Notifications
Clear all

Facial Hair Prevents Acne?

MemberMember
(@twosteps)

Posted : 04/01/2014 5:00 pm

Hey team,

Looking at my face I have 1 pimple and 1 ingrown hair where I have facial hair growing right now (I grow hair like weed but only shave about every 3rd day). Upper parts of my cheeks (no hair) have about 5 pimps per cheek and my forehead (no hair) has about 15 pimps.

I'm convinced my hair is protecting my skin from something that is making it break out. I'm also convinced my obsession with "protecting" my face for the last 6 years ultimately made my acne worse (nobody in my extended family has acne). So, I stopped BP 6 months ago and stopped Salicylic Acid 2 months ago when I switched to Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser (every 12 hours).

Putting BP on my upper cheeks/forehead might help but seems unnecessary since other parts of my face are clear without BP. My fair is super thick and I doubt my cleanser is really even getting to the skin underneath. I'm thinking about only using my cleanser every 24 hours (at night) to see if that will sort this out. I realize the only way to know for sure is to try it myself but if anyone has any experience with a situation like this I would love your input!

Love you guys and super value your opinions and input. Stay strong and confident!!!

Edit: changed my font to something more fun =)

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 04/01/2014 10:31 pm

I never get acne where my beard is, whether I have it grown out or not. I think the skin is thicker or healthier there, or that it doesn't receive direct contact from the water in the shower, or both.

MemberMember
(@shelbyville)

Posted : 04/02/2014 2:14 am

Like scalp hair, beard absorbs sebum and prevents breakouts. Actually, you can see if your skin is healthy because it produces more/less hair.

MemberMember
(@twosteps)

Posted : 04/02/2014 12:32 pm

I never get acne where my beard is, whether I have it grown out or not. I think the skin is thicker or healthier there, or that it doesn't receive direct contact from the water in the shower, or both.

Any tips for caring for the hairless parts of my face? Do you have any experience with the never washing or reduced washing regimens? thanks for the reply

Like scalp hair, beard absorbs sebum and prevents breakouts. Actually, you can see if your skin is healthy because it produces more/less hair.

I can definitely see how beard wicking sebum from the skin would protect it but washing 2x a day I have to use moisturizer keep my skin from drying out. So more hair generally indicates less healthy skin? Judging by my complexion my skin is definitely not healthy haha. thanks for your reply

edit: font improvement