Notifications
Clear all

Help? 🙁

MemberMember
(@ihateacne1234567)

Posted : 12/30/2013 4:07 pm

hi how's it going everybody

i've been visiting this site for quite some time now, ever since my acne started getting really really bad about a year ago, and it's extremely helpful to know that other people feel the same way i do.

ive never made a post but i figured id start with this one because everyone seems to give great advice on here

im an 18 year old male, i travel year round and i rarely stay in the same place for more than a week or so. so it is very hard to get in appointments with dermatologists / change up what im doing because everything is so on the fly.

ive had acne for about 3 years, been on and off every antibiotic, doxycycline for months, solodyn for months, bactrim for months, minocycline for months, recently when i've gone on these antibiotics (doxy and bactrim to be specific) i've broken out in hives and gotten extremely sick.

tried every face wash, proactiv, murad, epiduo, aczone, even tried just going back to the basics of just warm water and soap, and a clean diet of only drinking water and eating healthy foods.

ive done chemical peels, and microdermabrasions which have helped a bit. recently i've been undergoing the sciton laser treatment and microdermabrasion every other week, but thats only limited for the short amount of time im home for... on top of that i am washing with 10% glycolic acid that the place has prescribed to me. and i am taking zinc pills, vitamin d pills, and multivitamin pills as i read Dan said thats what he used. and i am still maintaining as healthy of a diet as i can, im in good shape and eat relatively healthy, but i am still a teenager and traveling so it is kinda hard.

my recent treatment has worked ok, but i have very fair skin, i have scars all up and down my face (fading, but fading very slowly) and deep cystic acne. recently its gotten insanely bad and my confidence has shot down so incredibly low, it sucks sad.png i rarely want to leave my house but im forced to, and im in pictures and videos day in and day out, and its extremely hard, basically after seeing 5 or 6 different dermatologists and multiple facial places, as well as all my friends my age (who dont have a spot on their face but dont even wash their face with warm water) and everyone telling me something different, i have no idea what to do so i came here... i hope this post makes any kind of sense

is accutane the only way for me? im hoping i will just grow out of it but its something i need to control now, especially because its getting worse and worse and spreading more and more every day. im worried about accutane because of how the way lighter antibiotics have affected me as well.

anyways i hope you guys can help!

thanks so much for reading this whole thing... haha

MemberMember
(@bonsai77)

Posted : 12/31/2013 11:47 am

Do you still have active acne?

Also the 'acne scars' you talked about, so you mean the hyper-pigmentation (redness) that lingers after a while? They aren't scars and they will go with time and a bit of help.

MemberMember
(@themastapeanut)

Posted : 01/02/2014 9:05 pm

Isotretinoin isn't your only option. I recommend saw palmetto extract if your acne is hormonal. It needs to be a standardized form, consisting of 85% to 95% fatty acids. GNC and Target carry it as far as I know. Even if your acne isn't hormonal, I would still advise finding another solution other than isotretinoin.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@ihateacne1234567)

Posted : 01/28/2014 9:22 pm

hey so ive been on saw palmetto for a week, havent noticed an improvement but im hopeful! is there anything else that you would recommend doing??