Notifications
Clear all

Is It Important To Rotate Your Cleanser?

MemberMember
(@jnorton52)

Posted : 01/10/2013 10:08 pm

I've read many contradicting things while surfing the web. Some people say that your skin can get used to a cleanser and that it's important to rotate your cleanser every couple of weeks or so. Other people say that the only product that can lose its effects over a while are topical antibiotics., and that if you rotate cleansers then your skin will freak out from using too many products. I just switched to a new cleanser, and it's been working wonders, as opposed to my old cleanser which was too harsh. I am very worried that this will lose its effects, is it necessary to rotate with another cleanser?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 01/10/2013 11:59 pm

Your cleanser may lose effectiveness for a few reasons:

1. Antibacterial ingredients which P. acnes bacteria can "get used" to, like triclosan (exceptions: BP, sodium sulfacetamide)

2. Active ingredients are degrading, due to age and/or improper storage conditions

3. Formulation flaws, like weak or no preservatives

The skin only "builds up a tolerance" to some topicals when it comes to irritation, like retinoids. But after the irritation stops, the effectiveness will pretty much still remain the same.

JNorton52 liked
MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/11/2013 4:11 pm

The other thing about cleansers is that many use different surfactant ingredients. Some types of dirt, makeup, or whatever may be cleaned off better by a different type of surfactant. Personally I see this applies more to hair. For example, if you use a conditioner with a lot of dimethicone in it, you need a sulfate shampoo to prevent the dimethicone from building up. So someone who uses a sulfate-free shampoo and a conditioner with dimethicone, will need to rotate in a sulfate shampoo every once in a while.

I wouldn't worry about rotating your cleanser for the surfactant reason unless you use a lot of makeup or work in grimy conditions.

MemberMember
(@jnorton52)

Posted : 01/13/2013 10:31 pm

Thank you so much Green Gables, and Michelle Reece I was thinking about the exact same thing. I just read these myths online and automatically think that is the reason why my acne is flaring up again, have to be careful!