Notifications
Clear all

Acne Severity And Advice Please

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 10/06/2013 10:46 am

Here are pictures of my face, my acne is mainly around my mouth/chin. I am on week 4 of Dianette but so far my skin is worse. I have 3 questions:

Would you say my acne is mild moderate or severe?

Also do you think Dianette might work in the long run and am I a good candidate for Accutane?

Thankspost-214387-0-30984700-1381074261_thumb.post-214387-0-98330300-1381074297_thumb.

No idea why the pics are upside down, sorry guys

post-214387-0-30984700-1381074261_thumb.

post-214387-0-98330300-1381074297_thumb.

MemberMember
(@ktlouise)

Posted : 10/06/2013 11:36 am

It will take time to work, maybe another two months or more - your skin is probably purging at the moment. But your acne is really mild, I don't even know if it could be classed as acne. I don't know too much about Dianette but I would think your severity would have to be higher for you to go on Roaccutane, having said that if it is very persistent and you've exhausted a lot of other options there is a chance it could help you. Good luck anyway :)

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/06/2013 3:43 pm

It is very mild.

You are not a candidate for Accutane.

Dianette is very effective for many, but it will take 3-6 months to see results.

MemberMember
(@anthony22)

Posted : 10/06/2013 4:26 pm

Your acne is mild judging from the photos and It is unlikely that you would be considered for Acctuane, well at least not right away. The dermatologist would look to see if you have gone though all the different types of topicals (Differin, Duac epiduo) and antibiotics (Tetracyline, Oxytetractline) etc. If your skin still hasn't seen an improvement then there could be a chance your dermatologist would prescribe it you.

I don't know much about Dianette, but I hope it works out for you.

MemberMember
(@afrothunder)

Posted : 10/06/2013 7:15 pm

Hi

17 year old with acne

Had acne since i was about 13 14

Tried tons of perscription currently on isotrexin and azelaic acid(skinoren)

Personally i think its CRAP

Been on isotrxin sine may and skinoren since start of august

I just think its try to keep the skin smooth

But i still breakout and no matter wat i do it keeps coming

I get cysts rarley but i definetly get pustules like every two weeks

Noticed recently

I got some deep blackheads on my cheeks & nose and some on my chin and hairline

I dont wanna wait it out any longer i want this acne to die.....nowwww!

Longstory short i wanna jump on accutane but would jus like opinions on the matter...ASAP

post-354423-0-48272700-1381104878_thumb.

post-354423-0-22622400-1381104899_thumb.

post-354423-0-48272700-1381104878_thumb.

post-354423-0-22622400-1381104899_thumb.

MemberMember
(@xdevochkax)

Posted : 10/06/2013 9:06 pm

Hi

17 year old with acne

Noticed recently

Longstory short i wanna jump on accutane but would jus like opinions on the matter...ASAP

A good, reputable doctor will only prescribe you Accutane as a last resort.

If you've only been on your current meds for 2 months, that's not enough time to really know if it's working, and from how you're describing your skin what with only breaking out every couple of weeks and not having any cysts, it seems like it's starting to have some effect.

You need to realize the possible severe side effects off Accutane. It's not something to take lightly.

You have to be on 2 forms of BC and have blood tests taken every month.

At best you'll have your skin, lips and eyes feel like a desert and flake everywhere, at worst is the rare affect of suicidal thoughts.

As for me personally, 1 and half months into it and I almost paralyzed my back. I stopped taking it immediately and luckily I didn't suffer any permanent damage.

So "jumping on Accutane" seems like you need more education it this. It can be dangerous.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/07/2013 1:19 am

Hi

17 year old with acne

Noticed recently

Isotrexin will take a long time to work. Sometimes up to 6 months. But when it works, it's usually worth the wait.

Accutane is dangerous. It's a cancer chemotherapy designed to kill fast-dividing cells, which include things like hair follicles and stem cells. I would not recommend it except as an absolute last resort.

Here are pictures of my face, my acne is mainly around my mouth/chin. I am on week 4 of Dianette but so far my skin is worse. I have 3 questions:

Would you say my acne is mild moderate or severe?

Also do you think Dianette might work in the long run and am I a good candidate for Accutane?

Thanksattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

No idea why the pics are upside down, sorry guys

Your acne is very mild. I see mostly just a bit of redness, and hardly any active lesions. I'm not even sure it's acne at all.

Dianette does not seem like the right treatment for you. It would more likely work for cystic acne, which you don't appear to have. Dianette is prescribed for women with PCOS/hirsutism/severe (cystic) acne. Not sure what your derm was thinking, unless you have PCOS or hirsutism in addition to this acne problem.

I would first recommend that you cease using any products in or around the affected area. It looks like it could be a sensitivity reaction to lip balm or toothpaste, or maybe another product you might use in that area. I would stop using your toothpaste and buy a natural alternative without fluoride. If the problem does not get better or resolve within a week, I would then recommend a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide gel applied to the affected area only, 1-2 times per day after washing with a mild cleanser. Lesions that are already there might initially turn into pustules, but this is normal and will pass. The reason I recommend trying this only after you rule out things like toothpaste is because benzoyl peroxide can sometimes cause perioral dermatitis, a condition similar to what you seem to have.

You don't seem like you need accutane. Accutane can have devastating side effects, and is usually reserved for people with severe acne (hundreds of lesions all over their face). There are other options you might want to pursue before considering accutane.

MemberMember
(@afrothunder)

Posted : 10/07/2013 4:17 am

Im aware of the side affects

But everyones different? so im just looking to roll my dice and give it a shot, i hade acne for 3 years now and i dont intend to try out drugs whether they work or not... If you see where im coming from

Before acne my life was good now its here its a confidence crusher and im not one of those people who get cussed about my skin keep my head down(i kick ass :P)

But i dont like fighting people and most of all my face

And ive been doin research on isotrexin and skinoren i dont think it really does anythink for blackheads and its not really doing the greatest job on clearing the acne i have on my face now... Only i can tell wen somethings working for me or not right?...

MemberMember
(@frenchie86)

Posted : 10/07/2013 7:25 am

I do have mild facial hirsutism. I had a scan a week ago to determine if I have PCOS or not (waiting for results). I haven't seen a dermatologist yet, Dianette was prescribed to me by my GP. I use Differin each night and also take Doxycycline but my acne hasn't improved, I get new spots daily.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 10/08/2013 4:56 pm

I don't see any acne, mostly redness and a few red marks, so I don't think you need something as extreme as accutane or even diane. How did your dermatologist classify your skin issue? Honestly, I wouldn't even call it acne...maybe mild rosacea if even that, or more accurately redness and a bit of irritation. There is some congestion on your chin, but that can easily be fixed with extractions, steaming, and exfoliating (preferably by a qualified asthetician). Are you using topicals on your chin?

My chin and the area around my mouth used to be irritated like yours, but now I switched my toothpaste and mouthwash and the redness is gone. Maybe it's an allergy/ sensitivity to your toothpaste or mouthwash?