Notifications
Clear all

Biggest Mistakes People Make to Treat Acne:

MemberMember
(@fut)

Posted : 06/28/2006 3:32 pm

Biggest mistakei've made - USING PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS. Once you stop it comes back either worse or the same!

MemberMember
(@kira1987)

Posted : 06/28/2006 4:50 pm

What if i have lots of red little bumps and marks on my face. I have been to doctors but tretinion and differin seems to make it worse as i have very sensitive red skin. What i can i do to cure it? thanks.

Could you be more descriptive about the bumps? What I mean is, do they have a visible clog? How big are they exactly? Do they look like they belong with a rash? Are they surrounded by visible blood vessels?

How long did you try the prescription retinoids?

Also, what is your skin care regimen?

The bumps inflamed whiteheads. Some other parts of my face feels smooth but it looks in the mirror that there are patches of red spots scattered all over my face. Yup i have some clog on my cheeks juz beside my nose, can see the pores. Yes my face look like it is on rashes. Whenever i go out in the sun, some parts of my face suddenly get red and itchy. I been on differin for 2 and half months but it got worse so dermatologist told me to stop while tretinion 1 month but it was very drying for my skin and made my face red and irritated. My regimen is juz a cleanser and a toner cause i am not sure what is best for my skin. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/28/2006 8:11 pm

I really can't advise you because I am not your dermatologist, but there is a possibility that you could have rosacea and not acne, which is often times mistaken for acne or even rashes by dermatologists. Its symptoms can include flushing, dry facial skin, pimples, visible blood vessels or "red, stringy lines," rhinophyma (bumby nose), and facial burning, stinging, or itching. Many rosacea patients find that traditional acne treatments worsen their condition. Rosacea flareups can be triggered by the sun and heat, irritating products and skincare habits, and spicy foods. Although rosacea usually occurrs in those over thirty, it can occur at any age (I have it and I'm eighteen).

You may find this website helpful in comparing symptoms:

[Removed link]

Also, when I asked you what your skin care regimen was, I wanted to know specifically which products you were using as these may be exasperating your condition. There are many cleansers and toners that are irritating to the skin, just like there are those that are helpful to the skin.

Based on what you did tell me, I see that you are not using a sunscreen. Everyone needs a daily sunscreen to prevent sun damage, and rosacea patients especially need one. If you do have rosacea, I would recommend a broad-spectrum mineral-based sunscreen that contains titanium dioxide and/or zinc oxide, which are gentler than synthetic sunscreen ingredients. Clinique makes some very good sunscreens feauturing titanium dioxide.

MemberMember
(@iceboi)

Posted : 06/29/2006 1:04 pm

Is Jojoba Oil good? Currently using it as a moisturizer and it's effective on red marks and scars!

Also using something called Carley's Clear and smooth. Over half of their ingredients are on your clogging and skin irritant list. Well still using it with wonderful Results. All I have is redmarks and scars to get rid of. If I stop using this stuff I will break out like crazy!

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/29/2006 9:05 pm

Is Jojoba Oil good? Currently using it as a moisturizer and it's effective on red marks and scars!

Also using something called Carley's Clear and smooth. Over half of their ingredients are on your clogging and skin irritant list. Well still using it with wonderful Results. All I have is redmarks and scars to get rid of. If I stop using this stuff I will break out like crazy!

Jojoba oil is a good moisturizer for many people.

Your Carley's Clear and Smooth, assuming I looked up the right products, appears to be a benzoyl peroxide wash that comes with either a 2% or 5% conentration of benzoyl peroxide depending on which version you buy. The product seems to contain "natural" soaps, but these are actually saponified oils (involves mixing lye with oils to get a chemical reaction; nothing "natural" about them), which likely gives this product an alkaline pH due to the lye (which encourages bacterial growth) and makes it irritating to the skin as well. The cleansers do contain glycerin and other emollient ingredients, which may make the irritation caused more "comfortable." Most of the other irritants appear toward the end of the ingredients list, so they pose a minimal risk of irritation. Still, it's better not to include them.

Also, I never said certain ingredients always clog pores, I just said that some are more likely to than others.

Chances are a good deal of the benzoyl peroxide in this product gets washed down the drain; you would be better off with a good, gentle, leave-on product.

You don't always immediately notice the damage of skin irritation, by the way, just like you don't immediately notice the damage done by UVA rays.

Just because your acne cleared up after using this product doesn't mean this product actually cleared up your skin. There are many reasons why your skin could have cleared up, like a change in hormones, changes in weather or your water, lifestyle, etc....

MemberMember
(@rache)

Posted : 06/30/2006 7:30 pm

Do you think that any of these ingredients would cause my skin to break out??..

Ingredients include:Purified Water, Tea Tree Oi(4%)l, Safflower Oil, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Glycerin, Allantoin, Panthenol, TEA, Aloe Vera Powder, Almond Oil, Avocado, Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Horsetail Extract (herb), Citricidal, Phenoxyethanol.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/30/2006 8:44 pm

Rache said:

Ingredients include:Purified Water, Tea Tree Oil (4%), Safflower Oil, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Glycerin, Allantoin, Panthenol, TEA, Aloe Vera Powder, Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Horsetail Extract (herb), CitricidalAA, Phenoxyethanol.

No ingredients stand out to me as being notoriously comedogenic. The horsetail extract functions as an antioxodant that can also be irritating to the skin, though it doesn't appear to be present in any significant amount so probably isn't a problem.

I'm guessing you're using this product as an acne treatment, right?

The product contains tea tree oil, which may work as a topical disinfectant in the treatment of acne.

According to Healthnotes Review of Complementary and Integrative Medicine [Removed link]and the Medical Journal of Australia (October 1990, pages 455458), 5% tea tree oil and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide are effective in reducing the number of blemishes, with a significantly better result for benzoyl peroxide when compared to the tea tree oil.

However, the concentration used in your product falls one percent short of the concentration used in the study, so how effective it is I cannot say.

Regarding the Citricidal, that is something I have never heard of before.

I did find some studies relating to its effectiveness against bacteria, though I could find none regarding its effectiveness specifically against the p. acnes bacteria (not to say that there are none, just none that I could find).

I found this website here, which tells a little about Citricidal:

http://sagescript.tripod.com/id57.htm

MemberMember
(@rache)

Posted : 06/30/2006 10:21 pm

The_Snow_Queen said:
Rache said:

Ingredients include:Purified Water, Tea Tree Oil (4%), Safflower Oil, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Glycerin, Allantoin, Panthenol, TEA, Aloe Vera Powder, Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Horsetail Extract (herb), Citricidal‚®, Phenoxyethanol.

No ingredients stand out to me as being notoriously comedogenic. The horsetail extract functions as an antioxodant that can also be irritating to the skin, though it doesn't appear to be present in any significant amount so probably isn't a problem.

The product contains tea tree oil, which may work as a topical disinfectant in the treatment of acne.

According to Healthnotes Review of Complementary and Integrative Medicine [Removed link] and the Medical Journal of Australia (October 1990, pages 455458), 5% tea tree oil and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide are effective in reducing the number of blemishes, with a significantly better result for benzoyl peroxide when compared to the tea tree oil.

However, the concentration used in your product falls one percent short of the concentration used in the study, so how effective it is I cannot say.

I did find some studies relating to its effectiveness against bacteria, though I could find none regarding its effectiveness specifically against the p. acnes bacteria (not to say that there are none, just none that I could find).

Thanks for that. Yeah, it does seem/ and have heard its an excellent acne/ blemish treatment.

Oh, and I dunno how they made this mistake. But I looked at the offical site, of the product and it IS "5% tea tree oil"..Dunno where I got the 4 from?..*shurgs*

This has convinced me to buy it.. ;)

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 06/30/2006 10:23 pm

Rache said:
The_Snow_Queen said:
Rache said:

Ingredients include:Purified Water, Tea Tree Oil (4%), Safflower Oil, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E), Glycerin, Allantoin, Panthenol, TEA, Aloe Vera Powder, Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Horsetail Extract (herb), Citricidal‚®, Phenoxyethanol.

According to Healthnotes Review of Complementary and Integrative Medicine [Removed link] and the Medical Journal of Australia (October 1990, pages 455458), 5% tea tree oil and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide are effective in reducing the number of blemishes, with a significantly better result for benzoyl peroxide when compared to the tea tree oil.

Thanks for that. Yeah, it does seem/ and have heard its an excellent acne/ blemish treatment.

Oh, and I dunno how they made this mistake. But I looked at the offical site, of the product and it IS "5% tea tree oil"..Dunno where I got the 4 from?..*shurgs*

This has convinced me to buy it.. ;)

I hope it works out for you! What's it called? That would have to be the first tea tree oil treatment I've heard of that actually uses enough tea tree oil in it (without adding significant concentrations of skin irritants) to possibly have a positive effect on acne.

MemberMember
(@rache)

Posted : 07/01/2006 1:16 am

Its called "Derma E Tea Tree and E antisptic antibacterial cream"

Its very benefical for all sorts of skin problems..: Acne, rashes, dermatitis, Atheltes foot, ingrown hairs, blemishs, itchy, dry skin, psoriasis, etc.

I am for sure going to purchase it. As I also have the cleanser(which has only 3% TTO in it..and its high in glyoic acid, which is supposedly very good for the skin). I hope that using TTO for BOTH cleanser, and treatment, not to much for my skin?..

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 07/01/2006 1:58 am

Its called "Derma E Tea Tree and E antisptic antibacterial cream"

Its very benefical for all sorts of skin problems..: Acne, rashes, dermatitis, Atheltes foot, ingrown hairs, blemishs, itchy, dry skin, psoriasis, etc.

I am for sure going to purchase it. As I also have the cleanser(which has only 3% TTO in it..and its high in glyoic acid, which is supposedly very good for the skin). I hope that using TTO for BOTH cleanser, and treatment, not to much for my skin?..

I wouldn't rely on cleansers to disinfect and chemically exfoliate the skin. Almost all cleansers have too high of a pH to allow the chemical exfoliant to exfoliate, not to mention that a lot of the exfoliating and disinfecting ingredients would be washed downt he drain before they could do much. Also, the cleanser you mentioned only has 3% tea tree oil in it, so even if it did stay on the skin I don't think it would have too much power as a disinfectant based on the study I posted earlier.

Leave on-exfoliants and disinfectants are much more effective.

Provided your cleanser doesn't include harsh detergents and skin irritants in its formulation, it should be fine to use in your regimen, though again, I don't really see how much better it would be than any gentle cleanser since its "active ingredients" are better left on the skin rather than washed away in a cleanser.

In many instances it is beneficial to use chemical exfoliants and topical disinfectants together provided both products are irritant-free, though salicylic acid products are generally more effective than glycolic and other alpha hydroxy acids because it is lipid soluble and can exfoliate within the pore, whereas alpha hydroxy acids exfoliate mainly the skin's surface.

MemberMember
(@im_clear_at_last)

Posted : 07/02/2006 3:05 am

No offense, but I have a hard time to believe what snowy queen said about skin irritants.

I believe that almost anything you put on your face can potentially irritate the skin.

case 1.:

I am a guy but I have had to put on a make-up/concealer 3 times already (each time a different brand). Everytime it induced acne break out.

case 2:

For the longest time I have used chinese topical medicated lotion that contains high concentration of menthol and another brand also contains eucaliptus oil. I used it under my nose and around my temple area as a remedy for cold, runny nose, headache and fever. But I never had acne breakout due to it.

case 3:

I have also used cleanser that contains menthol. I like the product due to the fresh feeling it creates. Again I never had acne breakout that I can attribute to using the product.

case 4:

Even BP that is known to be an effective agent to kill acne bacteria can irritate your skin.

Some people can never tolerate it.

There are many other examples.

Bottom line, each person would know better, based on their experience, what can irritate and induces acne breakout on their skin.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 07/02/2006 3:33 am

Here's a link about skin irritants and their effects on the skin:

http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/contact-irritant.html

Here's another link that talks about the process of skin irritation and how it can silently damage the skin:

[Removed link]

The irritants found in cosmetics obviously are not as harsh as some of the irritants mentioned in the articles, but they still have a negative effect on the skin, as noted in the first article, which warns against certain cosmetics containing skin irritants. How apparant that effect is varies by person.

Some food for thought:

UVA rays damage the skin, yet usually people don't notice that damage right away either.

Since you've mentioned menthol's "fresh" feeling, you should know that the sensation assocaiated with menthol is actually irritation, as pointed out in this men's skin care article below:

[Removed link]

Here's an article listing the research regarding eucalyptus' harmful effects:

[Removed link]

It is true that many acne treatments like benzoyl peroxide can have an irritating effect on the skin, but what I consider irritants to be avoided are those either have no research backing them as being beneficial to the skin, or those that do have benefits but can be replaced by other less-irritating substances.

And in response to any ancidotal "evidence" that skin irritants are not a problem to the skin, I can tell you that my personal experiences contradict that. My skin did not start to clear up until I removed unnecessary skin irritants from my daily skin care regimen.

I am by no means saying that skin irritants always directly cause breakouts or that removing skin irritants from your routine will most certainly result in clear skin, but skin irritants do contribute to unhealthy skin, which is definately not good for acne sufferers.

MemberMember
(@someone111)

Posted : 07/03/2006 1:32 am

Emu Oil is a moisturizer that doesnt clog pores btw. So not all animal oils are a problem.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 07/03/2006 3:12 am

Um, yeah. I said that emu oil is not likely to clog pores in the first section. Please read before responding. Thanks.

When Buying Products

Don't Buy Cleansers That:

1. Contain harsh surfectants like sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate.

2. Are in bar form. These contain harsh cleansing agents like sodium cocoate, and the ingredients that keep them in bar form can be absorbed into the skin to clog pores. Also, many bar soaps have alkaline pH levels, which actually encourages bacterial growth.

3. Are scrubs containing uneven particles like walnut . These can tear at the skin and cause irritation. Look for scrubs with smooth, round, bead-like particles.

4. Contain waxy, pore-clogging thickeners. Products in cream form tend to have these.

5. Contain animal oils.* Animal oils resemble human sebum and can clog pores similarly.

4. Give a "tingly" or "cooling" feeling. That feeling is caused by skin irritants like menthol and camphor.

5. Are medicated. If the medication is salicylic acid, the cleanser is almost certain to have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the salicylicylic acid to exfoliate. Chances are that the majority of any medictation used in a cleanser will be washed away before having any real effect.

* Emu oil for some reason seems to be an exception as it does not seem to be problematic for pores according to users on this site.

MemberMember
(@rache)

Posted : 07/03/2006 3:43 pm

Snow Queen: Your so knowledgable and helpfull, thanks :)

By the way I have heard good reviews about the toner you are using, how do you find it for you? I was considering get it, as well.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 07/04/2006 5:14 am

Hi Rache, and thanks for the complements.

The Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner is an example of a gentle, unmedicated toner that adds water-binding agents and anti-irritants to the skin. It does contain fragrance, though not in any significant amount.

One of the more interesting ingredients the toner contains is niacinamide (vitamin B3), an ingredient that when topically applied can increase ceramide and free fatty acid levels in skin, prevent skin from losing water content, and stimulate micro-circulation in the dermis.

It also contains aloe vera, which may be soothing to the skin, and chamomille, which acts as an anti-irritant and antioxidant.

Aside from making my skin feel good, I find that the Nivea Visage Moisturizing Toner is a great way to gently wipe away any flaky skin.

MemberMember
(@crazylikeafox)

Posted : 07/04/2006 5:20 am

Hey Snow_Queen, where do you get all this information from?

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 07/04/2006 6:36 am

crazylikeafox said:

Hey Snow_Queen, where do you get all this information from?

A lot of the information (especially that regarding skin irritants and chemical exfoliants) is from Paula Begoun, a cometics researcher who gleans her knowledge from sources like Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Molecular Cell Biology Research Communications, European Journal of Neuroscience, Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, Journal of Cell Physiology, British Journal of Dermatology, you get the idea...

Much of the information I've written about here can be found on Paula Begoun's website, [Removed link]

I also research certain things myself that I can find on the internet, as you can see by the links I posted in some of the responses.

MemberMember
(@conscientious)

Posted : 07/05/2006 11:35 am

I have been breaking out for the past month now. I mean constantly since my last period...right now I have two nice sized bumps with no heads on my forehead. I just recently went on micocycline with ReintA...but I am really leery about this in the long run. Also, I am having a horrible Initial Breakout. Plus, I just want something that I can maintain naturally on my own that I can maintain without having to take medication.

I am thinking of changing my diet (as I have chronic constipation and I think that has a lot to do with it), taking B5 and Omega 3's, and from looking at this post now my cleansing agents.

Is Paula's Choice in the stores?

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 07/07/2006 5:59 am

Conscientious said:

I have been breaking out for the past month now. I mean constantly since my last period...right now I have two nice sized bumps with no heads on my forehead. I just recently went on micocycline with ReintA...but I am really leery about this in the long run. Also, I am having a horrible Initial Breakout. Plus, I just want something that I can maintain naturally on my own that I can maintain without having to take medication.

I am thinking of changing my diet (as I have chronic constipation and I think that has a lot to do with it), taking B5 and Omega 3's, and from looking at this post now my cleansing agents.

Is Paula's Choice in the stores?

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with the initial breakout from Retin-A. Usually you're supposed to give prescription retinoids at least a three-month trial period, but if you're having a particularly bad time I can understand why you're considering stopping. If you do decide to stick it out but don't notice any improvement after the three months, some people have better success with other prescription retinoids like Differin or Tazorac, which don't use tretinoin.

I too would be cautious about the Minocycline, as not only do they carry certain health risks, but your p. acnes may also become resistant to them. Birth control pills may be helpful to you, but again these also have risks, one of which is melasma, which you may find to be even worse than acne.

Changing my diet has never been a factor in having clear skin for me personally, though some people have great success in doing so (I probably didn't do it right anyway). Even if a special diet and supplements don't do much for your acne, you'll hopefully be healthier overall.

Paula's Choice unfortunately isn't usually sold in stores, though it is my understanding that certain stores and spas do carry it. The problem is that these retailers are not listed on the website. The only retailer I knew of that carried Paula's Choice products was Come and Glow Day Spa in Michigan, and I don't even know if they're sold there anymore. You could try contacting Paula's Choice's customer service to learn about any retailers near you.

Websites that sell Paula's Choice that I know of are:

[Removed link] (currently has free shipping if you spend $40+)

http://www.ebay.com (usually has discounted products; shipping varies by seller)

[Removed link] (free shipping on 2+ products and some good discounts)

Also, I already posted this article in previous posts, but in case you didn't see it already, it has some great basic (but more in-depth than many other articles) information on treating acne:

[Removed link]

If you want to copy an over-the-counter regimen like what is shown in the article but don't want to use only Paula's Choice products, PM me.

MemberMember
(@someone111)

Posted : 07/12/2006 8:18 am

Um, yeah. I said that emu oil is not likely to clog pores in the first section. Please read before responding. Thanks.

When Buying Products

Don't Buy Cleansers That:

1. Contain harsh surfectants like sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate.

2. Are in bar form. These contain harsh cleansing agents like sodium cocoate, and the ingredients that keep them in bar form can be absorbed into the skin to clog pores. Also, many bar soaps have alkaline pH levels, which actually encourages bacterial growth.

3. Are scrubs containing uneven particles like walnut . These can tear at the skin and cause irritation. Look for scrubs with smooth, round, bead-like particles.

4. Contain waxy, pore-clogging thickeners. Products in cream form tend to have these.

5. Contain animal oils.* Animal oils resemble human sebum and can clog pores similarly.

4. Give a "tingly" or "cooling" feeling. That feeling is caused by skin irritants like menthol and camphor.

5. Are medicated. If the medication is salicylic acid, the cleanser is almost certain to have too high of a pH (over 4) to allow the salicylicylic acid to exfoliate. Chances are that the majority of any medictation used in a cleanser will be washed away before having any real effect.

* Emu oil for some reason seems to be an exception as it does not seem to be problematic for pores according to users on this site.

yea after all who can be bothered reading everything in that long post

Avoiding all topical ointments will be the first step to a healthy recovery, ive done it, and its helped me cheers.

MemberMember
(@newton22)

Posted : 07/12/2006 11:00 am

Very hot water on my skin, though painful, seems to help my acne.

MemberMember
(@the_snow_queen)

Posted : 07/13/2006 3:46 am

That could be because hot water can help bring clogs to the surface, making them easier to get rid of. However, if you're feeling pain that's definately not a good thing and is an indicator that you're damaging your skin.

Chances are you'll have better success using a less damaging regimen that consists of effectively formulated products.

Avoiding all topical ointments will be the first step to a healthy recovery, ive done it, and its helped me cheers.

You couldn't be bothered to read my entire post yet you took the time to reply not once but twice?

I disagree with the ditching all topicals approach (I'm assuming by "ointments" you mean "treatments"); topical treatments aren't evil and can be very beneficial to the skin when well-formulated.

Personally, my skin started breaking out when I was just washing my face with water, and cleared up after using the right treatments.

However, if you find that using a very simple and gentle regimen is what keeps you clear, do it.

MemberMember
(@someone111)

Posted : 07/13/2006 4:43 am

That could be because hot water can help bring clogs to the surface, making them easier to get rid of. However, if you're feeling pain that's definately not a good thing and is an indicator that you're damaging your skin.

Chances are you'll have better success using a less damaging regimen that consists of effectively formulated products.

You couldn't be bothered to read my entire post yet you took the time to reply not once but twice?

I disagree with the ditching all topicals approach (I'm assuming by "ointments" you mean "treatments"); topical treatments aren't evil and can be very beneficial to the skin when well-formulated.

Personally, my skin started breaking out when I was just washing my face with water, and cleared up after using the right treatments.

However, if you find that using a very simple and gentle regimen is what keeps you clear, do it.

i rmemberd i had posted something, went and looked for my name, by doing Ctrl + F, and then saw that you had replied to it, and i replied back, and i can assure you, i did not read your whole long post.