Notifications
Clear all

How To Help Inflamation? Pics

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/25/2012 2:37 am

Take a look at Dr. Ayers blog, coolinginflammation.blogspot.com. He's a genius.

that link does not work

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/25/2012 2:45 am

Take a look at Dr. Ayers blog, coolinginflammation.blogspot.com. He's a genius.

that link does not work

Sorry, typo. http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.com/

MemberMember
(@ms18)

Posted : 08/25/2012 11:16 pm

Little update i stopped using cetaphil last night and started using johnson & johnson baby bar soap to wash my face and Johnson bbaby shampoo to wash my hair with also i didnt use Epiduo lastnight because I figured out thats whats making my face hurt within 1 hour of applying epiduo my face started getting irrated and hurting so i washed it off. Today my face is looking much better my cheeks aren't puffy my face isnt nearly as red and theres not nearly as much pain! I hope these results continue pray for me.

One more thing. Ive been on Zoloft 50mg for 5 days and today i felt extremely exhausted and my body ached like i had the flu. Im wondering if it could be the zoloft? Has anyone experienced any side effects of zoloft like this before? I took some advil and got up and took a walk and stretched now i feel much better i hope i don't feel like this again. I'm going to meet with my doctor again next week so ill definatly ask him about this.

MemberMember
(@clambak3)

Posted : 08/25/2012 11:24 pm

I recently switched to an all natural organic argan oil as a lotion and use it after doing the epsom salt treatment and my skin is starting to feel a lot nicer

Yeah epsom salt really helped with a contact dermatitis rash I have significantly.

It does wonders for inflammation.

I am so sorry that you have to go through such severe acne but don't give up. Be gentle with your skin and stay healthy. I wish the best of luck to you!!

Also try aloe. Pure aloe before your moisturizer.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 08/25/2012 11:44 pm

Little update i stopped using cetaphil last night and started using johnson & johnson baby bar soap to wash my face and Johnson bbaby shampoo to wash my hair with also i didnt use Epiduo lastnight because I figured out thats whats making my face hurt within 1 hour of applying epiduo my face started getting irrated and hurting so i washed it off. Today my face is looking much better my cheeks aren't puffy my face isnt nearly as red and theres not nearly as much pain! I hope these results continue pray for me.

One more thing. Ive been on Zoloft 50mg for 5 days and today i felt extremely exhausted and my body ached like i had the flu. Im wondering if it could be the zoloft? Has anyone experienced any side effects of zoloft like this before? I took some advil and got up and took a walk and stretched now i feel much better i hope i don't feel like this again. I'm going to meet with my doctor again next week so ill definatly ask him about this.

Most mental medications are harsh on the body. There are many studies showing not only immediate side effects but long-term side effects such as premature aging. I'll use one of my siblings as an example. She been on different antidepressants for a number of years now. While the antidepressants make her feel better while she is on them, they also make her feel worse because they caused 50 pounds of weight gain, acne, and facial sagging. She went from being a normal weight with flawless skin to quite fat, ridden with acne, and looking ten years older than she is. Yes, she's quite cheerful, but she doesn't like what she sees when she looks in the mirror. I'm not going to tell you to go off your antidepressants, but dang, all those side effects would probably just make me more depressed.

So my point is, I don't know if it's really possible to systemically prevent acne when you have such a strong medication already present in the body. Applies to stimulants such as Ritalin and Adderall as well.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 08/26/2012 1:53 am

Most mental medications are harsh on the body. There are many studies showing not only immediate side effects but long-term side effects such as premature aging. I'll use one of my siblings as an example. She been on different antidepressants for a number of years now. While the antidepressants make her feel better while she is on them, they also make her feel worse because they caused 50 pounds of weight gain, acne, and facial sagging. She went from being a normal weight with flawless skin to quite fat, ridden with acne, and looking ten years older than she is. Yes, she's quite cheerful, but she doesn't like what she sees when she looks in the mirror. I'm not going to tell you to go off your antidepressants, but dang, all those side effects would probably just make me more depressed.

So my point is, I don't know if it's really possible to systemically prevent acne when you have such a strong medication already present in the body. Applies to stimulants such as Ritalin and Adderall as well.

i completely agree with this. So many medications cause crazy imbalances in the body (which can lead to acne). I will use myself as an example, i was on doxycycline hyclate 100 mg 2x a day for 4 and half months. It seems to have permanently worsened my body acne.

What exactly is zoloft for? I would ween off it.

MemberMember
(@ms18)

Posted : 08/26/2012 2:15 am

i completely agree with this. So many medications cause crazy imbalances in the body (which can lead to acne). I will use myself as an example, i was on doxycycline hyclate 100 mg 2x a day for 4 and half months. It seems to have permanently worsened my body acne.

What exactly is zoloft for? I would ween off it.

It's for my anxiety and my depression lately.

MemberMember
(@user182702)

Posted : 08/28/2012 2:42 pm

Hey Ms18,

I joined specifically to respond to your thread. The response to this with the pressure for accutane is pretty bad. I know accutane can do wonders, but if someone clearly does not want to go on it (like Ms18 obviously doesn't), then that should really be respected. ESPECIALLY in the case of someone who is dealing with anxiety and depression. If you fearfully go on accutane when you're already suffering from anxiety, that's a recipe for disaster. However, if you learn to manage your anxiety and decide completely of your own volition to go on accutane, great! Do what you're comfortable with! And to the person who mentioned that the reason people are suicidal on accutane being because their acne in the first place ... can I see your science behind that? The truth is that there IS risk involved when taking any drug, and to ignore that is ... well, it's not smart.

As for the Zoloft, I tried it myself when I was a teenager for my depression, and I had some very severe reactions to it - my esophagus would close up and I had trouble breathing. I haven't had great experiences with drugs for my mental health, but I've found much better alternatives. The most effective being meditation (if you're interested in learning, there WONDERFUL, free 10 day retreats you can take: [Removed]), but psychotherapy is also effective (full disclosure: I'm in a Clinical Psych Ph.D. program, so there's possible bias there ... but also a lot of science to back it up, okay!!). I hope you're also getting talk therapy while on your medications? Ms18, it's a really good sign that you're taking your mental health seriously - especially because we all know how much stress can make skin worse!

As for what you should do ... I am by no means an expert here, but I can recommend some of what's helped me. I am a fan of glycolic peels, but a salicylic peel might be best for active acne. You can order them for a reasonable price off of Amazon. But you should really do some research behind how best to use them, because they can wreak havoc if you go overboard. It's almost always best to err on the side of gentler. That's something that I didn't learn until later in my 20s, and boy howdy it would have been great if someone had told me that in my teens.

I was on antibiotics for a long time, but ... as it turns out, I had a genetic predisposition for Lupus and there's links between minocycline use and onset of Lupus. So just a heads up, if you have any auto-immune disorders that run in your family, you might want to err on the side of caution when it comes to antibiotics. I've got this Lupus now, and that's change the ballgame completely for my face, and I have to figure out a whole new way to deal with my acne.

Other things that I have found to be helpful in the past have included Retin-A, or jojoba, emu, or neem oils. It was counter-intuitive for me to put oils on my face, because I had always thought drying my shit out was the best solution, but ultimately that was making it way worse. I'm also looking into using Vitamin B-5 for inflammation, so we'll see how that goes?

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, but it rubbed me the wrong way how people kept suggesting that you do something that you clearly don't want to do. It sound like you've got good motivation and are being smart about how you're doing things, so there's no reason to doubt that it wont get better! Until then, hang in there baby.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/28/2012 3:42 pm

I understand you don't want to go on accutane, but my personal experience has been that I suffered from crying spells, depression, and anxiety from my severe acne. Once I finally took the plunge and went on accutane, my mental issues went away and that was how I knew it was from the acne. Accutane is altered Vitamin A. My naturopath told me that she things accutane is safer than antibiotics, since antibiotics destroy gut flora, which is essential for the immune system, digestion, and absorption of nutrients.

Only you can decide what is best, but I struggled with acne for 10 years until I took accutane and now I have some scarring. I tried every diet including grain-free, sugar-free, and megadosing on cleansing algaes like Chlorella. None of it cleared my acne completely and it can be emotionally difficult. However, it did decrease some redness and inflammation...

Which is why I still recommend you try a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, low-sugar diet for acne. This will help with your inflammation and mood. Gluten (in wheat, barley, oats, rye) has been tied to depression and mood disorders. Look up "low-glycemic diet" online.

I will say that if you haven't tried a combination antibiotic with benzoyl peroxide in the AM and a retinoid in the PM, then that is what they usually give you before accutane.

Good luck and I will pray for you.

MemberMember
(@chestercool)

Posted : 08/28/2012 9:01 pm

man, my acne was not bad at all, and i took accutane, see my log if u want, try it asap, and start a paleo diet if havent

MemberMember
(@ms18)

Posted : 08/29/2012 12:34 am

I just wanted so say thank you guys for all the support and suggestions it has really helped me get through this i am reading all the posts sorry if i dont reply to you.

So i stopped the zoloft it was doing more good then bad for i started waking up confused and disoreinted i couldn't walk straight the other night i got up to go to the bathroomand i just made my depression Worse! I saw my psycaiatrist today for the first time he told me that the zoloft caused all of that especially because it was the generic brand.

He gave me lexapro to try but i dont think im going to use it im just going to try and get through this without any anti depressiants/anxiety medications as they can just make problems worse. I hung out with my friends today i haven't for about 3 weeks and it felt good i feel normal again i guess you can say. It's just i feel kind of out of place because im the only one with bad skin everyone around me has perfect skin and i don't understand they can eat drink do whatever they want and theres not a mark on them. I guess i just need to say " who cares " about my skin and live my life but easier said then done.

MemberMember
(@jay1993)

Posted : 08/29/2012 1:13 am

Dude I know how you feel I ended up in the emergency room because of the same problem I had them on my chest , back, face an The doctor gave me some antibiotics to calm it down an some Vicodin to sleep you should try that but eventually I had to take accutane it's the last chance for your face to get better because if you take the other antibiotics your face will get worst that's what happen to me don't worry about accutane If you start at a low dosage a go up every month the side affect are mild I only have a dry scalp plzz dude just try accutane :/!

MemberMember
(@hopeforthebest)

Posted : 08/29/2012 1:33 am

try anything u want but for 7 days keep this strict diet it cleared me up mostly..

no fruits

no sugar n stuff that contains sugar not even little

no nuts especially peanuts

no refined grains like white bread white rice etc..

no raw stuff ( m not sure bout the raw stuff yet) but its difficult 2 digest than cooked is known..

eat whole grains, cooked vegitables, cooked pulses, apparently anything which is sugar free n not on the above list..

it helped me n i so hope it helps u!! best f luck!!

MemberMember
(@bluestripez17)

Posted : 08/29/2012 1:55 am

@Ms18 , I know how bad that must suck to go through what you are , but just think about it. Look on the bright side (which I know is hard) but just imagine one day could be next week , could be a month from now , or even 6 months you could be completely clear. that's what keeps me going , Just keep possitive thoughts in your head.

Stay strong man! Just remember this is making you a stronger person emotionally :)

MemberMember
(@noregrets92)

Posted : 08/29/2012 8:37 am

At thread starter, I have so much respect for you and hope you get your skin under control as soon as possible. One day your going to look back and appreciate how tough you were for dealing with this. Really does put things in to perspective guys.

I know you've heard it before but still :) accutane. Your case is just what the drug was made for, i know you have anxiety but just imagine 6 months from now clear skin, i'm sure your confidence will sky rocket and your anxiety and depression will also be gone.

Do as much research as you can on pubmed and see for yourself the ratio of success to side effects, reading forums online doesn't really give a accurate review. Those people that have side effects are more likely to write about them online which puts it out of proportion.

while your on accutane you'll be under the supervision of your doctor, who should look out for side effects.

Honestly I don't think anyone should have to live with severe acne, we all deserve to enjoy life

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)
MemberMember
(@ms18)

Posted : 08/30/2012 3:05 pm

I tried the epsom salt today i dabbed it on my face and left it on for 15 minutes before i took a shower. It softened up my skin thats all i have noticed so far ill keep trying it. How often should i use the epsom salts 1 once a day?

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 08/31/2012 7:58 am

Hey bro just wanted to tell you that I can feel your pain. Truly. I indeed had a little cystic acne when I started accutane after about 18 days my face exploded in nodules check my topic if I want, I was feeling really bad, now I have a lots of red marks from the initial break out, it still sucks but at least my face is smoother. Prednisone helped a lot with the inflammation, so my advice to you is be strong and ask your seem for a possible accutane course, usualy things will getworse before, much worse in my case. Take care and If I want to talk to someone feel free to pm me, cuz I feel your pain. Never give up.

MemberMember
(@ms18)

Posted : 09/01/2012 1:18 am

Hey bro just wanted to tell you that I can feel your pain. Truly. I indeed had a little cystic acne when I started accutane after about 18 days my face exploded in nodules check my topic if I want, I was feeling really bad, now I have a lots of red marks from the initial break out, it still sucks but at least my face is smoother. Prednisone helped a lot with the inflammation, so my advice to you is be strong and ask your seem for a possible accutane course, usualy things will getworse before, much worse in my case. Take care and If I want to talk to someone feel free to pm me, cuz I feel your pain. Never give up.

I thought my face was getting better i just finished 1 month on augmentin now i've been on doxycycline for 2 days and will be for 2 months. I honestly think there is no hope for me. My face will get a little better then within 2 days its just back to huge bumps under my skin and now im getting these "Red Patches" they cover like an inch around my face and they have little white heads in them the skin is very hard if you push on it gently and they Hurt!!! i have about 4 of these across my face and now everything is just spreading and getting worse under my jaw is now covered and its moving down my neck. It just seems like nothing i do or try is going to work. I cant even sleep at night im about to quit my job my life has gone to complete shit. People who don't have acne will never understand how horrible this makes you feel, I cry every single day and just wonder when this is going to end, when can i just get 1 good night sleep without waking up in extreme pain. I can't even go on accutane even if i wanted to my derm said last time we met that i haven't failed enough options since accutane is like a last resort drug she isnt able to give it to me. I just don't know what to do anymore...

This is one of the red spots i talked about this appeared in the last 2 days..

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 09/01/2012 2:17 am

I thought my face was getting better i just finished 1 month on augmentin now i've been on doxycycline for 2 days and will be for 2 months. I honestly think there is no hope for me. My face will get a little better then within 2 days its just back to huge bumps under my skin and now im getting these "Red Patches" they cover like an inch around my face and they have little white heads in them the skin is very hard if you push on it gently and they Hurt!!! i have about 4 of these across my face and now everything is just spreading and getting worse under my jaw is now covered and its moving down my neck. It just seems like nothing i do or try is going to work. I cant even sleep at night im about to quit my job my life has gone to complete shit. People who don't have acne will never understand how horrible this makes you feel, I cry every single day and just wonder when this is going to end, when can i just get 1 good night sleep without waking up in extreme pain. I can't even go on accutane even if i wanted to my derm said last time we met that i haven't failed enough options since accutane is like a last resort drug she isnt able to give it to me. I just don't know what to do anymore...

This is one of the red spots i talked about this appeared in the last 2 days..

I've been on Augumentin + Prednisone and it helped a lot!!!

They say acne affects 85% of people , but when u look around you see none, that's because there is hope for everyone , and they have trated their acne , and so will YOU!Your time will come,don't lose hope.

MemberMember
(@ijustwantmylifeback123)

Posted : 09/01/2012 3:02 am

I feel for u mate I've been in that emotional situation I'm 18 year old male to I had the worst breakout of my life 3 months ago still dealing with it . It took that much of an impact I cried everyday wondering when will it be over :( fucking acne made me quit my job to ! even tried overdosing a few times just wanting it to be over ! what makes it harder is were 18 we should be out partying living a care free life but no acne puts a stop to that ! I rele hope things get better for u mate it looks rele painfull , but it does get better it's a long and horrible process and there's light at the end of the tunnel there's got to be hang in there bro :)

MemberMember
(@ocean27)

Posted : 09/01/2012 5:31 am

Hi Ms18,

I am so so sorry that you are going through this.

I was in a very similar situation around 4 years ago and I would wake up every morning in pain too, just like you described.

It saddens me to see so many people pressuring you to take accutane even though you mentioned at least three times that this was not an option.

I also completely agree with your concerns regarding it's side effects which of course shouldn't be taken lightly.

You mentioned that you were taking doxycycline - how have you found it so far?

I've tried minocycline in the past and it helped (it took a few weeks to kick in).

As for topicals, have you tried an aspirin mask? You crush an aspirin pill or two into a tiny amount of water - it'll look like a thick paste. Try applying this onto you skin and let it dry (roughly 20-30min). You can do this 1-2 times a week and many members on this website have found it really helpful.

I would also highly recommend aloe vera gel (one with no preservatives) that you can apply instead of moisturiser. My cousin consistenly used it every morning and night after cleansing and his acne cleared up. It will take weeks/months to see results but it was defintely worth it for him.

Keep sticking with what the derm has prescribed for now and if you don't see results in a few months time, I would go for a second opinion with a different derm.

Hugs x

MemberMember
(@jujuchon)

Posted : 09/02/2012 1:09 am

you use the epsom salt mask once daily preferably at night before you sleep. My acne bumps went away but I do have those red patches like yours all over my face. I have recently switched on doing a oatmeal mask nightly instead of epsom salt since my pimples are almost gone and now I have to deal with the redness. but i suggest to continue using epsom salt to dry out your pimples right now and maybe also calamine lotion too to help the itch. (the calamine lotion will make your face pretty dry so use it once a week if you do decide to try it)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/blog/6507/entry-24375-seeing-some-improvement-and-at-the-same-time-another-problem/

this is a link to my recent blog just wanted to show you that your not alone =]

MemberMember
(@ms18)

Posted : 09/02/2012 1:47 pm

you use the epsom salt mask once daily preferably at night before you sleep. My acne bumps went away but I do have those red patches like yours all over my face. I have recently switched on doing a oatmeal mask nightly instead of epsom salt since my pimples are almost gone and now I have to deal with the redness. but i suggest to continue using epsom salt to dry out your pimples right now and maybe also calamine lotion too to help the itch. (the calamine lotion will make your face pretty dry so use it once a week if you do decide to try it)

http://www.acne.org/...nother-problem/

this is a link to my recent blog just wanted to show you that your not alone sideways.gif

okay ive been doing it every night after i wash my face. Ive done it 3 times so far and no noticable improvements i still wake up in pain i cant even turn my head because im breaking out on my neck now and they hurt like hell you can see little bumps all under my neck forming this is a disaster

MemberMember
(@abybar)

Posted : 09/02/2012 2:37 pm

this is a link to my recent blog just wanted to show you that your not alone sideways.gif

okay ive been doing it every night after i wash my face. Ive done it 3 times so far and no noticable improvements i still wake up in pain i cant even turn my head because im breaking out on my neck now and they hurt like hell you can see little bumps all under my neck forming this is a disaster

Just leave your skin alone your irritatin it more by adding more products or trying natural remedies. Just stick to the regimen your doctor gave you. You have to be patient and at least give it 3-4 months to notice improvements . I'm telling you this because I have cystic acne as well and its painful yes but just let it heal and don't touch your skin . I know it's hard and it's hindering your sleep but honest be gentle with your skin. Adding Epsom salt and all this stuff your just making matters worse . I went insane trying all these crazy ideas people were throwin at me and made my face worse now I've decide to leave it alone because it's to painful to even touch or try anything.

So just hang in there . You are not alone

Just leave your skin alone your irritatin it more by adding more products or trying natural remedies. Just stick to the regimen your doctor gave you. You have to be patient and at least give it 3-4 months to notice improvements . I'm telling you this because I have cystic acne as well and its painful yes but just let it heal and don't touch your skin . I know it's hard and it's hindering your sleep but honest be gentle with your skin. Adding Epsom salt and all this stuff your just making matters worse . I went insane trying all these crazy ideas people were throwin at me and made my face worse now I've decide to leave it alone because it's to painful to even touch or try anything.

So just hang in there . You are not alone