Notifications
Clear all

Thinking Of Trying Proactiv Plus.

MemberMember
(@stage1)

Posted : 03/12/2014 7:15 am

There are a lot of members with only 1 post in here talking about how great it is.

Not sure I quite believe it.

MemberMember
(@bidbod)

Posted : 03/12/2014 9:57 pm

First, a little bit about me. I am 42 years old and have had acne since about 17 years old. I have very oily skin with mild form of acne with few black and white heads that are usually almost invisible. My biggest problem is the occasional cystic acne (once every few months) that usually becomes very inflamed and painful that stays for days and sometime weeks.

Now about Proactiv +. I ordered it several months ago. Initially, for the first 2 months, I followed strictly the recommendations of using the treatments every morning and evening. My skin felt very nice with no burning, stinging, or increased redness (I actually never had such problems). However, after I started the treatments I started getting more and more white heads and cystic acne especially on and around my nose and also in areas where I never had before - my cheeks. So, after about two months of using it with no improvement (actually getting worse) I decided that it is enough trying and called customer service to return the product and get my money back. The lady on the phone said that getting more acne was actually expected and that after about 8 weeks I should experience significant decrease so she convinced me to continue since I was at about 8 weeks into the treatment. I continued for few more weeks but there was no change I continued getting more pimples than I usually get without any treatment. I also decided to reduce the treatments and apply them only at night, which made things a little bit better but still worse compared to no treatment at all. So finally I stopped and called to ask for my money. To no surprise I was told that the 60 days have passed and they will not return my money very disappointed! On top of everything they managed to send me one 30 day supply and two 90 days supply in the first month and I dont think I ordered all of them. I am very disappointed with their business practices their online account is not very helpful to figure out what was purchased and what was not. At some point they even told me that I had two accounts?!?! Be careful if you're thinking of ordering because they'll send you items you never ordered.

In summary, Proactiv + was not helpful and actually made things worse. The only product that I found somewhat helpful was the bonus product - the Skin Purifying Mask (Sulfur 6%). I noticed that if you apply it generously on the spot at the moment you start feeling that the deep cystic pimple is about to show up it makes it go away. However, this worked for about 70% of the cases only.

What works for me is the diet. Avoiding the starchy carbs and regular exercise makes the acne go away. The only problem is to make this change for lifetime which is not easy.

MemberMember
(@j0219)

Posted : 03/13/2014 3:22 am

I used Proactiv as a teenager, it worked for a few months, but having combination skin and trying every Rx possible (other than accutane) my skin reverted back to it's not so fun state.

I decided to look at the site tonight and see what I could learn about the + line. The chat rep gave me canned responses (I was requesting information about the use of Salicylic Acid and if the moisturizer was able to get me through the day with a matte vs 13 yr old greasy girl look at age 29). I was disappointed and went looking for real reviews - This is the first time I've used a forum for my complexion issues - my mother is 49 and took accutane and had chemotherapy for cancer - which kills everything, right? She still has acne .. at this point I'm feeling semi hopeless for seeing a day without a skin issue. And I think a lot of you feel that way as well.

I wanted to share the only period in my life that I did not experience a breakout or congestion in my pores and went without make up for over a year.

There is a clay mask made by Gunilla of Sweden called Lerosett - it's the only thing that has ever worked for me. I used it every few days as directed (the instructions say to taper off after the first few weeks), with the face wash and lotion at first, but eventually I moved on to Neutrogena's creamy acne scrub because it has SA in it and I think it's essential to removing congestion and not over drying.

But the mask; it was mind blowing. I went from 5-10 new pimples, and severe congestion in my pores plus the ridiculous deep hormone cysts on my jaw line daily/weekly, to nothing.

My only reason for not having it now - and looking at other products - is because I live in the frozen tundra of MN and my last two orders were frozen on delivery - rendering the product useless after the particles freeze, separate and fail to adhere again, (basically it's a tube of water and mud, and the water comes out first and the mud is a pain. I'm no scientist - but it's not effective once this happens).

Amazon sells it for around $30 a tube an it goes a long way. The company sells on the web too, and I think there are a number of spas that carry it - my mom told me recently that the powder form is available for around $100 and you mix it at home. I haven't found it - it may be a different company with the same ingredients. I will ask and post if anyone is interested.

I just wanted to share, I spent from 11 to 27 being mortified and insecure until my mother found this for me.

A tube lasts around 2-3 months if you use it sparingly (which is advised) and it's far cheaper, no additional charges in another month and more self confidence than you could imagine when it starts to work (it made a huge difference in redness, skin congestion, pore size and breakouts within a week and a half).

OH! - the matte moisturizer is to die for - used it a few times when I got the mask originally - but just went back to it an I was an idiot to stop. I didn't like the face wash though, it left my skin silky, but never felt clean - I'm sure it's a side effect of using harsh scrubs for most of my life. I'd love to hear if anyone else has rave reviews on face wash.

If I recall the company has a guarantee as well. Not sure if it holds up when purchased through other distributors. Regardless, it's the bees knees and I'm going to order more now because I do believe the temp will remain above freezing! (one more polar vortex and I'm finding a raft to float on in the Caribbean, I'll take a shark and peril over this winter)

MemberMember
(@greggaravani)

Posted : 03/21/2014 4:37 am

I'd hold off on the ProActiv and instead try to get to the root of your acne problem.

Find out what's causing it in your case...and go from there.

ProActiv is a very short term solution. Their products temporarily relieve acne, but also cause acne. It's how they make money. If you no longer had acne, they'd no longer have your money. They send you a kit every month, which in theory, should be unnecessary.

Again, I'd try to get to the root of your acne problem before buying any products which are just putting a temporary blanket of sorts over the real, bigger issue.

What's your diet like? What do you eat? Do you exercise?

Actually acne occurs when an individual cannot shed off dead skin quickly or as efficient as others, it's all genetic and hormones. Only foods that lead to break outs are dairy (not the fat content but the hormones used) and high sodium. Eating French fries or chocolate really blame for it.

If you exercise, use a salicylic acid wash or pad treatment after every workout. Body traps in heat, produces oil like crazzy and boom! Backne, so use that with the following regimens and PROMISE you'll see results!

There is NO cure for acne, at all, ever. Only Accutane (NEVER reccomend, no matter how severe, there IS an alternative solution), that stops the oil glands from producing oil, therefore your dead skin cannot combine with the human sebum which then clogs pores. That's the breeding ground of P. Acne, the only gold standard used is Benzoyl peroxide.

Yes, it can be drying. Because the over the counter products (not all) use low grade large Benzoyl Peroxide beads that stay on the skin surface and dry the face (with the old Proactiv even). However if you're not properly moisturizing, even if you have oily skin, you WILL continue to breakout.

I say go for Proactiv +! I'm on it for months now and love it! I've been using Proactiv (original), used with oil control, SPF (ALWAYS!!!), and green tea moisturizer ( BEST stuff <3) for over 10 years and my skin is amazing.

If you have oily skin use a Salicylic Wash 2% (Deep Cleansing Wash by Proactiv) at night instead of the cleanser and you will get best of both worlds! That'll help shed dead skin and help your skin cycle shed quicker! Plus it breaks down blackheads/white heads ;P

Also you WILL breakout one last time, any skin cycle you go through is a flare up that happens within 3 weeks of a regimen, survive that breakout period and don't lose motivation. Continue using it and you will see COMPLETE results after 60-90 days for realistic goals.

Good luck and feel free to ask for any help!

(I shop at the local mall kiosk workers, they're friendly and help provide the best. I hate signing up for their stupid online stuff, it's a trap! I just bought my stuff and they're having 20% off everything original there! Such a good deal to stock up on!!)

MemberMember
(@barrelracer9293)

Posted : 03/24/2014 12:02 am

I've been wanting to try proactiv plus, but my skin is beyond oily! I usually need something that really dries out my skin. I'm wondering if the moisturizer in it will make my breakouts worse. Something like using bar soap will make me break out horribly!

MemberMember
(@jessica7489)

Posted : 03/25/2014 9:59 am

I have been a proactive user for over ten years. I was interested in trying proactive plus because of how great it seemed on the commercials. it was a major let down. my skin broke out so bad from it. i would not recommend this at all. i am returning my shipment today for my refund. I went back to my old proactive product and my skin cleared back up. :)

MemberMember
(@westcoast21)

Posted : 03/27/2014 12:14 am

I took the plunge and ordered Proactiv Plus. I just received it today and have just finished applying it for the first time a few minutes ago. Here are the pros and cons as I have seen them thus far:

-Faster shipping than expected for standard shipping (less than a week)

-Well-packed in a neat and tidy box with a helpful invoice that includes a return form and info on the back of it

-I love the scent of the product; as soon as I opened the box my nose was greeted with wafts of a fresh, clean, only very slightly sweet scent. I realize not everyone is a fan of scents, but I absolutely love this, especially as I find acne products usually smell very little or rather gross

-Each of the products are easy to use/apply

-Step 2 of the 3-step regimen is great; not too watery nor too thick, applies easily and evenly, and absorbs quickly

-Step 3 of the 3-step regimen is absolutely gorgeous: perfectly silky texture, wonderfully fresh scent, glides on easily and great consistency, again not being too thick or thin

-Free gift of a tube of their facial mask was nice to receive

-Emergency blemish treatment and facial mask both are also great texture and consistency

-My skin feels very soft and moisturized after using and applying all three products; not tight or dry.

-The product packaging is small, much smaller than I expected them to be (I used original Proactiv a few years ago for a while, and those bottles were substantially larger than these ones. All of the products I received (with the exception of the body cleansing bar) was extra small in my opinion. On the infomercial and on the website they appeared much larger.

-The cleanser is a bit of an odd consistency: it comes out of the tube as a somewhat baking soda paste-like consistency, filled with 'micro-cleansing beads' which feel a bit grainy. It glided onto my pre-moistened skin easier than I expected it to, but I found myself using an extra-gentle touch to massage the product onto my face so as not to create unnecessary friction between the beads and my skin. (I find my acne gets worse when I am less than gentle with my skin)

Well, these are my thoughts; I hope that this helps any of you who are in the midst of making a decision about whether or not you will try Proactiv Plus. I am hoping for clearer skin at best and healthier, well-moisturized skin at worst. I'll try to update as I continue to use it.

MemberMember
(@8nicole8)

Posted : 04/24/2014 9:22 pm

I tried proactive plus, and let's just say. Do not give into the scam. First I spent over 200 at the kiosk, and then subscribed bc it was cheaper ( so I thought) I used it for 8 weeks, and it just made me worse. So tonight I called to cancel it, only for them to tell me that I would still be charged 98.00 after canceling. Yeah. Even after I return it, I will keep getting charged 34.95 a month Even though it has been canceled, they keep charging me until the process is completely finished, now as far as getting my money back, all that shipping and handling is not reimbursed, even though I've paid for all of it. And we'll have to see how or when it goes back into my account. How do they sleep at night, ripping ppl off like that. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, she was tied up ( probably talking care of a lot of other unhappy customers) . Save urself the misery

MemberMember
(@ravona)

Posted : 04/25/2014 5:07 pm

Proactiv Plus is the new and improved acne treatment from Proactiv. You are able to fight acne with more hydration for clear, radiant skin. The three-step kit comes with Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, Pore Targeting Treatment, and Complexion Perfecting Hydrator. It features more medicine and a smarter way to target acne. It is the first dual therapy acne and skincare system designed to promote healthy pores. As a human being everyone knows that acne is a complicated, complex, and continuous cycle. The all new Proactiv Plus is designed to address the suffering of other common skin problems. Proactiv Plus is the breakthrough acne-treatment system that delivers more than ever before. It provides more medicine, built-in hydration, and more benefits.

First, lets start with Step 1: Skin Smoothing Exfoliator, which smooth away excess oil, dirt, and other impurities with your daily cleanser. This daily wash feels good on your skin and opens up your pores. Next, Step 2: Pore Targeting Treatment, which kills bacteria deep in the pore when applied to skin. This coats your face kills all those nasty things stuck in your pores. I love it! Finally, Step 3: Complexion Perfecting Hydrator, which soothes skin irritation, brightens tone, and reduces post-acne marks. This step is my favorite because it puts the last touches on your skin. I absolutely love the system and the extra gifts that I receive! This product has worked magic for me in many ways. I think that this system only works for those who love having a routine in order to get rid of their acne. Others simply do not feel that Proactiv Plus works for them.

As a customer of the Proactiv Plus product, there are some negatives and positives. I have been using the product for a few months now and it actually works. I am able to wake in the morning apply my three-step system and feel good about my skin. Also, I apply the product at night just before bed. My skin is healthier and much more appealing. I think that Proactiv Plus is very unique product can only help those with certain skin needs. But, Proactiv Plus does have some down sides. Recently, I had to deal with Proactiv Plus taking money out of my account. I am still dealing with this problem. I took my debit card of the account and had to fax my bank information twice in order to show that money was taken from my account. The company is wants a payment that they have already withdrawn from my account. Also, no one has returned my call letting me know that they received my faxed information. I understand that it is a mistake, but there have been numerous phone calls about this situation. This problem has still not been solved.

My personal experience with Proactiv Plus has been a rollercoaster, but it does come with benefits. There is guaranteed price protection and free gifts with every shipment. Sneak peeks, special offers, and customizing your orders are benefits as well. So, the main question is this product for you? Some may agree and other may disagree. But, I can honestly say that this product has worked for me and many ways. If you are having difficulties with acne or your skin just give it a try.

MemberMember
(@kayxt33)

Posted : 05/01/2014 11:55 pm

Ok so I'll be honest I haven't really stuck to the regimen because my acne isn't a huge problem for me it's pretty mild but because I wanted flawless skin l decided to try proactive plus well I haven't had any adverse effects other then redness and haven't seen much improvement but I've probably used it twice in the past month because I have a broken leg at the moment it's a bit harder to motivate my Self to lean overa sink for ten minutes. But what I really came to talk about was the customer service I had experienced which was more likely then not a fluke or maybe the lady I got really hated her job and didn't care but here's my story... so right before I broke my leg I ordered proactive I had received the trial and tucked it away uninterested because of my situation but forgot that I had to cancel and was only reminded by a massive full sized box I had received on my doorstep I immediately thought oh crap and called the company to explain that I had broken ny leg and simply did not have the money to pay for this and asked if I could send it back. The lady told me to keep it and refunded all my money. So I got over a hundred and fifty dollars worth of product for free and there was no hassle in refunding and no further problems. This was over two months ago also. Just posting this so people are aware that can refund you and not hassle you they just don't want to so fight your your money back don't give up

MemberMember
(@onlygirl)

Posted : 05/02/2014 2:48 am

I recently bought proactive plus for my 15 year old son, who does not have severe acne but was having large red pimples appearing on his nose and blackheads around his lip area. One large pimple would come up, start to go away and another would pop up on the other side of his nose. then that one would start to go down and two more would pop up. I did not have sever acne as a teen but i do have some scarring from what i did have so i decided to try the proactive for him.

he has been using it for two weeks and has had 0 breakouts. I started using it a week ago, my skin is just not the greatest. lots of sun damage from being outside in arizona, and a week later i am seeing much improvement in my skin tone and the color evenness instead of the blotchy look i have had for so long.

i dont know if it will continue to work as well but for now the results are pleasing.

we also are both only using it once a day instead of the twice recommended.

so far a thumbs up. If that changes will post again.

MemberMember
(@krystyne)

Posted : 05/08/2014 5:07 pm

Hello everyone! New to the board but wanted to give my review of proactiv and the plus version.

I've been on Proactiv regular since January of 2005 and overall my skin has much improved since. I'm sure it also has to do with genetics, diet and whatnot but I definitely know that a big portion has to do with the product. I have very oily skin and I use a variety of skin cocktails and different systems to try to maintain my skin but I always usually have a zit or few but generally nothing awful that a camaflouge of makeup can't cover.

This past January I decided to try the new Proactiv Plus because I began to wonder if my skin could just be better with a stronger/different product. Unfortunately that was not the case with this product. I gave it the 3 months that's always recommended for new products but my skin reacted horribly. My T-zone was ok but the back portion of my cheeks (by my ears and jawbone) broke out awful. I got deep cyst like acne all over this section. I had never experienced anything like this in my 15 years of battling acne. I went down to once a day hoping the change would help - it did not. Last month I couldn't take it anymore and decided to use the original again that I still had some of. Within a week I saw an immense difference. While this area of my face has mostly healed I know there are definitely going to be scars (like I need more...).

Even though I hate the fact my skin is addicted to a product I don't see my self changing again any time soon due to the super bad breakout I just endured.

Overall I say use it with caution. Even when I first started the original Proactiv (and trust me I had pretty bad skin) I NEVER experienced such deep painful zits before. If you do try this have some original Proactiv handy.

MemberMember
(@reemals)

Posted : 05/14/2014 1:00 pm

Hello, I was facing the same issues deciding on whether or not to try proactiv plus. I bought the first 3 step system when I was about 16 and it absolutely did not do anything for my skin. It was so drying and irritating. When I saw the infomercial for the new 3 step system, I was very intrigued but also very skeptical. I have a few theories on why the first system didn't agree with so many people -

1. Many people simply just used the 3 step system alone (which is very drying) without a moisturizer, because for some reason, people think that their oily skin doesn't need moisture (guilty as being one of those people).

2. It only contained BP, which doesn't completely work for everyone! Everyones acne is different. My acne for example is just a pain because even though I do get the occasional big red pimple, my face is covered in really tiny bumps due to clogged pores. The only thing that worked for me to clear out my clogged pores was a 120 dollar facial (which i miss doing) but was wayyy to expensive for my broke college self!

3. The acne system didn't care at all about your skin, it just cared about clearing up your acne, which is a horrible approach to clearing up your skin! Even if your skin did clear up with proactiv, the second you get off the treatment it would just come back. Also your skin would look tired and dull, it didn't seem like a permanent solution or a very reasonable skin care regimen for the long run.

Now I'm absolutely no expert on skin care, but I'd like to think of myself as a google doctor. I research everythinnnggg you could possibly imagine when I have my laptop (or smartphone) in front of me. So when I read that the face wash contained glycolic acid in it I was very happy, not only because I've read marvelous things online about it, but also because I was given a glycolic acid based cleanser from my facialist, which made my skin glow and look much brighter, but didn't do much for my acne skin. Glycolic acid does wonders for skin making it look tighter and brighter radiant. Also when i found out that it came with a moisturizer, I was sold. So i decided to give it a try because it was only 29.99 for the whole system, which was a steal if you compared it to other things I have given a try. So after about 3 weeks of using the system, this is what I have to say about it:

The Positives

1. The larger acne on my face cleared up within about 2 days after using the system, day and night with no other products ( I wanted to make sure I had an absolutely un biased trial).

2. The smaller acne reduced by about 40% within the first week and about 80% after the second week, and looks a bit better going to the 3rd week but not crazy improvement like I got when first using it.

3. My skin feels soft to the touch and has a glow to it, something that puts a great big smile on my face. (and no its not an oily glow, just like a brightening glow from within.. no joke)

4. Its really easy because they do deliver it to your doorstep every month if you don't cancel the subscription, which is good for my lazy self!

5. The system contains salicylic acid in the moisturizer, which means guilt free hydration for all.

The negatives

1. The moisturizer they provide is soo thick. And I mean sticky thick, It absorbs into the skin with a kind of oily residue that eventually wears off, so when I apply it in the morning I have to wait before I can apply my makeup so it doesn't literally slide off my face and wear off.

2. Sensitive skin peeps beware. Because every aspect of the system contains some sort of acne fighting medication, it can really put a toll on your skin. Proactiv does sell a system I believe for sensitive skin, but I've never tried it so I can't really say whether or not it would be irritating.

So I couldn't really think of more negatives because so far I'm actually really loving my skin now. Here are some tips so you can get the best results using proactiv that I would recommend from experience

- Use the face wash for the 1-2 mintues suggested. Don't only quickly rub it into your face and wash it off, it can really make a huge difference in your results.

- After using the second step leave in treatment, give it about 2 minutes to really absorb into the skin, then apply your moisturizer! Dont rush and apply your moisturizer right on top of the treatment, theres a reason why they didn't make it a treatment moisturizer. Be patient, I know we're busy but don't act like you don't waste 3 hours of the day watching TV or using your phone.

-Be patient, it can get worse before it gets better, and actually follow the systems instruction because in all of the trials you see on TV, the subjects followed the regimen given in the directions on the back of the bottles.

I hope this was useful! I know I was looking around for a review like this so I just decided to do it myself, Good luck !

MemberMember
(@nikitaaziz)

Posted : 05/15/2014 1:00 am

Proactiv is a dermatologist developed skin care range specifically designed to target acne. The range was developed by renowned Stamford educated dermatologists, Dr Rodan and Dr Fields. Proactiv is distributed by direct response company Guthy Renker.

MemberMember
(@lrussin)

Posted : 06/08/2014 1:00 am

Im so done with "trying" Proactive. Im a 30 year old woman, healthy, I work out, eat right, and have always had perfect skin. Well, about three years ago I started getting acne. I had absolutely no clue how to deal with it. In fact I had never even been to a dermatologist in my life. I tried proactive for about a year and it did nothing. I got off it and decided to see a dermatologist. He put me on a pill to clear up my skin and a topical cream to put on at night. Well that worked for only a little bit. Then when Proactive plus came out I decided to give it another shot. Ive been on it for about six weeks now and my skin is exactly the same. It does absolutely nothing it says its going to do. Im honestly just so at a loss for words on how to deal with adult acne. Ive tried going to several dermatologists and all they do is want to put bandaids over everything. I need to get to the root of my problem as to why Im getting it in the first place. Its depressing, ugly, and makes me feel very insecure about my skin. In addition to all this I'm a makeup artist and my skin and face are my selling point. I don't know what to do about it. I walk into Sephora and look at all the skin care products and think where do I begin? What works, what doesn't. Its so hard. I found this website tonight looking for some guidance. Im hoping someone can point me in the right direction and or give me some pointers on how to deal with this issue and make it better.

MemberMember
(@knowurfacts)

Posted : 06/11/2014 1:50 pm

You really don't have a clue what you are talking about!! First and foremost, BHA (Salicylic Acid) does NOT, I repeat, does NOT "shed dead skin"!!! You keep saying this, and it is absolutely false! What helps to shed dead skin, or exfoliate, is GLYCOLIC ACID (AHA). They are both "exfoliators" but BHA exfoliates the pore wall. It is able to get into the pore and break down sebum and help exfoliate the pore wall, and clean out pores. But it does NOT exfoliate your top layer of skin. However, AHA is made to exfoliate your top layer of skin.

You really need to read up on ingredients and products, and educate yourself. You are giving "advice" to people when it is clear that you are not aware of what you are passing on. I know everyone is just grasping at straws, trying to find answers for their acne, but you really need to educate yourself. Do not tell them what/how to do things, when you do not know yourself. Furthermore, people will give advice on what to do, just because it worked for them, but people are SO individual and there are too many factors that contribute to acne, to know if something that worked for one person, will work for others.

MemberMember
(@sdbass18)

Posted : 08/17/2014 7:25 am

I have been dealing with acne since about age 10. I tried proactive in college, in addition to other very harsh anti-acne formulas. Well, nothing I tried every helped so I just expected the fact that my face would always be scared. After, recently being in a wedding and be required to wear so much make to cover my acne, and my horrible acne scars. I decided to give proactive + a try. I have been using the product for less than one week, and I notice a huge change in my face. I have not gotten any new bumps and my face has a different kind of glow. My face is usually very sensitive to the touch and super oily. Based off the minor changes I've experienced with the new product. I am confident it will be a success this time.

MemberMember
(@lilphilie)

Posted : 08/30/2014 11:15 pm

Proactiv plus worked wonders for my skin from the first use my skin already felt so much smoother and by the next morning you can already see the acne subsiding , after a few months my acne completely disappeared! I always suffered with a moderate to severe case of acne so Ive tried every thing before and this was the only thing that worked. It cleared my acne and left my skin really smooth, I stopped using it after a few months because it started to bleach my eyebrows and tips of my hair :/ Also because its pretty costly, almost a hundred bucks a month, Im happy now as I no longer have acne and when I do its only one or two pimples at a time so I dont really worry about acne as much as I used to.

MemberMember
(@chicagosky)

Posted : 09/25/2014 12:21 am

Hello everyone.

Let me start by saying I NEVER join any message boards or post. I am too busy for that and, frankly, don't care to do it. However, this topic is a very important one to many of us... unfortunately, for me too. I will be brief.

I have been a customer of the old Proactiv for over ten years. That recipe was a miracle in a plastic bottle. I tried many things throughout my life: homeopathic remedies, over the counter remedies, and prescriptions to no avail. I was let down time and time again. When I came across the old Proactiv, I was very happy. It worked! I have been very happy with it for a very long time.

Not anymore. Currently, I am angry. The new Proactiv does NOT work! It's reduced BP is ineffective. I tried the system. It is not effective in the least bit! I have gone from regular acne - when I didn't use the old products regularly - sometimes I slipped, for sure - to very large acne flare ups. These things look like massive razor bumps. I tried the new Proactiv for more than a couple of weeks. It INSTANTLY stopped working thru the new formula. The founders tried to fix something that wasn't broken. It'd be better if they left the old system in place for those that rely on it. But they have discontinued that program - and products - and replaced with with water in a bottle, as far as I'm concerned. It is ridiculous, angering, and disappointing.

PLEASE do NOT try the new formula! It is very ineffective and does nothing! - Except maybe worsen your acne problem, like it did mine. I was rockin' it for over a decade. To go from that to basically being back in high school days is so upsetting. Please try other products before you spend a lot of money on the new system and have no progress to show for it. Even if they give you your money back after 60 days, as someone else said, you live in hopes until then and waste time by not enrolling into an effective program with real acne fighting products. Proactiv is dead, people. And I have permanently reached the second stage of loss: anger.

MemberMember
(@tmayyyy)

Posted : 11/19/2014 7:35 pm

From my very own experience with ProActiv for 3 years, I can really say it changed my life. Dont get me wrong I was completely on the same boat as you, I was very skeptical that the product might work. I did my fair share of research on review online. I was very glad that I did because most of the negative reviews werent that the product didnt work but that when you order online you actually are paying for a subscription. Most people were very unaware of this because it began automatically charging them and it was very difficult to get them to cancel the membership. The number of complaints began to overpower and discredit the product. I luckily bought mine from a kiosk at the mall to avoid this, so I suggest buying yours from there. As for the product, I am absolutely in love with the results it gave me! As the website states, you can really see results within the first 3 weeks then from months your skin gradually becomes completely clear. They do use chemicals such as benzoyl peroxide in the first 2 products, however, unlike most products; the dermatologists who created it carefully planned the correct amount to put so that it doesnt dry out your skin. Step 1 is the smoothing exfoliator which contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Step 2 is the pore targeting treatment with also 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. This allows the medication to get inside the pore to treat acne lying underneath the skin. Step 3 is the complexion perfecting hydrator that contains .5% salicylic acid, which keeps your skin medicated all day to fight any new breakouts from forming. Despite the high cost, I believe its the only care regime I found to actually work for me and it can work for you too!

MemberMember
(@soogar)

Posted : 11/22/2014 9:09 pm

I joined this board to post my opinion of Proactiv plus. Many years ago, I used the original proactiv which kind of helped. I really don't like using toner. I also found that it was kind of drying. I am 40 years old and I have weird hormonal acne. I break out on my cheeks and chin. I've never had such ugly acne in my life. I don't have tons of spots but the ones I have are large and noticeable. The acne also causes ugly marks on my skin.

Last year, I had good results with prescription Retin-A. My prescription ran out and I can't afford to see a dermatologist to get a new script. My experience with Retin-A wasn't that great. The gel burned on application and made my skin incredibly sensitive. I still broke out but not as bad as before the gel. I couldn't wax my upper lip or eyebrows because of how sensitive my skin was.

My acne returned and I decided to give proactiv another try. I always liked their formulation of benzoyl peroxide. A few times in the past I've bought step 3 alone because the cream was that good. It wasn't grainy like the drugstore stuff nor did it bleach out my sheets and hair like the others.

All they had was new proactiv at the kiosk so I gave the new stuff a try. I feel that it is way better than the old stuff. The formulation for all the products is more elegant. Even though I have acne, I have dry skin so the salicytic acid gel cream for step 3 is a welcome improvement. The new system is easier to adhere to for me because I don't have to mess with a toner. The benzoyl peroxide is thinner than the old version but absorbs quicker. Retin-A taught me that a little product goes a long way. I use the new Proactiv sparingly- quarter inch of cleanser, one pump of benzoyl peroxide, and a level spoon (one provided with the gel cream) of gel cream. My 30 day supply lasted almost 2 months.

Anyway, to the results- my acne improved as well under Proactiv plus as it had under Retin-A and it didn't cause as much skin sensitivity. I still get acne (like I did under Retin-A) however the breakouts are smaller and heal faster. My skin broke out more in the beginning (like it had with Retin-a) and I stuck with it. It helps that the gel cream smells so good and has such a nice texture. I like my results and just bought a 90 day supply. I use a sunblock a few hours after applying all the proactiv steps and at night I use Regenerist resurfacing glycolic acid over proactiv to help with my marks. I feel everything is working well.

They are not miracle products but they are effective and the regime is easy to adhere to.

MemberMember
(@yerrrrrrrp)

Posted : 11/23/2014 1:44 am

Proactive made my ance HORRIBLE. but it was proably 6 years ago when i was still in high school. broke my entire face out when i stopped using it

MemberMember
(@mackaylaxo)

Posted : 02/18/2015 11:55 pm

I used to use the old proactiv, and it made my skin burn and itch, and just feel over all dry. But I started usin proactiv plus about 3 weeks ago and my skin is soft, it doesn't burn what so ever, and it's definitely more gentle on my skin. I hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@jhays14)

Posted : 03/01/2015 12:28 pm

I've been using proactive plus for about two weeks now, the product is still drying to the skin, however my skin looks great. It shrunk my pores and smoothed my skin out already. I'd like to keep using it but my skin is to dry right now. If you use it in moderation I highly reccomed it. Don't use it the two times a day, otherwise it'll dry your skin out. People keep noticing my skin and how good it's looking. I am still getting breakouts though. Still waiting for that to clear up.