Notifications
Clear all

Incredibly Fed Up With Dormant Cyst

MemberMember
(@minaaa)

Posted : 01/31/2014 12:36 pm

Long story short, I had a cyst a few years ago which I picked at and ever since there's just been this sort of long bump under my skin (probably 3 cm long and 1 cm wide) and the skin over it is quite pink/red and has quite big pores. It can easily be concealed by make up but to be quite frank, I'm sick of having to use it, and it is still kind of noticeable.

The first response I usually get for this is to go to see my derm. eusa_wall.gif

The thing is, I live in the UK and it's ridiculously difficult to get referred to one, the waiting time can be at least 44 days and the doctor will only refer you if they think your problem is bad enough (the rest of my skin is pretty okay, so the likelihood of them taking me seriously is relatively low).

So I'm wondering, before I do embark on the hassle of forcing my doctor to refer me, if any of you have had troubles with a dormant cyst? And if so, is there anything you did to get rid of it?

(It's just decided to form a proper active cyst again yesterday, something it does like every few months or so cheer.gif ).

(I'm crying inside).

MemberMember
(@apple-blossom)

Posted : 01/31/2014 3:57 pm

Do you mean it would be up to 44 days before you could see a derm after getting the referral? If that's what you mean, that sounds like a pretty short wait (I waited 6 months)... especially if you've had this thing for a few years. A month and a half seems like a drop in the bucket. I've only had one cortisone shot and it was for a sebaceous cyst, but many people on this forum swear by them for active and dormant acne cysts.

Sadly, I don't know of any other solutions to a dormant cyst and I have one myself. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any tips..

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/31/2014 4:06 pm

Unfortunately, cortisone shots only work for the actively inflamed cysts - they won't do much for dormant ones. If you have more active cysts developing, why not get the ball rolling on the dermatology appointment? If you've had the cyst for two years and you are developing new ones, 44 days doesn't seem like the longest time to wait.

MemberMember
(@minaaa)

Posted : 01/31/2014 4:39 pm

Do you mean it would be up to 44 days before you could see a derm after getting the referral? If that's what you mean, that sounds like a pretty short wait (I waited 6 months)... especially if you've had this thing for a few years. A month and a half seems like a drop in the bucket. I've only had one cortisone shot and it was for a sebaceous cyst, but many people on this forum swear by them for active and dormant acne cysts.

Sadly, I don't know of any other solutions to a dormant cyst and I have one myself. I'm interested in seeing if anyone has any tips..

Well, it says at LEAST 44 days but I'm assuming that's for the most urgent cases and according to my GP, mine isn't bad enough..but yeah I guess I am being a little impatient :P Also, dermatologists in the UK rarely if ever administer cortisone shots for reasons unbeknownst to me..

Unfortunately, cortisone shots only work for the actively inflamed cysts - they won't do much for dormant ones. If you have more active cysts developing, why not get the ball rolling on the dermatology appointment? If you've had the cyst for two years and you are developing new ones, 44 days doesn't seem like the longest time to wait.

That is good point :) any idea of anything I could do to prevent cysts in the meantime? I've heard AHA is quite good for them

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/31/2014 5:50 pm

Here's a quick fix. Grind Aspirin into a fine powder and add it to DMSO, which you can find either at your local health supplement store or, if not, online: https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3132425772650789569?q=dmso&rlz=1C1CHMO_enUS570&espv=210&es_sm=93&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.60444564,d.aGc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.GDFJ-w8tMYk.O&biw=1032&bih=679&dpr=1&tch=1&ech=1&psi=vALsUsS6IqSUiAeu-IGADQ.1391198915811.3&sa=X&ei=xALsUoOZAoubkwXzyIGoBg&ved=0CMYBEPMCMAY

Apply every 2-3 hours until the zit is zapped.

MemberMember
(@minaaa)

Posted : 01/31/2014 6:16 pm

I've heard about the aspirin thing, not too sure about the DMSO as it sounds quite...powerful? I suppose...and as I live in the UK it would take ages to get here anyway, plus shipment costs and such eusa_think.gif

But thanks, I'll probably try the aspirin :)

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 02/03/2014 12:17 pm

Well, it says at LEAST 44 days but I'm assuming that's for the most urgent cases and according to my GP, mine isn't bad enough..but yeah I guess I am being a little impatient tongue.png Also, dermatologists in the UK rarely if ever administer cortisone shots for reasons unbeknownst to me..

>Unfortunately, cortisone shots only work for the actively inflamed cysts - they won't do much for dormant ones. If you have more active cysts developing, why not get the ball rolling on the dermatology appointment? If you've had the cyst for two years and you are developing new ones, 44 days doesn't seem like the longest time to wait.

That is good point smile.png any idea of anything I could do to prevent cysts in the meantime? I've heard AHA is quite good for them

Topicals don't really work on active or dormant cysts (especially dormant ones) because the infection is in the deepest layers of the skin, where most topicals cannot penetrate. Unfortunately for me, It seems that if a cyst wants to form, it will form. Most of mine just seem random and unpredictable. However, one thing I have noticed - picking at clogged pores (like blackheads or whiteheads) will sometimes (not always) lead to that clog becoming inflamed and then cystic. I havne't gotten a "new" cyst in a long time by avoiding scratching or touching inflamed pores. AHA might help to prevent pores from becoming clogged in the first place, so it could be helpful. Unfortunately, the ones that form on my skin never quite go away, they just go through cycles of inflammation / dormacy about once a month. I'm on isotretinoin to address that problem now.

I have read some people have had success with antihistamines and anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen in reducing the inflammation that aggravates cystic acne. Hot compresses also help with inflammation and pain.

MemberMember
(@minaaa)

Posted : 02/03/2014 2:58 pm

Well, it says at LEAST 44 days but I'm assuming that's for the most urgent cases and according to my GP, mine isn't bad enough..but yeah I guess I am being a little impatient tongue.png Also, dermatologists in the UK rarely if ever administer cortisone shots for reasons unbeknownst to me..

>Unfortunately, cortisone shots only work for the actively inflamed cysts - they won't do much for dormant ones. If you have more active cysts developing, why not get the ball rolling on the dermatology appointment? If you've had the cyst for two years and you are developing new ones, 44 days doesn't seem like the longest time to wait.

That is good point smile.png any idea of anything I could do to prevent cysts in the meantime? I've heard AHA is quite good for them

Topicals don't really work on active or dormant cysts (especially dormant ones) because the infection is in the deepest layers of the skin, where most topicals cannot penetrate. Unfortunately for me, It seems that if a cyst wants to form, it will form. Most of mine just seem random and unpredictable. However, one thing I have noticed - picking at clogged pores (like blackheads or whiteheads) will sometimes (not always) lead to that clog becoming inflamed and then cystic. I havne't gotten a "new" cyst in a long time by avoiding scratching or touching inflamed pores. AHA might help to prevent pores from becoming clogged in the first place, so it could be helpful. Unfortunately, the ones that form on my skin never quite go away, they just go through cycles of inflammation / dormacy about once a month. I'm on isotretinoin to address that problem now.

I have read some people have had success with antihistamines and anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen in reducing the inflammation that aggravates cystic acne. Hot compresses also help with inflammation and pain.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, they're really useful :D