Notifications
Clear all

Infected Blackhead! Help!

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 01/17/2013 12:13 am

I've had this one blackhead on my upper cheek for awhile. I have a skin picking habit, but it's not as bad as it used to be. I would occasionally gently pick at this blackhead, and just today it's not all red and infected looking. I'm 90% sure I've gotten these before, but I usually resolved them by popping them and I don't want to do that this time. Is there any way I can cure this without traumatizing my skin any more than i already have? Please help. Thanks.

ps. I'm going to try putting a very steamy, damp wash cloth over it to sooth it a little. If things get worse I could try antibiotics or some cream but I don't know. Any advice is welcome.

MemberMember
(@elliew8)

Posted : 01/17/2013 8:55 am

Hey, I have one of these now due to being a skin picker as well and if you don't want to pick it anymore then neosporin really speeds up the heeling process. I'm applying it twice a day and it will reduce the infection and swelling. If you don't have any then some ice in a freezer bag wrapped in some kitchen roll will help soothe - be careful not to keep it on too long though, I'd keep it on for 30 seconds and off for 30 seconds for max 20 mins in total.

Personally I'd say that a warm cloth tends to bring these suckers to the surface for me - which is useful if you're going to pick and get rid of it but will probably make it harder to resist not picking if the puss is so visable.