Notifications
Clear all

Picking Acne

MemberMember
(@lilcupcake)

Posted : 06/01/2013 4:42 pm

Hello, newbie to this site. I'm currently finishing month 3 of Accutane. I have come to realize that most of my acne is due to me picking at any little blemish but I can not seem to stop! Just a few days ago I had only 2 healing pimples. Last night I spent too much time in front of the mirror and now my face is a war zone. It's bad enough i had my doctor prescribe me a 5 day course of prednisone to heal the inflammation I caused. Ahhh, what did i pick? I was looking great up until then :(

Anyone else struggle with this and what do you do to avoid picking? For me i cut my nails short and placed a piece of masking tape on the floor that i have to stand in or behind while in the bathroom so i don't get close up in the mirror! I'm also going to set a timer when i wash my face, 3 minutes total. 2 minutes for washing and drying my face then 1 to apply my moisturizer/typical. Any suggestions or others that can relate would be great!

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 06/05/2013 4:04 am

Hey, I struggle with picking my skin too, my acne is probably quite mild but at times I turn it into moderate. I know the thing that helps me is staying away from mirrors (easier said than done!)...the timer thing is good too, it's worked for some people on here if you are disciplined enough to get out of the room when it goes off. another suggestion someone has made on here is doing some sit-ups or press-ups when you feel the urge to pick as a distraction/ anxiety relief? Apart from that all I can suggest is a website called stoppickingonme.com that gives quite a lot of advice, but then there is always a lot of support on this site too :)

MemberMember
(@oilygirl1980)

Posted : 06/05/2013 5:37 am

Im 33 and i still do a bit of face picking. :( its terrible. For me, it took years of discipline and better judgment on which ones to mess with. I wish i could say ill never do it again but when i have a huge mountain on my face that i know will go down if i extract, i cant stop myself.

But for all the ones that i KNOW wont get better and will worse if i mess with them, i just quickly finish my routine and go to bed. The next day i always feel better that i didnt touch it and sometimes, ill wake up and the one in question is gone.

For me, the main way i stop myself is thinking of all the acne marks and scars that took months, sometimes over a year to go away. I got lucky and most of them ended up healing but the "what if" it doesnt heal and im left looking at the same scar when im 40 is what keeps me from tearing up my face.

I wish i had more advice but the only thing i can say is think of the damage you are causing in the long run. Watching my mom and aunt regret their tanning days made me very aware of using sunscreen on my face since i was 20. And now i have no sun damage or crows feet. Watching my sister never wash her makeup off at night caused her to have irreversible pore damage and because of that, my pores are nice and clean when i go to bed every single night and i have no stale makeup seeping deep into my skin. The women in my family are all beautiful but its heartbreaking to know that they dont feel that way when they look into the mirror because they know they made poor choices that they cant take back.

The timer is a good idea. I hope you find a solution that works for you! Youre not alone!! :)

MemberMember
(@xesro)

Posted : 06/05/2013 8:26 am

I used to pick my acne when I first started to get them, I was around 14 years old and now at 19 I still have some scarring left from them.

I just imagine the results after picking a pimple and makes me think " This isn't worth it ! "

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/06/2013 1:24 pm

I have recently realized something.And that realization is cold,candid and brutal.If i pick my skin i get acne.No picking =no acne! As straight forward as that.And yet i somehow end up picking here and there (particularly when i'm sweating and it itches).And then it's all gloom and doom.But i'm trying my best to keep my little devil fingers away from my face.

MemberMember
(@lilcupcake)

Posted : 06/25/2013 1:40 pm

Ok, I disappeared for awhile. I appreciate everyone's replies. I was looking great after I got through that incident only to have one day and bam! Right back to where i was. I don't know why i can go weeks then have one day i just go crazy on my face. I can say that it's taking a toll on myself esteem and I'm not as outgoing as i normally am. I'm usually I'm trouble for talking too much lol. Anyone want to do a no picking challenge with me?