Notifications
Clear all

Acne scarring help

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/29/2020 10:50 am

14 hours ago, KRJP said:

Do you have any links to those accounts?

Based on what BA and a few other users have said in the forum posts, TCA CROSS is supposed to widen the scar while raising the scar bed, making it ideal for a resurfacing procedure after. That isn't something I've read on any official doctor's site, and makes me wonder about its mechanisms. 1% vs 5% vs 25% is a huge difference.

Re: subcision and microneedling: did you find either of the procedures painful?

That's good to hear. Does he give a realistic idea of how much improvement one might expect, along with the risks involved?

It sounds like Korea's dermatology culture is much more advanced than Japan's. Japan focuses more on gentle preventive skincare, which is nice but not really the best for people dealing with problems that can't be alleviated so easily. I still kind of worry that they may not have the experience to deal with my skin type, but it would definitely be more convenient location-wise.

Have you ever had any treatments done in Korea?

I read a few cases of that happening on this forum.

Subcision was not as painful as microneedling for me. Dr. Rullan did a good job at numbing my areas. I would describe the feeling as awkward. He didn't give any expectations of improvement or talk about risks.

Don't know anything about Korea. Sorry!

MemberMember
(@miro)

Posted : 07/29/2020 11:53 am

7 hours ago, colorful said:

In fact, lasers should have been more effective in deep scars. There is a doctor I am researching, using Icon Fractioal Laser and Youlaser Mt devices. Icon laser was safe for all skin types. He is a successful doctor in lasers, but I guess, although the provider is good, there is always risk, right? I'm very afraid of the risks. My scars are also shallow, so maybe they can pass most of the laser. Which laser treatment did you receive, how many intervals and how many sessions?

If scar is tethered which deep scars usualy are, no laser in the world will release tethers, u need to surgicaly cut tethers - subcision

If scar is really deep, usually theres fat layer affected and this is permanent damage, u can replace it only with filler, thats why subcision with filler is best for deep acne scars.

But maybe in future medicine will come up with solution who knows.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/29/2020 9:28 pm

On 7/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, KRJP said:

Do you have any links to those accounts?

Based on what BA and a few other users have said in the forum posts, TCA CROSS is supposed to widen the scar while raising the scar bed, making it ideal for a resurfacing procedure after. That isn't something I've read on any official doctor's site, and makes me wonder about its mechanisms. 1% vs 5% vs 25% is a huge difference.

Re: subcision and microneedling: did you find either of the procedures painful?

That's good to hear. Does he give a realistic idea of how much improvement one might expect, along with the risks involved?

It sounds like Korea's dermatology culture is much more advanced than Japan's. Japan focuses more on gentle preventive skincare, which is nice but not really the best for people dealing with problems that can't be alleviated so easily. I still kind of worry that they may not have the experience to deal with my skin type, but it would definitely be more convenient location-wise.

Have you ever had any treatments done in Korea?

Just wanted to let you know that you should treat the scars that really bug you so that you're ok with the risks of any treatment.

When I saw Dr. Rullan during my first visit, he did subcision and applied Phenol Cross wherever he saw scars. I didn't notice any improvement (maybe 4-6 weeks was too early) but my scars didn't get any worse. Then during my second visit about two months later, he asked me to mark the scars that I wanted treated. Not only did he treat those scars, he treated thescars near them. I didn't have an issue with those other scars so I was a bit disappointed. There was very small area where I didn't even see a scar (maybe it looked like one to him)and he put acid on it. This caused a little line that looks like a tiny divot if you look really close.

Don't be afraid to tell him not to treat some areas. I will probably see him once or twice more but only limit him to the deep scars.

MemberMember
(@chazz-jogiegmail-com)

Posted : 07/30/2020 1:51 am

4 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

Just wanted to let you know that you should treat the scars that really bug you so that you're ok with the risks of any treatment.

When I saw Dr. Rullan during my first visit, he did subcision and applied Phenol Cross wherever he saw scars. I didn't notice any improvement (maybe 4-6 weeks was too early) but my scars didn't get any worse. Then during my second visit about two months later, he asked me to mark the scars that I wanted treated. Not only did he treat those scars, he treated thescars near them. I didn't have an issue with those other scars so I was a bit disappointed. There was very small area where I didn't even see a scar (maybe it looked like one to him)and he put acid on it. This caused a little line that looks like a tiny divot if you look really close.

Don't be afraid to tell him not to treat some areas. I will probably see him once or twice more but only limit him to the deep scars.

The Korea question was directed @kitsliv45.

I still don't know if my icepick scars are actually "deep enough" for CROSS. I think that's one reason why I need to have an in-person consultation with Dr. Rullan before I decide on any treatments. If they're not that deep, than maybe a regular chemical peel would be a better option.

You mentioned that some of your boxcar scars widened. How many would you say widened, and how many improved? Did you have any icepick scars at all?

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 07/30/2020 3:25 am

1 hour ago, KRJP said:

The Korea question was directed @kitsliv45.

I still don't know if my icepick scars are actually "deep enough" for CROSS. I think that's one reason why I need to have an in-person consultation with Dr. Rullan before I decide on any treatments. If they're not that deep, than maybe a regular chemical peel would be a better option.

You mentioned that some of your boxcar scars widened. How many would you say widened, and how many improved? Did you have any icepick scars at all?

About 3 got deeper and 2 improved. The others had no change. Keep in mind that it takes up to several months to see changes so maybe I wasn't patient enough. I got fractional CO2 laser a month after my 2nd session with Dr. Rullan and two of those scars that got deeper ended up lookingbetter. Another thing to consider is that I mentioned that the scars that got deeper were flatter boxcar scars without deep borders. I don't think most patients have these types of scars.

Chemical peels may help scars but I'm sure you know that their effect isn't as powerful as the harsher treatments. Also, it takes a while so you really have to be patient. That's kinda the hardest thing for all of us since we want immediate results.

MemberMember
(@chazz-jogiegmail-com)

Posted : 07/30/2020 4:58 am

1 hour ago, Amanda Hall said:

About 3 got deeper and 2 improved. The others had no change. Keep in mind that it takes up to several months to see changes so maybe I wasn't patient enough. I got fractional CO2 laser a month after my 2nd session with Dr. Rullan and two of those scars that got deeper ended up lookingbetter. Another thing to consider is that I mentioned that the scars that got deeper were flatter boxcar scars without deep borders. I don't think most patients have these types of scars.

Chemical peels may help scars but I'm sure you know that their effect isn't as powerful as the harsher treatments. Also, it takes a while so you really have to be patient. That's kinda the hardest thing for all of us since we want immediate results.

I see! Would you mind putting up a photo or two of your scars for reference?

And hmm, I would much rather have a series of gentle treatments that are safer than have more intense treatments that could backfire. I get the impression that microneedling, subcision, and CROSS is Dr. Rullan's "standard combo," but I want to inquire more about the other chemical peels that he does given his reputation for them.

MemberMember
(@zeynepppp_000hotmail-com)

Posted : 07/30/2020 6:18 am

18 hours ago, Miro said:

If scar is tethered which deep scars usualy are, no laser in the world will release tethers, u need to surgicaly cut tethers - subcision

If scar is really deep, usually theres fat layer affected and this is permanent damage, u can replace it only with filler, thats why subcision with filler is best for deep acne scars.

But maybe in future medicine will come up with solution who knows.

I think a chemical peel might be effective for very superficial scarring. (If you're talking about a full-face peel.) Can the number of chemical peels be increased and more effects can be seen? But as you say, it will take a slow and long time.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/01/2020 2:26 am

On 7/30/2020 at 2:58 AM, KRJP said:

I see! Would you mind putting up a photo or two of your scars for reference?

And hmm, I would much rather have a series of gentle treatments that are safer than have more intense treatments that could backfire. I get the impression that microneedling, subcision, and CROSS is Dr. Rullan's "standard combo," but I want to inquire more about the other chemical peels that he does given his reputation for them.

I'm too lazy and I just don't want to put photos up. Sorry! LOL

I'm not familiar with Dr. Rullan's peels. It's been mentioned that he is the President of some peel club/society but that's all I know. Can someone else educate us? If they are basic peels you can do yourself at home safely, I'm not sure it's worth it to travel to him to get those done..... unless you live in SoCal.

The "triple threat" is what he suggests for most patients.

MemberMember
(@mfishler1gmail-com)

Posted : 08/02/2020 12:25 am

21 hours ago, Amanda Hall said:

I'm not familiar with Dr. Rullan's peels. It's been mentioned that he is the President of some peel club/society but that's all I know. Can someone else educate us? If they are basic peels you can do yourself at home safely, I'm not sure it's worth it to travel to him to get those done..... unless you live in SoCal.

Dr. Rullanis supposed to be a masterwith peels. He has taught other derms around the world of his methods (although, I cant seem to find a list or any other evidence of this. If anyone has this info, please share!). Also, the user, f93d, had a deepphenol peel with him, and he documented his results well. Screwscars also explains his/herexperience with Rullans phenol peel. Theirthreadsarein the FAQ page under successful stories.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/02/2020 12:39 am

12 minutes ago, squeezeMcQueen said:

Dr. Rullanis supposed to be a masterwith peels. He has taught other derms around the world of his methods (although, I cant seem to find a list or any other evidence of this. If anyone has this info, please share!). Also, the user, f93d, had a deepphenol peel with him, and he documented his results well. Screwscars also explains his/herexperience with Rullans phenol peel. Theirthreadsarein the FAQ page under successful stories.

Phenol peels are the most extreme. I don't think most people here would get them. What about more superficial peels? Is it worth getting it with him?

MemberMember
(@mfishler1gmail-com)

Posted : 08/02/2020 12:49 am

6 minutes ago, Amanda Hall said:

Phenol peels are the most extreme. I don't think most people here would get them. What about more superficial peels? Is it worth getting it with him?

That I cant say, but the risk lowers with the peels chemical concentration. So for a lighter peel, I couldntjustify flying to his practice. There are most likely reputable cosmetic surgeons within driving distance who would do a good job, no matter where you live.

MemberMember
(@chazz-jogiegmail-com)

Posted : 08/03/2020 8:18 pm

On 8/1/2020 at 4:26 PM, Amanda Hall said:

No worries.

I think part of the reason why Dr. Rullan comes highly recommended is because of his history and experience with scar revision in general. Even if someone else can do lighter peels, it makes more sense to trust a doctor who does them more frequently.

I'm still in the process of consulting with his office staff. I'm not very impressed so far; a lot of the answers are stock replies.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/04/2020 4:37 pm

20 hours ago, KRJP said:

No worries.

I think part of the reason why Dr. Rullan comes highly recommended is because of his history and experience with scar revision in general. Even if someone else can do lighter peels, it makes more sense to trust a doctor who does them more frequently.

I'm still in the process of consulting with his office staff. I'm not very impressed so far; a lot of the answers are stock replies.

Amy is pretty bad with communication so you may have to call the front desk. It helps if you have the procedure you're doing in an email. During my first visit, they were not planning on treating me with one of the triple threats......... a bit disorganized they are.

Dr. Rullan would be good for Phenol Cross and subcision. BA said here that he's not the best with lasers. Microneedling can be done yourself or with someone else who's gentle.

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 08/08/2020 10:56 am

Just a small thing but important. Mark the scars/boards of the scars yourself. Because nobody knows your scars better then you. Check after the work done and ask to do the missed places. Do not leave it to the Dr. He sees many patients, he can not remember every small scar..

MemberMember
(@chazz-jogiegmail-com)

Posted : 08/18/2020 4:31 am

On 8/9/2020 at 12:56 AM, Sibel said:

Just a small thing but important. Mark the scars/boards of the scars yourself. Because nobody knows your scars better then you. Check after the work done and ask to do the missed places. Do not leave it to the Dr. He sees many patients, he can not remember every small scar.

Thanks for the advice.

I have another update. After a long series of emails with Amy, Dr. Rullan apparently decided that it wasn't a good fit and that I should look towards seeing a different practitioner. I think my discomfort with subcision was part of the reason why, but I also think that he didn't take well to my questions about Phenol and possibly starting off with a mild TCA peel as advised in the forum. *shrug*

Mixed feelings. I know how highly most people here speak of him, but I also didn't feel like I was being treated as an individual in my interactions with the office. And $150 for a 15 minute Skype consultation is price gouging.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/18/2020 6:24 am

2 hours ago, KRJP said:

Thanks for the advice.

I have another update. After a long series of emails with Amy, Dr. Rullan apparently decided that it wasn't a good fit and that I should look towards seeing a different practitioner. I think my discomfort with subcision was part of the reason why, but I also think that he didn't take well to my questions about Phenol and possibly starting off with a mild TCA peel as advised in the forum. *shrug*

Mixed feelings. I know how highly most people here speak of him, but I also didn't feel like I was being treated as an individual in my interactions with the office. And $150 for a 15 minute Skype consultation is price gouging.

Unfortunately, it is so. You've got to thread very carefully with doctors. They usually don't like it when their expertise is being questioned.Dr Weiner in the USA is also a very good practitioner, you can contact him.

But honestly I wouldn't bother if I were you. The scarring is so minimal and nobody is perfect. I'd focus on /spend the money on more pleasant things than scar treatments.

MemberMember
(@chazz-jogiegmail-com)

Posted : 08/18/2020 8:21 pm

13 hours ago, MihaelaP said:

Unfortunately, it is so. You've got to thread very carefully with doctors. They usually don't like it when their expertise is being questioned.Dr Weiner in the USA is also a very good practitioner, you can contact him.

But honestly I wouldn't bother if I were you. The scarring is so minimal and nobody is perfect. I'd focus on /spend the money on more pleasant things than scar treatments.

This is true. Frankly, though, if a doctor can't stand questions, I probably will not proceed with them. Too much arrogance permeates this field.

And thank you. I might not do anything in the long run. Right now, I'm in the information gathering process, and once that's done, I think I'll see how I feel from there.

Your replies on this thread have been very supportive, and I'm appreciative of that.

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/20/2020 9:56 am

On 8/18/2020 at 6:21 PM, KRJP said:

This is true. Frankly, though, if a doctor can't stand questions, I probably will not proceed with them. Too much arrogance permeates this field.

And thank you. I might not do anything in the long run. Right now, I'm in the information gathering process, and once that's done, I think I'll see how I feel from there.

Your replies on this thread have been very supportive, and I'm appreciative of that.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:21 PM, KRJP said:

Sorry that you got that negative response from Dr. Rullan's office. I'm guessing that patients who have overt doubts will end up on doctors' bad side. This is not just with Dr. Rullan. Some doctors know that despitewhatever they do, they know or fear that their patients will never be completely satisfied so it's not worth treating them. Although you seem like a nice person, it may not be worth their time and a potential headache. Let's be honest: doctors make really good money and they can afford to skip treatment with a patient.