Notifications
Clear all

Time For Accutane?

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/28/2012 6:51 am

I wouldn't waste time using creams. If you have tried the healthy diets like low sugar, no dairy, no wheat, low glycemic load, etc. and you still have severe acne on your face and body, I would probably go ahead and take Accutane. Accutane is not guaranteed to clear you forever. Your acne could come back in as little as a few months, especially if you don't finish your course. It shouldn't come back as bad as it was before, though. So even if it comes back, it would still be worth it for some people. From what I've read, anyway.

Omnivium, your signature is incredible. I love it. OP, read his signature.

I want to help you because I've had a similar condition. I want to start by asking you exactly what you eat.

And you have to be honest, or else I cannot help you. What medical conditions do you have, what other symptoms do you have?

As a four time user of Accutane, your acne will flare up during the first few weeks of treatment, but that is why its a 5-6 month treatment process, the Accutane will draw out the bacteria in the begining making it seem worse at first. I totaly understand your experience, looks like you got some serious inflammation going on there.

Are you seeing a dermatologist for treatment other than Accutane? Tetracycline and other treatments including OTC never worked for me but dermatologist will try any and all medication and topical stuff to see if you respond to that treatment first, if you are not responding to the usual treatment, Accutane then be considered.

What i did find throughout the years that helped is topical, hydrocortisone creme (over the counter) and corticosteroid creme (prescription)

These are from the same "steriod" family, they help in reducing the inflammation which is part of the cronic acne condition. Dermatologists have also used corticosteroid injections (directly into cysts) to reduce the inflammation, reduction i found part of the key. So, try some cortizone 10 creme from your local store, use it on one spot only for a few days or a week (like on one of your shoulders) to see if you respond, you should start to see the redness go down, if it does, then you should respond well to corticosteroid (prescription) much more powerful. If it gets worse, stop using cortizone 10 creme. Just remember, reducing the inflammation is one key to healing.

Just curious, not sure how old you are...I am trying to find a medical link between hormone deficient (testosterone/androgen) prepubescent boys (also known as late bloomers) and acne vulgaris, i recently discovered i had a hidden T-implant prob to "jump start" my puberty as i was one of those late bloomers

I would also have your primary doctor run testosterone lab tests, (including T3,T4, Free, Binding) to see where you are for your age, believe me, no one back in the 1970's when i grew up, would have ever thought of checking for patients with severe acne, they always have treated the symptoms and not the root cause (if there is one)

Inflammation starts from within. If you want to cure inflammation, you eat anti-inflammatory foods, and go on a diet, while restricting carbohydrates.

Accutane, or isotretinoin doesn't "draw out bacteria" as you say. It simply stops sebum production. Why would you want to do this? It's as if people enjoy being nearly dehydrated for 5 months at a time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize that the initial "breakout" occurs because your system does not like accutane. Why would you put such a vile substance into your body for 5 months at a time?

There are good drugs out there, and there are bad drugs. Not all drugs are created equal. We're in an infancy stage of using pharmaceuticals that were created with modern medical technology. Obviously we aren't dealing with shamanistic voodoo healing here - we're dealing with synthesized drugs that isolate a certain condition or aspect and corrects it.

What if acne was a warning sign that our bodies have developed a condition internally that isn't working correctly?

You don't fix a car by just turning off the check engine light. It is red and looks terrible, but turning it off is not the way to go.

MemberMember
(@brarei200)

Posted : 11/28/2012 9:56 pm

Well, she put me on 40mg to start... not too excited with the potential side effects but it is what it is. Hopefully it will just be the common ones.....

On a side note, my derm is super hot LOL

MemberMember
(@discovery)

Posted : 11/28/2012 10:56 pm

I wouldn't waste time using creams. If you have tried the healthy diets like low sugar, no dairy, no wheat, low glycemic load, etc. and you still have severe acne on your face and body, I would probably go ahead and take Accutane. Accutane is not guaranteed to clear you forever. Your acne could come back in as little as a few months, especially if you don't finish your course. It shouldn't come back as bad as it was before, though. So even if it comes back, it would still be worth it for some people. From what I've read, anyway.

I want to help you because I've had a similar condition. I want to start by asking you exactly what you eat.

And you have to be honest, or else I cannot help you. What medical conditions do you have, what other symptoms do you have?

As a four time user of Accutane, your acne will flare up during the first few weeks of treatment, but that is why its a 5-6 month treatment process, the Accutane will draw out the bacteria in the begining making it seem worse at first. I totaly understand your experience, looks like you got some serious inflammation going on there.

Are you seeing a dermatologist for treatment other than Accutane? Tetracycline and other treatments including OTC never worked for me but dermatologist will try any and all medication and topical stuff to see if you respond to that treatment first, if you are not responding to the usual treatment, Accutane then be considered.

What i did find throughout the years that helped is topical, hydrocortisone creme (over the counter) and corticosteroid creme (prescription)

These are from the same "steriod" family, they help in reducing the inflammation which is part of the cronic acne condition. Dermatologists have also used corticosteroid injections (directly into cysts) to reduce the inflammation, reduction i found part of the key. So, try some cortizone 10 creme from your local store, use it on one spot only for a few days or a week (like on one of your shoulders) to see if you respond, you should start to see the redness go down, if it does, then you should respond well to corticosteroid (prescription) much more powerful. If it gets worse, stop using cortizone 10 creme. Just remember, reducing the inflammation is one key to healing.

Just curious, not sure how old you are...I am trying to find a medical link between hormone deficient (testosterone/androgen) prepubescent boys (also known as late bloomers) and acne vulgaris, i recently discovered i had a hidden T-implant prob to "jump start" my puberty as i was one of those late bloomers

I would also have your primary doctor run testosterone lab tests, (including T3,T4, Free, Binding) to see where you are for your age, believe me, no one back in the 1970's when i grew up, would have ever thought of checking for patients with severe acne, they always have treated the symptoms and not the root cause (if there is one)

Inflammation starts from within. If you want to cure inflammation, you eat anti-inflammatory foods, and go on a diet, while restricting carbohydrates.

Accutane, or isotretinoin doesn't "draw out bacteria" as you say. It simply stops sebum production. Why would you want to do this? It's as if people enjoy being nearly dehydrated for 5 months at a time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize that the initial "breakout" occurs because your system does not like accutane. Why would you put such a vile substance into your body for 5 months at a time?

There are good drugs out there, and there are bad drugs. Not all drugs are created equal. We're in an infancy stage of using pharmaceuticals that were created with modern medical technology. Obviously we aren't dealing with shamanistic voodoo healing here - we're dealing with synthesized drugs that isolate a certain condition or aspect and corrects it.

What if acne was a warning sign that our bodies have developed a condition internally that isn't working correctly?

You don't fix a car by just turning off the check engine light. It is red and looks terrible, but turning it off is not the way to go.

because your system does not like accutane?

I believe that its a multi layer problem, hyper androgen creates the foundation for growth, your system "doesnt like accutane" because accutane is a Anti-androgen.

for years the makers claim not to know the mechanism by which accutane works, stopping sebum production is only part, its also bacteria

initial "breakout" occurs because accutane suppresses androgen your body makes naturally, they are trying to cancel eachother out and overtake the bodies response.

accutane wins out over androgen most of the time, the bacteria is secondary. When androgen is suppressed, sebum production slows, then bacterial healing can begin

Well, she put me on 40mg to start... not too excited with the potential side effects but it is what it is. Hopefully it will just be the common ones.....

40mg should work well, Blistex medicated mint balm is the best for your lips, i use it all the time

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/29/2012 1:54 am

because your system does not like accutane?

I believe that its a multi layer problem, hyper androgen creates the foundation for growth, your system "doesnt like accutane" because accutane is a Anti-androgen.

for years the makers claim not to know the mechanism by which accutane works, stopping sebum production is only part, its also bacteria

initial "breakout" occurs because accutane suppresses androgen your body makes naturally, they are trying to cancel eachother out and overtake the bodies response.

accutane wins out over androgen most of the time, the bacteria is secondary. When androgen is suppressed, sebum production slows, then bacterial healing can begin

40mg should work well, Blistex medicated mint balm is the best for your lips, i use it all the time

Long story sort : Accutane is not good for the body.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 11/29/2012 2:19 am

Thanks man. It's weird, I learned a lot about health in general from this acne website, but that information didn't do much for my acne or oily skin. I'm actually planning on taking low dose accutane on my next derm appointment, since diet didn't work for me. I'll keep eating healthy, but I want something that actually makes my skin look decent.

MemberMember
(@jarrit)

Posted : 11/29/2012 2:25 am

Thanks man. It's weird, I learned a lot about health in general from this acne website, but that information didn't do much for my acne or oily skin. I'm actually planning on taking low dose accutane on my next derm appointment, since diet didn't work for me. I'll keep eating healthy, but I want something that actually makes my skin look decent.

Just curious, but...

Where in your diet are you getting your fat and cholesterol? How many carbs per day were you eating? What was the basis of your fiber intake?

Have you tried dan's regimen for a topical treatment? Oily skin is good and healthy and looks nice, actually. It's the problem with the skin cells shedding (lack of) and rebuilding itself that causes an un-smooth texture. Also, discoloration and blood vessels on the surface of the skin.

Alpha Hydroxy Acid is my lifesaver.

MemberMember
(@omnivium)

Posted : 11/29/2012 2:55 pm

Just curious, but...

Where in your diet are you getting your fat and cholesterol? How many carbs per day were you eating? What was the basis of your fiber intake?

Have you tried dan's regimen for a topical treatment? Oily skin is good and healthy and looks nice, actually. It's the problem with the skin cells shedding (lack of) and rebuilding itself that causes an un-smooth texture. Also, discoloration and blood vessels on the surface of the skin.

Alpha Hydroxy Acid is my lifesaver.

I get my fat from nuts, I know it's not the best source, but I can't stand olive oil. I don't get much cholesterol, except when I eat eggs occasionally.

I know I don't have a problem with carbs or insulin resistance. I ate a very low carb, low glycemic load diet for years, and I still had acne and oily skin.

I don't count how much fiber I eat but I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, so I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough.

Overall I think my diet is pretty healthy and I don't think some more diet changes will help my skin very much.

MemberMember
(@brarei200)

Posted : 11/30/2012 1:53 pm

I been on it for like 3 days now, nothing changed. No dry skin, lips, no bad break out like everyone says... but its only been 3 days.

And my Derm told me not use anything except Cetaphil Cleaner / Moisurizer?

MemberMember
(@user74659)

Posted : 12/07/2012 1:44 pm

Like you, I have severe acne. Mine is only on my face and mostly all over my chin and some of the forehead. I have clear cheeks and nose but the chin is sooooo severe. It hurts to eat or try to lay it on a pillow even! It will bust open and drain and bleed and all that nastiness. I have had this problem for almost 7 years now. I used all the OTC stuff first, including Dan's regimen. Did nothing but dry and irritate my skin. I did topicals/antibiotics with some success. I did differin and mino first and it worked for awhile. Doxy did nothing for me. Went on to tazorac and mino again. Got clear for 5 wonderful years. I mean gorgeous skin! I went out without makeup and lived a normal, happy life just using my topicals, but I still got a few microscopic blackheads in the same old prob areas, an occasional cyst that cleared up fast and never got rid of the extreme oiliness of my face. Then, within less than a week I developed the most severe, painful cystic acne I've ever had in my life. I have been distraught. I have done the topicals and everything just to avoid accutane because I was so scared of it. I wish I had taken it years ago. I started around the same time as you and am on a higher dosage (110lb female, 60mg/day) but no side effects so far. On day 8 and getting a nasty and very sore IB... Hope you are doing well so far on your first course!!

MemberMember
(@relentless-rasta)

Posted : 12/09/2012 9:25 am

Hows it going mate ?