn't know it would work! I'll be sure to check it out, thanks again!

How is the test done ? I read its not accurate

MemberMember
(@snoopdog5566)

Posted : 02/02/2015 1:46 am

Some vitamins can provoke acne... like Zinc for example. For some people it is beneficial, but for others it is not. True, Zinc will help in the healing process, but it also has an effect on testosterone. Another thing... 60mg of Zinc is quite simply too much. You are 20mg beyond the upper intake limit. 40 is the most an adult should be having and even then some individuals may have issues due to toxicity (not everyone is the same). For an adult, the absolute long term maximum for Zinc should be no more than 30mg. Some people can get away with 40, hence it is suggested as the upper intake, but 30 is plentiful. However being 14, I'd drop it to 20 if you can or just stick to a regular 15mg tablet.

Do take into account that toxicity levels are based on age, weight and relative health. Don't over do it. Cut down on the magnesium as well. A common thing people seem to forget is that some elements are absorbed along the same channels as others. So, for example, if you take a ton of Zinc, the absorption of copper, iron and magnesium is going to be effected and most could just end up being wasted. Likewise if the magnesium is absorbed first.

Really, if you want to try the Vitamin D thing, I'd advise you take 1 general multi-vitamin and multi-mineral. These are sold as one product, since the trace elements are included in the tablet. Get one which isn't dirt cheap. The reason I say this is because they'll source the nutrients from cheaper alternatives and vitamins like Vitamin D, will be the D2 form. However since you have D3 caps, this doesn't matter, but as for the other Vitamins I couldn't say. 1 multi vitamin/mineral a day + 1 of your Vitamin D3 caps ought to do it. And remember, this will likely take months, not days or weeks to have any changeable effects externally.

I presume your acne isn't overly inflamed, since you said it was mild. What do you do when washing your face? As the king of oily skin who has it under control (without silly products, designed to rip you off), the best advice I can give is, mild soap and luke warm water. Pat dry. In time (again this is going to take a couple of weeks), your face will tone down the production, assuming your crazy 14 year old hormones aren't doing it for fun.

Cut down on that zinc in all seriousness, you could end up damaging your kidneys (I think it was kidneys, either that or liver).

Quote from Wikipedia"However, harmful excessive supplementation is a problem among the relatively affluent, and should probably not exceed 20 mg/day in healthy people,[191] although the U.S. National Research Council set a Tolerable Upper Intake of 40 mg/day.[192]"

Oh wow i didnt know any of that. Turns out i ran out of my zinc vitamins, so i will be off those for a while. Im also gonna cut my magnesium in half, and i'll look into a better multivitamin of some sort. Thanks for the heads up about vitamins though

MemberMember
(@demonicsheikh)

Posted : 02/02/2015 8:48 am

I would not recommend artificial vitamins for your skin as they cannot help your skin instead take food and make your diet more nutritious........

I had very bad experiment with these artificial vitamins as they make the skin weak and sensitive

MemberMember
(@snoopdog5566)

Posted : 02/03/2015 12:48 am

I would not recommend artificial vitamins for your skin as they cannot help your skin instead take food and make your diet more nutritious........

I had very bad experiment with these artificial vitamins as they make the skin weak and sensitive neutral.gif

Have you tried vitamin d3? Ive done multivitamins before and that made my face horrible if thats what you used before. What vitamin types did you use?

MemberMember
(@demonicsheikh)

Posted : 02/03/2015 2:39 am

I had very bad experiment with these artificial vitamins as they make the skin weak and sensitive neutral.gif

Have you tried vitamin d3? Ive done multivitamins before and that made my face horrible if thats what you used before. What vitamin types did you use?

The same ones as yours. Even my cousin's skin got so weak that she cannot stand in sun rays

MemberMember
(@anne54)

Posted : 02/06/2015 4:35 am

Hi Snoopdogg5566 Intake of vitamins may not be effective for everyone. You could have tried some other methods for reducing it. My sister too had the habit of taking vitamin capsules along with her diet. But she too couldnt get her acne reduced. Later she tried various natural products like neem, lemon, tea tree oil, etc. But even after using these she was not able to recover completely from acne. Then we decided to go for laser therapy. She was examined by Dr.Jain at Fairview laser centre,Toronto. After the treatment she could completely recover from acne. But her doc advised her to reduce exposure to sun as it may cause damage to her skin. Now her skin looks far better than before. So I suggest you to try something like natural remedies or laser treatment for your acne.