Notifications
Clear all

Make- Up You Can Wear That Won't Cause Break Outs But Will Cover Pimples

MemberMember
(@airlie)

Posted : 02/13/2014 9:59 pm

Makeup with amazing coverage! Here's my story!

I am 25 years old from Australia. I have suffered from acne for about 11 years now. Recently I went past a makeup store with my Mum. She said that she thought my skin looked very powdery and that it wasn't covering any of my pimples. I was using young blood mineral makeup during the day and Dr Jart+ Black label BB cream makeup at night. I found I had to use the Dr Jart at night because the young blood was simply not enough coverage. But I knew that Dr Jart & the Mineral makeup together were causing more pimples but I couldn't be seen in public without any makeup at all. I have also tried just using the mineral makeup by itself for a few months and it didnt help any of my pimples.

The lady at the counter said that she would recommend Estee Lauder Double wear (Stay- in place makeup) if I wanted coverage and makeup that wouldnt clog my skin. So she started to apply the makeup to my face. It was amazing, you couldn't see one pimple and my skin looked flawless! Probably more flawless than it has been in 10 years! I decided to buy the makeup and since then I can't stop smiling. I still have pimples but now when I go out all my friends comment on my skin and say how good it looks. One friend in particular asked what foundation I was wearing and when I told her, she said that's the same makeup that helped her skin and even cleared it up! She had previously suffered with acne for years so she knows the struggle we all have.

I am not sure if it will work for everyone but it has improved my self esteem.

If you have any other foundations/makeup products that you would like to recommend, please share your story and feel free to ask any questions!

MemberMember
(@mm1990)

Posted : 02/14/2014 2:15 pm

I'm so glad you found something! It is such a great feeling when you finally find a product that works. I wasn't quite as lucky though. It was a bit too heavy and any product with a lot of silicone clogs the hell out of my pores.

For me, Makeup Forever's Face and Body foundation has been a godsend. They actually have a shade that's light enough for my vampiric skin, so that alone is a miracle. Shade selection aside, I love the formula. It's water based so it feels really light, but the coverage is easily buildable. Plus it is the only foundation I've tried that doesn't break me out. I love it.

MemberMember
(@ukdreamin)

Posted : 02/15/2014 12:08 am

+1 for Make Up For Ever! My holy grail <3

MemberMember
(@airlie)

Posted : 02/15/2014 10:09 am

I'll have to try the foundation you both use! I am always excited to hear what other products that people use. Do you have to use concealer as well to get a better cover or is the foundation enough? What are you both using on your skin at the moment as skin care? I'm currently using the regimen so my skin is quite dry all the time which sucks. Thank god for good makeup though!

MemberMember
(@dunedain)

Posted : 02/15/2014 10:26 am

Another +1 for Make Up For Ever!! I use the HD primer and foundation - I've heard they're not good for your skin but honestly I've been using it for so many years and I've never had problems with it. My skin would be better if I didn't wear any make up..that's a given, but MUFE doesn't break me out, and I've had nights where I sleep in makeup and my skin still looks ok in the morning.

I personally haven't tried the MUFE concealer because they have a liquid one and I prefer stick concealer. I use the Smashbox camera-ready concealer which is ok...it does the job but if you have a big zit it won't cover it. Also it can get kind of cakey if you put too much on. When I constantly dab at one area of my skin that I'm trying to cover when I'm touching up my makeup, I do tend to get a pimple there so it's not the greatest. I'm still trying to find a concealer that's not super expensive and has long lasting, good coverage :(.

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/15/2014 10:35 am

When my skin was bad, I was using a South Korean BB Cream from Holika Holika that was the bee's knees. Now that it's good, I go either commando or with a swipe of neutrogena healthy skin enhancer that is a very sheer tint with SPF, which is also great stuff.

I still use the BB cream once in a while as a coverup for a post-junk-food spot, but that happens rarely now. It's very potent stuff, though. I highly recommend it since it is really full-coverage, but still looks dewy and natural. It never gave me new spots.

On stick and "pot" concealers: I am convinced that they harbor bacteria. When my skin started to clear, I was always getting new spots where I had used a stick or pot concealer. I don't think they are very sanitary (pots are basically petri dishes), so I now only use concealer from a tube if I need it, and make sure to thoroughly clean my tools and hands before and afterwards. My skin looks good, but I'm still very paranoid. If you're getting new spots in the same places where you use concealer a lot, you might want to look into it. It's a tough cycle to get out of.

MemberMember
(@mm1990)

Posted : 02/15/2014 11:25 pm

Thank god for good makeup is right! I feel so relieved to have found something I like.

With MUFE's Face and Body Foundation, I do still use a bit of concealer. It probably isn't necessary since I can build up to pretty nice coverage, but I just prefer the look of light foundation with a bit of concealer to layers and layers of foundation. I use Physician's Formula Conceal Rx. By some miracle, it doesn't break me out, even with the presence of silicones. I don't have to touch up throughout the day and it is light enough for me. Win!

I recently changed up my routine and I am so happy I did. My skin is now clear except for a couple of stubborn clogged pores and remaining red marks.

Morning:

-no face wash -- just water in the shower

-Olay Sensitive Skin SPF 30 moisturizer/sunscreen

-MUFE Face and Body Foundation + PF concealer

-various eye/lip products depending on my mood :)

Night:

-remove makeup with baby oil

-wash face with Olay daily facial cloth for normal skin (the kind that needs water added)

-tone with Stridex red box pads

-apply Garden of Wisdom 5% mandelic acid serum no seaweed/no alcohol (this is the new product in my routine and wow, what a difference. No new breakouts!)

-after twenty minutes, apply baby oil with a little water

-finish with Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA cream

My skin is like a rebellious teenager from the 70s...it likes acid! I also drink 2-4 cups of green tea a day and take cod liver oil (the only non-vegetarian part of my diet), zinc and vitamin D. This combination has been wonderful for me.

MemberMember
(@ukdreamin)

Posted : 02/16/2014 1:19 am

Just to clarify, I use MUFE Mat velvet + foundation as my skin is quite oily. This keeps my face nice and mat for the majority of the day. I very very rarely need concealer if I use this foundation, I do however set with MAC's studio fix powder lightly just to even out my skin. If I have a huge under the skin zit, I use either MUFE full coverage concealer or MAC's studio finish concealer (they're both AMAZING at covering those types of zits!!!) and once again set with the powder. I am also currently using the regimen (finished week 2 and just starting a full finger's length of BP day and night) and am hardly experiencing flakiness thanks to Cerave's moisturizer (the one in the pot)