Notifications
Clear all

Sebaceous filaments

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 09/16/2009 12:45 pm

I guess these are Sebaceous Filaments then?

Is there anything that can be done to reduce their appearance? Or should I just forget about it...

post-112617-1253096686_thumb.jpg

That's what they look like to me in the photo - that or just slightly large pores. Realize that most people don't get nearly that close to your skin to be able to see that (and even if they did, I am guessing they wouldn't notice anything anyways!). Mandelic acid MIGHT help reduce the appearance of these. I notice that my pores appear smaller when I use mandelic regularly.

MemberMember
(@sebastianoo)

Posted : 12/12/2009 1:42 am

are those white BUMPS the sebaceous filaments or the black dots???

coz now im worried im 16 and i have some blackheads that are obviously black but there not the same siz some are bigger than the other. ??? anyone lol

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 12/12/2009 11:03 am

coz now im worried im 16 and i have some blackheads that are obviously black but there not the same siz some are bigger than the other. ??? anyone lol

Possibly both - the filaments are white, unless the top part is exposed to oxygen at the skin's surface, in which case the top part of the filament turns black.

Possibly both - the filaments are white, unless the top part is exposed to oxygen at the skin's surface, in which case the top part of the filament turns black.

And it possible that you have sebaceous filaments (the ones that are about the same size) and blackheads (the bigger spots)

MemberMember
(@ccasey)

Posted : 12/13/2009 1:07 am

looks like i have this, what a bitc..

MemberMember
(@chandy)

Posted : 12/13/2009 6:35 am

Ohh wow, this gives me some perspective. I tried those annoying strips, facial scrubs, masks... absolutely anything to get rid of these things - simply because my mother kept telling me they were blackheads - inherited from my grandmother. Lol. I don't feel so bad about them now, though admittedly still a bit miffed there is no cure. Still I wish I had known this years ago. Thank you for the enlightenment :)

MemberMember
(@pchic)

Posted : 01/01/2010 12:08 pm

I have both then..because after blackheads squeezing session in which lots of white gunk comes out, the skin on my nose and forehead look clearer, but there are still the greyish dots!

MemberMember
(@erin92)

Posted : 03/06/2010 3:33 pm

This helps so much! I thought I only had cysts and normal pimples, no whiteheads or blackheads, until I was told what blackheads are and what the look like. Then I looked at my nose and thought I had tons of them. I thought great, I knew my acne was bad, but now I realize I have it worse! This somewhat gives me hope that I don't have blackheads haha

MemberMember
(@vapor-trail)

Posted : 03/21/2010 11:03 am

Hooray, I can stop beating up my nose

And now that my skin's just about clear, I can focus on fading my scars and shrinking up my pores.

MemberMember
(@emp)

Posted : 05/22/2010 11:40 pm

I have these so called filaments pretty bad. sometimes I wake up and theres a whole lot of them sticking out of my pores on my nose up to ~2mm. is it bad if I use tweezers to pull em out? It sure is satisfying...

I'm gonna try the mandelic acid and see if that helps...

MemberMember
(@cheycheyenne)

Posted : 06/11/2010 12:52 am

I guess if I do have these...I'm wondering if it is okay to clean out those pores (extract) regularly anyway because they get a lot bigger after I let it all build up in there for a couple weeks or months

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/12/2010 11:02 pm

Can anybody assist me. I still have scarring on my forehead with it appears these sebaceous filaments or blackheads. I have posted pics below. I have done home glycolic peels, Olay microderm and peel kit, AHA exfoliating creams just to name a few. Any suggestions?

post-125111-1276401693_thumb.jpg

post-125111-1276401718_thumb.jpg

post-125111-1276401693_thumb.jpg

post-125111-1276401718_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@spoofy2)

Posted : 06/15/2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the post, Kim!

Pic looks a lot like my nose :\ It's good to know that they're very normal ^^

MemberMember
(@isthisreallife)

Posted : 06/23/2010 6:17 am

Does any1 know what product(s) you can use to reduce this?

MemberMember
(@michellemac)

Posted : 06/28/2010 1:41 pm

OMG so helpful it explains alot and now I can stop squeezing the hell out of my nose !

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@endocardia)

Posted : 07/26/2010 4:01 pm

What happens when you squeeze these too hard and it leaves red patches - I did some brutality to my face - now is it permanently damaged? The surface of my skin is red and painful, when I squeezed that hardened white gunk came out thinking they were blackheads. How do I fix this

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 07/27/2010 10:08 am

i;ve just read the thread on sebaceous filaments and have finally have an answer to what is going on with my chin but upset to learn it doesnt seem preventable or curable. At times I have tons of small pin sized white dots in my entire chin area. Mostly in the corners of my mouth and down toward the tip of my chin. I'm not sure what brings them on or become more pronounced at certain times. I wash with a gently with neutrogena gentle cleanser and exfoliate with cotton pads that have a gentle side and a rougher side regularly. I thought they might be milia and frequent exfoliation is suppose to help. Sometimes if i try and extract them a little white plug will shoot out and then i know i got the entire root of it. Other times, even though it looks like its right at the surface and i try and extract it, it does not come out and makes an open cut. I can still see the plug but cannot grab it because the area where i made this hole has no skin around it. Its similiar to extracting a blackhead that you dont get. It will take forever to heal. its digusting having these because sometimes in the morning they look tolerable and by the end of the day they are like little explosions everywhere. It seems the oil brings them out. Has any one had any look with supplements controling oil production. i"m currently starting my 5th month of spironolactone and dont see any difference from march when i started it. I already take iron, flaxseed oil, and zinc. I've even tried mandelic acid 15% and it seems to bring everything up but doesnt prevent them. UGH is all I can say.....

MemberMember
(@rivercat)

Posted : 08/27/2010 9:47 pm

So...this WHOLE time I thought the "blackheads" in my cheeks were blackheads...it turns out they might actually be Sebaceous Filaments..? Well that sucks... Should I go to my derm and ask him what he thinks?

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 08/28/2010 8:39 am

derms dont no squat...I find more answeres here on these boards than with the professional. They just throw medications and creams at you and ask you to come back next month. They truly dont know how to treat sometimes. I went to my derm this past Tuesday and he looked at my chin and said "Hmmmm....clogged pores I think. You might want to schedule an appointment with an aestethician. I wanted to scream. I've tried Ziana, Differin, Paulas 1% BHA lotion, BP, exfoliation, not exfoliating, vitamins & supplements and still cannot find something to prevent them. The only way to rid them is thru extraction but its crazy to stand in front of the mirror for an hour each evening with my blackhead remover. My family wants to know what the heck I do in there for so long...its heartbreaking..No one gets it but people that live by their skin

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/20/2010 8:57 pm

i think i picked at a small sebacious filament on the side of my nose (big mistake) and now it left a red dot that looks like dried blood , and it has been there for months! Will it ever go away?

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 09/22/2010 9:09 pm

never had that...doesnt sound like sebaceous filament

MemberMember
(@nickatnight)

Posted : 10/27/2010 12:33 am

OMG so helpful it explains alot and now I can stop squeezing the hell out of my nose !

Thanks!

Same here! Good information to know :)

MemberMember
(@soloness)

Posted : 12/13/2010 3:08 pm

so what the ### do we do?? There has to be a cure damnit. This isn't normal, most people dont have this stuff. If its the skin/oil, maybe accutane will help.

MemberMember
(@bucketheadman)

Posted : 12/16/2010 11:08 pm

up until a week or so ago I thought I was totally screwed with having to live with this forever and maybe I still will. But like a month ago I got some poison ivy from working in my backyard and it was really annoying since it messed up all my hands and I use my hands for work so it's sucked to say the least. But I used some isopropyl alcohol 91% on my poison ivy and it worked great. I then did some research and decided why not use it on my face and that was 2 and a half weeks ago and I think it's actually made my skin better. For the first time in a long time I'm optimistic about this helping.

MemberMember
(@axamenta)

Posted : 01/23/2011 2:50 pm

Doesn't matter how you call it, it's still acne. Blackhead, whitehead, "sebaceous filament"; whether smaller, bigger, darker, lighter, open or closed...

The pore is still clogged. Nobody tell me that's how healthy skin is supposed to look like. The plug is not supposed to be there (nott!! no no!)

If most people have this, most people have acne to some degree then

MemberMember
(@ashala)

Posted : 01/23/2011 6:53 pm

Doesn't matter how you call it, it's still acne. Blackhead, whitehead, "sebaceous filament"; whether smaller, bigger, darker, lighter, open or closed...

The pore is still clogged. Nobody tell me that's how healthy skin is supposed to look like. The plug is not supposed to be there (nott!! no no!)

If most people have this, most people have acne to some degree then

Considering almost 99% of the people who have them are the only ones who can see them, who cares?

No, it's not supposed to be there, but it doesn't look horrible or obvious for the majority of people. Those who have very obvious ones are probably dehydrating and irritating their skin far too much, as well as perhaps exfoliating too much. In which case they just need to stop all of the above for a month or two and it will likely die down.

And Time, doesn't sound like a sebaceous filament. Sebaceous filaments pretty much fill back up within 24 hours of squeezing them out, give or take. You probably had an actual blackhead. Or something else.

Maybe you should stop picking.