Notifications
Clear all

Sword's Dermabration by Dr. Y

MemberMember
(@mz43026)

Posted : 10/25/2006 3:06 pm

mz,

Some (too many!!) people are so critical of other's appearance, their words cut you like a knife and they really don't care. I have been there many times before. Although I complain about people laughing at my demarcation, etc, the truth their opinions is worthless. I can't afford to let that affect my confidence, neither can you. Please remember this when other people put you down. BTW people who put others down for no good reason are inferior people anyway. So that makes you the better = beautiful person in the room!!

As for what your sister said, if I were you I would tell her to give you her belongings if she kills herself because anyone can get ance scarring in one's life time. Of course, I don't want her to kill herself, just making my point.

Yarborough cut the line about 1 cm in front of my actual jaw line on the right, which makes the dermacation line look even more prominent. I question not just his "ethics" but also his precision and judgement. He talked about feathering the edges but all I see are perfect hard lines. Maybe feathering is impossible with darker asian skin. He left big patches of skin under my hair line undermabraded, imagine my hair stylist's assistants' reaction, whenever they wash my hair before the cut.

I have spent enough time looking for a solution for demarc line, I shall work on more important things in life and re-visit that when I feel like it. My local laser doc told me laser can easily cause hyperpigment on asian skin which can worsen the dermacation. But thanks for sharing your cousin's treatment and your encouragement.

For some reason I picture you in your formative years (late teen / early 20's). Having inner confidence will help you go a lot further in your life. I wish you the best.

Cheers,

Sword

I am 22 years old. Yes, I am loosing confidence due to acne scarring. My family knows that I am a type of person that cares about beauty and looking good. I can pretend to be happy around people but I am not when I'm alone. I am my worst critic sometimes. It is extremely tiring. I feel like I never look good unless I get my skin back. I get sad when people think that I am pretty because I would tell myself that they wouldn't of said it if they see me w/o makeup. I always thought that I could improve myself as I age and not becoming ugly instead. I'm letting the scars on my face control my life. My sister can be insensitive most of the times but she is very direct with her comments. She's a person that can't lie to your face. I know now that I can not erase all of my scars and I am just looking for improvements on the major areas. I am hoping I could get there with Fraxel treatments.

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 10/25/2006 9:00 pm

tricia,

I am glad to hear your red spots has improved and you have way to control it. I hope you only cover the spots but not the whole face because your skin needs to breathe. While make up may covers imperfection like you said, IMHO it is not good for the skin if you wear it for many hours a day.

Lots of people have flaws but if you do have a good self confidence and show others they don't bother you then it won't be as much of an issue. I remember a women at my old church who had the pigment disease where she had white patches all over her hands and arms but she didn't let it bother her and people accepted her and she had many friends. In the end it is what's inside that draws people to you. We just need that confidence!

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 10/25/2006 9:35 pm

I am 22 years old. Yes, I am loosing confidence due to acne scarring.

mz,

Is that your picture in your avator? You look extremely cute.

I should stop my urge to give you suggestions and expect you to feel confidence overnight, because confidence comes from journeys of self-discovery.

There are always people overly critical of other's physical "flaws" (yawn..) but their words means nothing. I understand your sister is being direct when criticizing your skin, but you can also accept yourself for who you are, and be direct and reply "so what is your point?".

On the other hand there are good people with natural tolerance to differences of others. Acne scars means nothing to these people. I mean no disrespect to your make up skills, but I doubt if make up can completely cover acne scars, be it shallow or severe. If someone says he thinks you are pretty, he says so because you simply are.

Physically training has shaped my mind and helped me reach my goals in the past. It also helped me recover from suicidal depression (resulted from dermabrasion aftermath) and be strong again. Why not invest some time to train at the gym? I am sure you will feel better about yourself, not to mention gaining some awesome physique.

I can go on and on but I don't want to bore you. Did I say you are cute.

Cheers,

Sword

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 10/26/2006 12:11 am

sword, I am glad you are rising above the shallow people and pushing past the obstacles you have had.

MZ, I understand how you are feeling especially with the comment your sister made, I actually had a girl at a makeup counter give me very pathetic sympathy before saying wow I just put my makeup on in the rearview mirror on the way to work, it would be so hard for me to have your problem, etc. She actually said that and she really couldn't do crap to cover my redness at the time although she did seem genuinely nice in other things she said and really wanted to help, I guess she just didn't understand how her comments seemed so rude. I was rather proud of how I handled it all though, because I have been thru so much in life before the skin problems, I think I am tougher and the skin problems have made me even more mature, you just have to let it do the same for you. I have got some better physically and some people in the right lighting really don't notice a problem with my skin because I am an expert with makeup like you. But there's nothing wrong with that and I don't feel fake like some do with it because the real me is who they get to know anyway not my outer appearance. Also I use mineral makeup now, and it is very healthy. There is so much more to us than just our skin that people will love and your sister will have to learn to live with imperfections one day be it from wrinkles, stretch marks, (my sister needs a tummy tuck after two kids) the list goes on.

MemberMember
(@leafsfan)

Posted : 10/26/2006 2:57 am

I am 22 years old. Yes, I am loosing confidence due to acne scarring. My family knows that I am a type of person that cares about beauty and looking good. I can pretend to be happy around people but I am not when I'm alone. I am my worst critic sometimes. It is extremely tiring. I feel like I never look good unless I get my skin back. I get sad when people think that I am pretty because I would tell myself that they wouldn't of said it if they see me w/o makeup. I always thought that I could improve myself as I age and not becoming ugly instead. I'm letting the scars on my face control my life. My sister can be insensitive most of the times but she is very direct with her comments. She's a person that can't lie to your face. I know now that I can not erase all of my scars and I am just looking for improvements on the major areas. I am hoping I could get there with Fraxel treatments.

Hey pretty little lady and everyone,

It's been a while since I log back. Guess a lot has been going on in my life to keep me so busy.

I had my dermbrasion on Nov 29th, 2004, almost two years ago. It was by Dr. Yarborough. People have asked me whether it was a success. It is for me. I have no visible dermacation line. My skin tone is normal. It is only red after I shower (redder than other parts of my body) because of the hot steam and such, but 5 mins later, it's back to normal again. I had horrible acne scars.. almost the worst kinds. Dermabrasion definitely smooths it out, although I regret not getting punch floats before the dermabrasion procedure to get rid of the deep pits. Of course, I still have visible scars but I knew that before heading into it. My expectation is to smoothen out the rough edges of my pitted scars and get rid of tiny ones. It did just that.

The reason why I am checking this board again is to decide whether I should go for another one. Sword and others made me a little timid about going for another one. Maybe I got "lucky" with the first one. Anyhow, I got a gf that thinks I'm hot stuff and friends that don't see or talk about my remaining scars. Some people even say a little scarring on men is manly? I don't know... it seems no one is bothered by it... therefore I won't care too. Besides, I don't think I have the patience to wait for three months for the dermacation line to go away as it did for my experience.

I had posted my pre-op and post-op pics but I was afraid I was getting too popular. I had 11,567 views and I felt a little antsy and apprehensive about the kind of attention I was getting, so I took it down. Please respect my decision.

Regarding healing rate, I have a theory and it's just a theory. It's been known that professional athletes heal at a faster rate than most average people for all kinds of injury. I think healing rate correlates with how fit and athletic you are. I work out regularly and I've been playing all kind of competitive sports at an early age. I got a twisted ankle from basketball, a separated shoulder from snowboarding, a broken thumb from soccer, a hyperextended arm from ice hockey, but I heal at a relatively fast rate.. maybe because the blood are circulated well to bring healing agents to injured sites??? I don't know. That could be the reason why I am at the stage where I am with regard to skin tone and dermacation line. My point is time heals everything. I think each person heals at a different rate. Do not despair too much. Give hope a chance.

Cheers,

Leafsfan.

p.s. another dermabrasion accompanied by punch floats will always be on the back of my mind. So I'll be back...

MemberMember
(@mz43026)

Posted : 10/26/2006 10:32 am

I am 22 years old. Yes, I am loosing confidence due to acne scarring.

mz,

Is that your picture in your avator? You look extremely cute.

I should stop my urge to give you suggestions and expect you to feel confidence overnight, because confidence comes from journeys of self-discovery.

There are always people overly critical of other's physical "flaws" (yawn..) but their words means nothing. I understand your sister is being direct when criticizing your skin, but you can also accept yourself for who you are, and be direct and reply "so what is your point?".

On the other hand there are good people with natural tolerance to differences of others. Acne scars means nothing to these people. I mean no disrespect to your make up skills, but I doubt if make up can completely cover acne scars, be it shallow or severe. If someone says he thinks you are pretty, he says so because you simply are.

Physically training has shaped my mind and helped me reach my goals in the past. It also helped me recover from suicidal depression (resulted from dermabrasion aftermath) and be strong again. Why not invest some time to train at the gym? I am sure you will feel better about yourself, not to mention gaining some awesome physique.

I can go on and on but I don't want to bore you. Did I say you are cute.

Cheers,

Sword

Yes that is a photo of me. I know when I'm miserable, it affects everyone around me. There was a time when I was very depressed, everyone was so sick and tired of me. I know that I also made them feel depressed. I've improved alot from then. I guess people w/o any problems see things more clearly than the ones that do. In a way, I'm afraid to let the truth sink in. Its just sad for me to get all of these scars from one major breakout. Also I realized that I should off left things alone and go see a doctor right away. I kept thinking that I could solve the problem with the treatments I read on this forum. It ended up helping but also causing more scars. I really regret doing TCA Cross though, it totally burn a hole on my scars and made one scar into a large chicken pox scar. Don't give me wrong, everyones skin is different and TCA worked for many people on here. That was my reason to try it in the first place. I guess we should be careful when treating our skin by ourself because we are not doctors. I am afraid to see my old friends and relatives right now. They always have a nice perception of me. Don't want them to see or know what I'm going through. My grandpa is a surgeon is China but I'm afraid to tell him about my skin also. I know if I did, he would blame it on my parents. I know that scars are permanent and that It won't ever go away. I want to believe that it will level out with proper treatments to almost normal skin. I want to be confortable with my skin w/o makeup. I'm trying to achieve that. Am I naive or giving myself false hope? I would love to tone up a bit especially on my arms and thighs. I've been watching my phsyics as well. Don't want to have weight problems either :).

I think makeup covers alot of my scars. Most of them are shallow so it disappear alittle bit and you can add on layers. I haven't been wearing makeup for couple months now. Its not very good for the skin. I only wore makeup when I was still in school. I also heard that you get old quicker from it. All I do now is applying some tinted sunscreen when I head out.

MemberMember
(@mz43026)

Posted : 10/26/2006 10:56 am

sword, I am glad you are rising above the shallow people and pushing past the obstacles you have had.

MZ, I understand how you are feeling especially with the comment your sister made, I actually had a girl at a makeup counter give me very pathetic sympathy before saying wow I just put my makeup on in the rearview mirror on the way to work, it would be so hard for me to have your problem, etc. She actually said that and she really couldn't do crap to cover my redness at the time although she did seem genuinely nice in other things she said and really wanted to help, I guess she just didn't understand how her comments seemed so rude. I was rather proud of how I handled it all though, because I have been thru so much in life before the skin problems, I think I am tougher and the skin problems have made me even more mature, you just have to let it do the same for you. I have got some better physically and some people in the right lighting really don't notice a problem with my skin because I am an expert with makeup like you. But there's nothing wrong with that and I don't feel fake like some do with it because the real me is who they get to know anyway not my outer appearance. Also I use mineral makeup now, and it is very healthy. There is so much more to us than just our skin that people will love and your sister will have to learn to live with imperfections one day be it from wrinkles, stretch marks, (my sister needs a tummy tuck after two kids) the list goes on.

I think people w/o skin problem doesn't know how to comfort us. My sister would tell me things like, do you remember you had perfect skin when all of this didn't happen. I don't dislike my sister or anything, I just think she doesn't understand it all. She doesn't think I'm ugly or anything, she just remembered me being decent looking, confident, and always happy. Another example; my mom would come home and tell me that she saw someone else with much worse scarring than me today and that I should feel better about it. She would also say that this person seemed so happy with him/herself. I always get upset about it because I feel sad for the person she bash about. I would tell her that she doesn't understand. I think we all put out our best faces when we meet strangers. I would tell her that she wouldn't know exctally how that person feels unless she lived with him/her. Couple weeks ago, she said that one of her friend's daugther had acne scarring too and she took her daughter to see doctors right away. I think she realize then what I'm going through happens to other people too. I would tell her that at least her mom takes initiative for her daughter. I say that only when I'm angry because my mom has always been busy with work. I guess I'm still overly sensitive on this topic.

My sister has imperfections as well. She was depressed back in high school and ate alot. I guess, I didn't understand her problems either because I never been fat. But I remember I was there to help her by motivating her to exercise and running in the track. I kindda thought she would do the same for me. She wasn't depressed for as long as I am though. I personally think loosing weight is much easier than having scars on our face. She lost alot of weight and is skinny now but she's still got loose skin.

Also having acne scars has help me realized the people that truely cared about me. I have to say I am dissapointed in my sister though. Overall, I'm glad I know about it.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 10/26/2006 7:12 pm

Mz,

sisters can be insensitive, all family members can, don't let it get you down. I know it is a serious matter for us but we can't let it rule our lives we need to do what we can then put it in it's proper corner in our mind. That's what I'm trying to do for now!

MemberMember
(@hopesprings)

Posted : 10/26/2006 7:49 pm

People are so utterly stupid. I don't shut up anymore if people make remarks about my skin which actually happens rarely but I lash out at them and point their faults whatever they may be. They deserve it.

Let me tell you about what happened with my sister (she's 12 years older than I am).

She never had great skin either but she never suffered acne for as long as I did and it didn't leave any visible scars. But she should have known better still.

She developed this habit of pointing out every zit I had every time she saw me. Now, she has known me my whole life and she knows the horrors I suffered because of it, so what would be the point to point it out all the time? I used to ignore her remarks completely which more than insulting, they were very annoying to me. They were particularly annoying because she would point it out when I had 2-3 small zits and the rest of my skin was clear.

Then, one day she again comes to visit and again points out my 2-3 zits (which I usually get before my period) and I E-X-P-L-O-D-E-D! I started screaming at her "Do you really think that if you don't tell me I have a few zits, I don't see them myself? Do you think that if you point it out to me, to make it clear you and the rest of the world notice them, , they will magically clear of themselves? Do I tell you you are fat and ugly and have a saggy face?"

So, she stopped doing it!

I don't shut up anymore because I suffer enough seeing my less than perfect skin. I don't have to be a sponge for other people's insults or arrogance and I don't need to feel like a doormat for not replying.

Anyone making mean comments to you? Find their faults and throw it back at them (everybody has faults). Maybe they will think twice the next time they want to insult somebody else.

MemberMember
(@mz43026)

Posted : 10/26/2006 8:53 pm

I agree. I'm not mean to people unless they are with me. Its just I changed alot from having acne scars. I use to be very mean and I didn't listen to anyone. I guess I deserve to know how it feels on the opposite end. But my sister moved out already so we don't argue anymore. Now if she insulted me I tend to keep it to myself and get her back when I have the chance. If she is fat, I say she's skinny just so she could gain more weight. If some stranger says aweful things to me, I don't think I would take it to the heart. I would definately argue back.

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 10/26/2006 10:32 pm

Anyhow, I got a gf that thinks I'm hot stuff and friends that don't see or talk about my remaining scars.

Leaf,

I remember your pictures, you have much lighter skin tone than me (between II and III, definitely not a IV), but the good thing is your escaped the fate of persistent redness, not all of us who fell for what Yarborough said are that lucky. 3 months for redness to disappear? What BS!! It is now almost 2 years for me too.

IMO I think its your increased confidence that wins you your gf. Good to hear you are doing good.

Thanks tricia. I know you are a good fighter too , keep up the good work!!

LOL, I am sorry but your sister was an idiot. She should have seen it coming years ago. I am surprised someone can spend so much energy rubbing sand on a sibling's wound. First its not right, second don't they have better things to say / do.

Also having acne scars has help me realized the people that truely cared about me. I have to say I am dissapointed in my sister though. Overall, I'm glad I know about it.

mz,

You know what, 22 is a great time to build the life you want. The dermabrasion disaster is a wake up call for me, I realized how many years I wasted obsessing with my scars. It is ironic now that I suffer much worse than just scarring (demarcation and redness), I am so set out to live a full life.

Cheers,

Sword

MemberMember
(@chocolat_amer)

Posted : 10/31/2006 1:56 pm

People are so utterly stupid. I don't shut up anymore if people make remarks about my skin which actually happens rarely but I lash out at them and point their faults whatever they may be. They deserve it.

Let me tell you about what happened with my sister (she's 12 years older than I am).

She never had great skin either but she never suffered acne for as long as I did and it didn't leave any visible scars. But she should have known better still.

She developed this habit of pointing out every zit I had every time she saw me. Now, she has known me my whole life and she knows the horrors I suffered because of it, so what would be the point to point it out all the time? I used to ignore her remarks completely which more than insulting, they were very annoying to me. They were particularly annoying because she would point it out when I had 2-3 small zits and the rest of my skin was clear.

Then, one day she again comes to visit and again points out my 2-3 zits (which I usually get before my period) and I E-X-P-L-O-D-E-D! I started screaming at her "Do you really think that if you don't tell me I have a few zits, I don't see them myself? Do you think that if you point it out to me, to make it clear you and the rest of the world notice them, , they will magically clear of themselves? Do I tell you you are fat and ugly and have a saggy face?"

I don't shut up anymore because I suffer enough seeing my less than perfect skin. I don't have to be a sponge for other people's insults or arrogance and I don't need to feel like a doormat for not replying.

Anyone making mean comments to you? Find their faults and throw it back at them (everybody has faults). Maybe they will think twice the next time they want to insult somebody else.

but if i reacted this way to everryone who makes me superangry about my skin I would be an angry person indeed. I find that the cold calm silence creeps people out much more. just my 2 cents

MemberMember
(@wasting_days_away)

Posted : 10/31/2006 3:46 pm

but if i reacted this way to everryone who makes me superangry about my skin I would be an angry person indeed. I find that the cold calm silence creeps people out much more. just my 2 cents

There are some people who are just oblivious of what hey say so they need to be put into their place.

MemberMember
(@sunblock101)

Posted : 11/22/2006 2:29 pm

I am wondering Sword, if you will try and tan it out evenly. I felt that when I started to tan some 2 years after my dermabrasion it smoothed out but yeah, you can still see a small difference in color on my jaw too. I am more confident about my face though than ever, plus for girls we can hide our neck with our hair. Sometimes when my neck is exposed I feel that someone could be wondering what the hell is wrong with my jawline.

Dr. Y dermabrasion Nov. 2004

Possibly looking for one more!! with punch floats

Asian.

MemberMember
(@sword)

Posted : 11/23/2006 12:11 am

Compare to my dark neck, my face only has a small fraction of pigment left and is always red. I don't hide my neck, so people clearly sees the demarcation before my jaw line and my hairline for that matter.

I suppose improving the appearance of scars is is worth the dermcation to you. If that's the case good for you because demarcation and shiny texture does not hit you as hard as it does me.

Make no mistake, John Yarborough was not honest about the extreme long down time and serious complications so many of us experienced from his dermabrasion. It is one thing if people are fully informed and still decide to have dermabrasion, but to mislead and cause so much pain for his victims is just pure crime.

MemberMember
(@dingdingding)

Posted : 07/28/2007 10:11 am

more pics in my gallery -- dunno if dermabrasion really helped :(

Hi Stts,

I checked out you gallery pictures. Didn't see any before the dermabrasion pics though.

I would classify your type of scarring as mild. Realistically we have all seen much worse. Yours is the type that at times is unoticable, other times is visible, but does not really detract from your overall looks. This is my opinion based on the photos of you I have seen.

The oddest thing occured to me the other day. I have a freind, a guy around my age, who is and always has been very handsome. Since grade school woman have been all over this guy. Besides looks, he is very funny and charismatic.

Anyway, we were in a restaraunt and the light from out side was at such an angle that it highlighted a part of his cheek. It created a shadow effect. I noticed that my freind had 3 moderate type of crater scars on the upper side of his cheek. In 30 years of seeing this guy at least once a week, of knowing him very personally, I had never noticed them before. I was surprised to say the least.

The thing is they did not detract form his looks at all. I always considered my freind kinda flawless in the looks department. Just goes to show you, like Brad Pitt I guess, you can have imperfections but your overall personality so much overshadows the flaws they become invisible. There is a lesson here somewhere for all of us who obsess over our scars.

My advice to many is to take a break from looking in the mirror for awhile. We peer at the imperfections untill they loom larger than they do to others. Sometimes you need to back up, take a breath, laugh, throw down the mirror and decide today I will be happy, despite my obssesion with my skin. For one day I will get over myself. If not, I'm heading for a nervous breakdown. Somewhere, self preservation has to come into play.

James

MemberMember
(@khira02)

Posted : 08/31/2009 7:47 am

I pretty much slept until this morning. Eating and drinking in my first mask was ... difficult. Blowing the nose was also a challenge .. I was so glad when Cassandra took the mask off this morning. Considering my derm was in the afternoon and it had been less than 24 hours, she said I am making good progress.