Notifications
Clear all

Success For A 41-Year-Old - Finally!

MemberMember
(@dbamarsh)

Posted : 11/11/2012 8:46 pm

I am a 41-year-old white female who has suffered from mild to moderate acne since my teens. I think this has primarily been a result of EXTREMELY oily skin, which causes breakouts. I have not left the house without makeup since I was 15, and if I don't put on make-up even during the weekends I will get blackheads from the oil. I must reapply not just powder, but foundation 3-4 times a day just to keep the oil at bay. I can put my makeup on by 7:30 a.m., and by 10 I can take a Kleenex, lay it flat against my face, press and lift and the oil is so severe that you can literally see through the Kleenex! The oil obviously causes whiteheads, blackheads, pimples and cysts (mild to moderate). My mother and her mother had the same problem with oily skin.

Needless to say, I have been through every prescription drug, topical drug, over the counter drug, "new breaking cleansing systems," blah, blah, blah, since my Mom started taking me to the dermotologist more than 25 years ago. Retin-A/Tazorac causes me to have oily skin that peels badly, "cycline" drugs (i.e. Tetracycline) doesn't work at all (probably because I'm an adult dealing with hormones which are causing the oil (?), and the rest of the items in my supply didn't work either.

In 2005, I went on a four-month regimen of Accutane, and despite the horribly dry, peeling skin - the oil went away and my face was pretty much clear for 5-6 years. Last year (2011) the oil came back with a vengence. After fighting with my skin for about a year, I told my husband a few monhs ago that I was going to go through another round of Accutane because it did work, and he - in no uncertain terms - explained to me that I was not. I did not have any unpleasant effects from it except the severe skin peeling, and it does not scare me in the least, but I guess the whole liver shrinkage thing/regulations (which are rediculous!), etc., is something to consider...

I came on this site several weeks ago - prior to my doctor's visit - to read reviews on prescription medication that didn't have the reputation/side-effects of the other topicals (like Retin-A) and addressed adult issues, and brought a list to my doctor. I have seen her for years about my "acne vulgaris" (isn't that a horrible diagnosis?!), and told her I had been researching and what I would like to try. She readily agreed - it was kind of a "back-to-the-basics" approach. Good news is IT HAS WORKED!!!! Essentially, in about 10 days, my oil has decreased, my whiteheads have dried up and basically hardened and popped out on their own, and I have not had a new pimple, blackhead, whitehead or cyst since I started using this. I wanted to share what has worked for me - surely I'm not alone.

Here's what I'm taking. All of these are generic!

* 100 mg spironolactone (50 mg two times a day) - I started taking 25 mg daily about a month ago (way too low for control of severe oil!), so I did have some in my system...

* 1000 mg ampicillin (500 mg taken two times a day). This will be taken for one month, and then can be taken as needed.

* Clindamycin Phasphate and Benzoyl Peroxide Gel, 1.2-5%, applied two times a day the first month, and then once a day or every other da (as needed). I took in a prescription she wrote out for Duac gel, and this is the generic form of it.

I have noticed some drying (VERY minor as compared to Retin-A/Tazorac!), primarily underneath my chin where the oil wasn't as bad. There were a few places on my lower cheeks that "felt" dry (although unless you knew it was there it wouldn't appear as dry or peeling. I - like everyone else - have plenty of "acne" lotions, too. Finally, I asked my pharmacist if he could recommend anything, and found out that God Bond Ultimate Healing Concentrated Terapy Lotion/Ointment works perfect (3.5 oz. for around $3.00 at Wal-Mart). Make sure whatever you use is fragrance free!

Also, I am using Neutrogena Dry-Touch Sunscreen (for the face), SPF 45 or 50 I think. It goes on smoothly and really is dry to the touch!

As an oil mattifier for those high-humidity days, I have tried Milk-of-Magnesia (just shake, apply a very small amount under your make-up) for oil control/mattifier. It's crazy, I know, but it really does work better than any other mattifier I've used (and I've used them all in 25 years!).

Hope this helps.

P.S. A few other notes...

Cetaphil (for normal to oily skin, in the pump) has been a wonderful soap for basic cleansing!

Also, you can use bakng soda and a fragrance free lotion as an "exfoliator" (just put small amounts of each, about equal, in the palm of your hand, mix with finger, rub palms together and apply gently to face! Great for reducing oil!

I've tried everything from Nerium to Clinique to Pro-Active to Mary Kay to Sea Breeze - and everything in-between! - and my almost three decades of trial and error have taught me to save my money and buy the basics. Expensive does not equal effective treatment!

Good luck to those who join me in this