Notifications
Clear all

I Need Serious Help! I'm In A Predicament.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:54 pm

I've been just washing my face with water since 2 months now.And this simplistic approach to skincare has served me well.I hardly get acne now.But there's a grave problem which is causing me to breakout.Since i just wash my face with water dead-skin accumulates on my face.So much so that today when i was working out and sweating i could see white trails on my face.I looked like a ghost with a white face.It looked as if i had applied white makeup on my face which was getting washed off because of sweat.Additionally this dead-skin causes my skin to become all itchy and then i end up scratching my face which causes acne.

So the question is how should i exfoliate? I don't want to use any chemical abrasive on my face.As i'm 100% sure it will make me breakout .Please help! sad.png

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:05 pm

1stly,ur 1st few sentences are contradictory.

u say its serving u well.and then u said 'something' is making ur breakout.

the rest of ur post shows a different picture - thats its not a good idea anyway.

i can give u my take on cavemen regimen.(urs in modified caveman regimen).

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:33 pm

1stly,ur 1st few sentences are contradictory.

u say its serving u well.and then u said 'something' is making ur breakout.

the rest of ur post shows a different picture - thats its not a good idea anyway.

i can give u my take on cavemen regimen.(urs in modified caveman regimen). http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blog/6942/entry-26424-my-take-on-caveman-regimentopical/

Well aana it serves me well.What i mean is if i find a harmless way to exfoliate,i'll be in bliss!

MemberMember
(@celestialelf)

Posted : 06/08/2013 1:50 pm

a gentle sugar scrub with honey and/or olive oil would be a good idea. :)

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 06/08/2013 2:22 pm

Anything that lowers the pH of the water will help remove the dead skin cells you mentioned.

For example, you could add a very small amount of citric acid to water, which was originally a nature-made product but is now made as a synthetic. 8 ounces costs about $8. Citric acid is very acidic and completely soluble in water. A 0.1% solution would probably be about right, because we want to make a product that has a ph of about 5.5, which is the normal pH of skin.

The tricky part of citric acid is that you have to be able to measure very very small quantities. For example, let's say you want to make 300 ml of water wash with 0.1% citric acid. That's only 0.3 grams of citric acid, which is so tiny it's hard to weigh accurately.

So find a cap from a bicycle inner tube, and measure the volume of the cap when filled with water, using a 1ml plastic syringe that a pharmacist at CVS will give you for free. The inner tube cap I use contained 0.2ml of water, but you will have to measue yours. Water has a density of 1, and the density of citric acid is 1.66 grams/liter. So when the cap that I use is full of citric acid, it holds 0.3 grams of citric acid.

MemberMember
(@ruweyda)

Posted : 06/08/2013 3:28 pm

mix oats with water and use it as a face wash in the morning and before going to bed its very gentle on the face and it takes all dead skin off yur face

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/08/2013 3:58 pm

Anything that lowers the pH of the water will help remove the dead skin cells you mentioned.

For example, you could add a very small amount of citric acid to water, which was originally a nature-made product but is now made as a synthetic. 8 ounces costs about $8. Citric acid is very acidic and completely soluble in water. A 0.1% solution would probably be about right, because we want to make a product that has a ph of about 5.5, which is the normal pH of skin.

The tricky part of citric acid is that you have to be able to measure very very small quantities. For example, let's say you want to make 300 ml of water wash with 0.1% citric acid. That's only 0.3 grams of citric acid, which is so tiny it's hard to weigh accurately.

So find a cap from a bicycle inner tube, and measure the volume of the cap when filled with water, using a 1ml plastic syringe that a pharmacist at CVS will give you for free. The inner tube cap I use contained 0.2ml of water, but you will have to measue yours. Water has a density of 1, and the density of citric acid is 1.66 grams/liter. So when the cap that I use is full of citric acid, it holds 0.3 grams of citric acid.

Sorry i don't have pipettes,burettes and bunsen burners.My house is not a chemistry lab LOL

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/09/2013 10:09 am

i would suggest a mild SA wash.

but since i know u wont take up this path!!

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/09/2013 10:28 am

i would suggest a mild SA wash.

but since i know u wont take up this path!!

haha you know me pretty well ;) No i won't hahahahaha

MemberMember
(@akko)

Posted : 06/09/2013 11:30 am

The baby brush method is my favorite way of exfoliating manually. All you need is a cheap baby hair brush with soft flat bristles like this one:

http://shopping.indiatimes.com/baby-toys/baby-furniture/rikang-baby-hair-brush-and-comb-set-white/42511/p_B1682340

Just rub it on your face gently in circular motions for one minute or less, and you're done! I find it super gentle. You can clean the brush with rubbing alcohol if you want to disinfect it between scrubs.