Notifications
Clear all

I Have Breast Lumps - Can I Take Birth Control Pills For Acne?

MemberMember
(@gatorademe)

Posted : 06/08/2013 11:29 am

Hello smile.png

So a few months back I discovered a breast lump. Went to 3 check-ups so far (ultrasounds etc), apparently it's a fibroadenoma 1 cm aprox. It is benign, cannot develop into breast cancer (or so the doctors have told me). They also found one more breast lump, very very small. Both noncancerous.

I have had severe acne since I was 12, for 6 years.

Needless to say I have tried everything - creams, antibiotics, diet. It seems to be hormonal (breakout at around the same time each month).

I want to give birth control pills a try (only take them for acne). However I don't know what effect they will have on the two breast lumps. I am currently taking homeopathic treatment for them. The homeopathic doctor I went to was not very fond of the idea of taking bc (she didn't prohibit it or anything, just said she doesn't think it's a good idea). However my gyno strongly recommended I do start taking them after the check-up, even prescribed me a brand.

If you have any information on this or any experience at all or even an opinion please take a minute to reply.

Thank you for reading smile.png

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:20 pm

What brand of birth control were you prescribed?

Since you are seeing a homeopath, can't she give you a homeopathic treatment for acne? I have had success before with homeopathic treatments and diet modifications - it takes longer, but if you are persistent you will see results.

Birth control is only a short term solution. Once you are off it, your hormones will not be able to function without the synthetic boost and the acne will return. So far, the majority of women who go off birth control report an increase in acne. And you cannot be on birth control for the rest of your life. In my case, the acne came back every time I went off birth control with a vengeance, and on top of that my metabolism became messed up and I couldn't lose weight. It took a homeopathic treatment to get my body back to normal.

MemberMember
(@gatorademe)

Posted : 06/08/2013 12:54 pm

What brand of birth control were you prescribed?

Since you are seeing a homeopath, can't she give you a homeopathic treatment for acne? I have had success before with homeopathic treatments and diet modifications - it takes longer, but if you are persistent you will see results.

Birth control is only a short term solution. Once you are off it, your hormones will not be able to function without the synthetic boost and the acne will return. So far, the majority of women who go off birth control report an increase in acne. And you cannot be on birth control for the rest of your life. In my case, the acne came back every time I went off birth control with a vengeance, and on top of that my metabolism became messed up and I couldn't lose weight. It took a homeopathic treatment to get my body back to normal.

Thank you for replying smile.png

She gave me Marvelon but not specifically for acne (mostly for irregular periods, really bad PMS etc).

I have thought about a homeopathic approach, but I'm not sure. I have tried diet changes for my acne too but without results and I have been on homeopathic treatment for the breast lump for 2 months now and so far there has been no change in size at all. They have helped with my other hormonal problems however, without having any effect on my acne.

About the pill, I noticed that although it works wonders for a lot of people, when they go off it the outcome is really bad for most and not only acne-wise. I am still undecided about taking them because I know what the wise decision would be but they do seem like my best chance against acne to me.

The main reason I thought twice about it is the effect the pill might or might not have on the breast lump. And that will be a problem anyway if I would want to use it as an actual birth control method. I know pills can cause breast lumps, but I have no idea what happens when you already have them and you go on the pill. I have thought about taking the pill for a period of time in the hope of improving my acne and then weaning off it, maybe going on a homeopathic treatment after.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/08/2013 4:35 pm

I was warned about breast lumps and ovarian cysts when I started taking birth control. I'm not familiar with marvelon, but you could read the warning label and see it that is a high risk. Homeopathic treatments can sometimes take longer than birth control to fully kick in, but in my case it was worth it because my periods became regular again without the help of the pill, and my metabolism got faster and I went down to my normal weight. I think just read the side effects of marvelon and then decide if you are willing to take the chance. Or even go to a different gynecologist and get a second opinion. Usually though for acne doctors have a very limited and standardized range of treatments, unless you go to a homeopath or acupuncturist, so they'll either suggest birth control, antibiotics, or accutane....it's a pretty limited spectrum of treatments and I was often made to feel as though there were no other options until I started doing my own research and trying alternative medicine to find out other things that were off balance besides hormones.