Notifications
Clear all

Newbie Needs Advice!

MemberMember
(@clearplease)

Posted : 01/10/2013 9:57 pm

Hi im new to this thread but have been following it for long time. Its my first post so apologies if its a bit all over the place.. :)

Heres my story and i need your help please !

I have very mild but extremely persistent acne around the area of my mouth. This is pretty much the only area where I ever have a problem, apart from the occasional one or two i get around my jawline and on my face to the side of my nose. My face is about 80% clear most of the time and then sometimes i get an even bigger than usual flare up around my mouth area.. I have anywhere from usually 3-7 small cystic acne spots around my mouth. If these were simply whiteheads or blackheads and come and go in a day or two I could deal with it but these spots are extremely painful and when they do show up last sometimes a week to a week and a half. They are always extremely irritated and red and sometimes painful to the extent that smiling and eating even becomes a chore. The frustrating part is that I'm currently 27 and have been trying to get this cleared up for going on 11 years now. I have been going to the dermatologist since I was about 16 and have been on just about everything. I have been on both topical and oral, differin, brevoxyl, retin-a minocin tablets,,....pretty much everything at one point or another. I'm currently on a duac with skinoren cream and was taking tetralycyl tablets with them. I was on accutane before for the same sort of outbreak and it cleared it up perfectly for about 2 years. Now im back right where i started all those years ago, constantly worrying about my skin and unsure when the next spot will arrive. I just want to be put back on accutane cos i know that works but because when I go in to see my derm all they see is someone with mild acne or no acne at all if they catch me on a good day, what they don't see is the fact that my face has been broken out about 75% of the time in some form or another for going on 10 years despite having been on a laundry list of meds for that entire time. No matter how much i tell them of the depression and embarrasment it causes it me they just seem to dismiss it and say accutane is overkill!! Iv ehad tried 3 different derms in last year to try and persuade them but no joy. I'm sick of the medications, the dry skin they give me, and the mediocre results. It seems unless i leave my skin get really really bad i cant get the "cure" i need in accutane.. Any tips or solutions on how to convince my derm to put me on it or anyone in ireland know any derm who is very favourable to prescribing it?? , is every derm just going to tell me its simply not severe enough suck it up. I just don't want to be doing this same routine in another 10 years.

Thanks in advance for yer replies smile.png

MemberMember
(@celery)

Posted : 01/10/2013 11:25 pm

Accutane was originally made for really severe acne. A lot of times, people with moderate acne will start Accutane and their skin will et a lot worse.I have the same skin as yours, pretty mild but SO persistent. I've had it for 6 years now and I"ve tried everything. Nothing necessarily made my skin a lot worse, but my skin just stayed the same. I really think you should try the Regimen. I've only been on it for a few days and my face is already much clearer :)

MemberMember
(@clearplease)

Posted : 01/11/2013 7:48 am

Hey thanks for your reply, wasnt too sure would anyone reply to me to be honest! :) Well im on regimen of avene soapless gel cleanser and avene cleanance moisterizer.. I wash my face twice a day and then in the evening i apply skinoren cream /or duac gel before i go to bed.. I also apply duac in the morning and then i moisterize.. It has limited results but is better than anything else i have tried besides accutane.. I really dont want to keep trying things hoping they will work cos i know accutane does work!! any advice on how to persuade derm would help me in this never ending fight!