Notifications
Clear all

Why Can't The Sebum Just Be Physically Taken Out Of The Follicle?

MemberMember
(@acnesince13)

Posted : 11/22/2012 12:19 pm

I went to a Dermatologist last week. My acne is nowhere near what it used to be, but now I have Hydradentis Suppertiva, and I get sebeceous cysts (and some small pimples as well) I was prescribed a topical benzoyl peroxide and a 1 GM daily dose antibiotic.

But, I'm wondering, why can't the sebum just be taken out of the hair follicle? There are some products which try to do this. Though, I wouldn't try one like this which is just way too big to be gentle enough to do it. I don't believe it doesn't leave a scar as well.

See, if you take a look at the hair follicle

http://www.horizon-bcbsnj.com/myhealthyHorizon/webmd/encyclopedia/articles/Acne/acne%20--%20the%20basics.asp

It's all about the sebum in it, wouldn't something small enough be able to (after getting say a waxing- to make more space by removing the hair) get down into the follicle and vacuum the sebum out? I wonder if it the future, we won't need anti-acne medicine, you'll just go somewhere where you put your face in mask with hundreds/thousands of microtubules which can down into the follicle and vacuum the sebum out.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 11/22/2012 12:32 pm

Sebum is actually a nesscary body thing. It helps us retain elasticity, (preventing wrinkles), prevents dryness (which helps wounds heal faster and regenerate new cells.) The problem is those of us with acne often have an over-production of it. We've had lots of members attempt sebum-reducing regimens - if you do a search, you might have some luck. The procedure you posted looks interesting. It looks expensive, too.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/04/2012 10:25 am

Sebum is actually a nesscary body thing. It helps us retain elasticity, (preventing wrinkles), prevents dryness (which helps wounds heal faster and regenerate new cells.) The problem is those of us with acne often have an over-production of it. We've had lots of members attempt sebum-reducing regimens - if you do a search, you might have some luck. The procedure you posted looks interesting. It looks expensive, too.

And it's filled with enzymes that do things. Eat right and lives as close to a natural lifestyle as possible, sleep, activity and stress-wise and it will both improve the hormones involved in sebum overproduction and the lipid composition of your sebum so it protects your skin and makes it glow rather than looking greasy and clogging pores.

MemberMember
(@acnesince13)

Posted : 12/06/2012 7:34 pm

Yes, I know Sebum is essential, and I am not saying to kill the cells of all (or any) of the sebaceaous glands, but I'm wondering why can't it just simply be vacuumed out. Those glands will still produce sebum of course, after you get rid of the blockage in the follicle that is causing the acne. It would no more stop your body from producing sebum then taking a shower would prevent your water heater from refilling with water.

Actually, this seems to be more along the lines of what I mean, apparently there is a treatment like I am describing

http://www.palomarmedical.com/products/acleara.aspx

I know you say we produce more sebum, but the problem seems/is twofold, first there is a blockage (which can occur at ANY time of our lives, not just around puberty) from there, the sebum gets stuck, the bacteria multiply and you can an inflammation of the skin, blackout, whitehead, pustule, cyst, whatever. Some drugs do work by killing the bacteria, but I don't understand why. Simply killing the bacteria wouldn't clear the blockage for the sebum to get out, and once you stop taking it, wouldn't the bacteria that survived, regrow, and re-inflame the skin (and could possibly be worse now than before since they may now be immune to the anti biotic)

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/07/2012 8:14 am

It's not sebum that gets stuck. It's skin cells. And they are more likely to get stuck if your sebum is of a sticky consistency. Hence the need for a proper diet and habits that improve lipid metabolism and profile.

MemberMember
(@a-p)

Posted : 01/24/2013 2:30 pm

Or a mixture sebum lacking in linoleic acid and having keratosis pilaris.

This is just a thought that might be happening to some of us acne sufferers. Like, the ones who go on super healthy diets with no results.