Notifications
Clear all

I need advice on what to do with my scars.

MemberMember
(@corychunghotmail-com)

Posted : 07/03/2020 2:25 am

Hi, I'm 20 years old currently with acne for 6 years now. I started using retin-a and have seen major improvements to my skin, however they fully don't go away. Should I try using accutane to get rid of acne completely? And im not comfortable using oral antibiotics.

Also, what should I do for my acne scars to have baby skin/fine texture? I really want it :/

7FB87543-30A3-49AB-9A31-CB762F863857.png

CA9763C1-6B89-44BA-BD62-39E035FA625A.jpeg

1060192E-5672-498F-B2C9-92CD06DC5700.jpeg

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 07/03/2020 1:50 pm

11 hours ago, coryc said:

Hi, I'm 20 years old currently with acne for 6 years now. I started using retin-a and have seen major improvements to my skin, however they fully don't go away. Should I try using accutane to get rid of acne completely? And im not comfortable using oral antibiotics.

Accutane is usually prescribed for severe cystic acne. But if they are not completely going away, you might want to consult with your derm. Ask for a low dosage acutane/isotretinoin. There's a study that indicatesthat lower daily dose of accutane works just as well compared to the higher dose.

https://bpac.org.nz/BPJ/2013/November/docs/BPJ56-acne.pdf

As for treatment, either laser or TCA will be just fine. Good luck.

coryc liked
MemberMember
(@matt1274)

Posted : 07/03/2020 3:07 pm

You barely even have scars.. cure your acne first and do some mild peels for these superficial scars.

Just now, Matt1274 said:

You barely even have scars.. cure your acne first and do some mild peels for these superficial scars.

I liked a low isotretinoin dose with water only regimen. That cured my severe acne

coryc liked
MemberMember
(@corychunghotmail-com)

Posted : 07/04/2020 1:34 am

p

11 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:

Accutane is usually prescribed for severe cystic acne. But if they are not completely going away, you might want to consult with your derm. Ask for a low dosage acutane/isotretinoin. There's a study that indicatesthat lower daily dose of accutane works just as well compared to the higher dose.

https://bpac.org.nz/BPJ/2013/November/docs/BPJ56-acne.pdf

As for treatment, either laser or TCA will be just fine. Good luck.

10 hours ago, Matt1274 said:

I liked a low isotretinoin dose with water only regimen. That cured my severe acne

thank you guys so much!! will take both of ur advice

MemberMember
(@anonymous682)

Posted : 07/04/2020 9:57 am

Go on accutane/isotretinoin. It sounds very scary and there is heavy regulation dueto severe complications it causes pregnant women, but I have had no major side effects besides dry skin and lips. Its liberating though, it removes acne from your life without the need for constant nightly creams.

Your scars are mild, barely noticeable, no one will think about them besides you. If I had taken accutane at your age mine would look like that too. Unfortunately I waited till 25 and now have moderate scarring.take action now to prevent future ones. At the end of an isotretinoin course you will thank us. Then do some work with an experienced derm once accutane has ended for 6 months.

coryc liked
MemberMember
(@corychunghotmail-com)

Posted : 07/06/2020 8:26 am

thanks for the reply. i will try to get an accutane prescription now. and honestly those scars were in good lighting let me try scar lighting with increased saturation to show the scars (i look funny ha). Im gonna try accutane + tca cross + couple sessions of fraxel lasers, and after all that Ill probably take care of my skin with retin-a + korean beauty skin routine. 

I will update you guys on how my skin looks after accutane, and show you guys periodic progress thereafter. 

8FDAE70F-82B8-462F-A1DA-2DBE2BAAC987.jpeg

MemberMember
(@sandels777)

Posted : 07/06/2020 12:39 pm

I am 44. I went on accutane in my late 20's. I wish I didn't. My body hurt so much when I was on it. It makes me wonder what it did to me internally. For years after treatment I have been tired and deal with inflammation in my body. I don't recommend it personally. However, there are really good lasers out there that will help with these scars. I had these kinds of scars and I did fraxel about 12 years ago... 4 times. my skin looks great. It's not perfect and I accept it will never be, but i accept it and am happy. I would recommend checking out Dr David Lim on instagram ...I think that's his name...he's from australia. I often see and hear him sharing really good logical information that I would use. I don't know much about TCA peel, TCA cross, subcision or punch grafts...but it's something to look into.

coryc liked
MemberMember
(@dodgerguy)

Posted : 07/07/2020 12:57 am

Take care of the acne first, then do scar treatments after. No point in doing TCA CROSS if you keep breaking out. Could be something youre eating causing acne, or something else. See a dermatologist to get recommendations, whether that be isotretinoin or a retinoids like Retin-A.

coryc liked
MemberMember
(@anonymous682)

Posted : 07/07/2020 8:13 am

This photo doesn't change much, your scars are mild box car scarring/icepick, which are the kinds of scars that respond best to treatment. Tbh if you are just left with this at the end of treatment for your acne it might not even be worth it to treat the scars. See a derm, treat the acne, go on retin a afterwards.

19 hours ago, Sandels777 said:

I am 44. I went on accutane in my late 20's. I wish I didn't. My body hurt so much when I was on it. It makes me wonder what it did to me internally. For years after treatment I have been tired and deal with inflammation in my body. I don't recommend it personally. However, there are really good lasers out there that will help with these scars. I had these kinds of scars and I did fraxel about 12 years ago... 4 times. my skin looks great. It's not perfect and I accept it will never be, but i accept it and am happy. I would recommend checking out Dr David Lim on instagram ...I think that's his name...he's from australia. I often see and hear him sharing really good logical information that I would use. I don't know much about TCA peel, TCA cross, subcision or punch grafts...but it's something to look into.

There is evidence to show a link between isotretinoin and inflammation issues post treatment, but nothing is concrete. Acne suffers are predisposition-ed to inflammation disorders since that is what acne is. Be sure to fully discuss concerns with your derm, including the modern approach of a low dose course over the old cumulativedosing.

Sandels777 and coryc liked
MemberMember
(@corychunghotmail-com)

Posted : 07/07/2020 12:16 pm

3 hours ago, anonymous682 said:

This photo doesn't change much, your scars are mild box car scarring/icepick, which are the kinds of scars that respond best to treatment. Tbh if you are just left with this at the end of treatment for your acne it might not even be worth it to treat the scars. See a derm, treat the acne, go on retin a afterwards.

There is evidence to show a link between isotretinoin and inflammation issues post treatment, but nothing is concrete. Acne suffers are predisposition-ed to inflammation disorders since that is what acne is. Be sure to fully discuss concerns with your derm, including the modern approach of a low dose course over the old cumulativedosing.

Talked to my doctor, i got to get some blood work and im starting out at 30 mg. That is true, im gonna have to see how the scars look after thetexture/hyperpigmentation/acne is gone after isotretinoin to see if its even worth treating. Then again I feel like I should still treat my acne scars even if theyre minor. Im always trying to become the best version of myself. I will definetely be using retin-a in my life onwards because it really does help with the aging process.

23 hours ago, Sandels777 said:

I am aware of Doctor David Lim and he talks extensively about tca cross/lasers. I think i will continue with accutane knowing the risks. thank you

MemberMember
(@anonymous682)

Posted : 07/07/2020 12:25 pm

Just now, coryc said:

Talked to my doctor, i got to get some blood work and im starting out at 30 mg. That is true, im gonna have to see how the scars look after thetexture/hyperpigmentation/acne is gone after isotretinoin to see if its even worth treating. Then again I feel like I should still treat my acne scars even if theyre minor. Im always trying to become the best version of myself. I will definetely be using retin-a in my life onwards because it really does help with the aging process.

Good man! Glad to hear and best of luck. The ambition to be the best version of yourself is great, take this with you into your professional life. Don't forget your aquaphor for the next few months.

coryc liked
MemberMember
(@sandels777)

Posted : 07/12/2020 1:43 am

All the best to you! 

coryc liked
MemberMember
(@corychunghotmail-com)

Posted : 07/21/2021 1:52 am

FINAL UPDATE 

I was on accutane/isotretinoin for 3 months and then stopped 4 months ago. sorry i should of updated sooner haha. 

Reason for stopping was because i got really bad rashes  all over my body. like patches of itchy red swollen bumps, not extreme though. 

I dont really break out anymore. i do still obviously have scars. I never did any other treatment yet, i dont think it is necessary. I'll just live with my scars, but we'll see. overall i am still happy.

I encounter dried skin on face,  being easily sunburnt, cracked lips, dry eyes, sensitivity to light when i was on accutane. I did develop a small hairless spot on my head that i still have. I heard it takes a year for it to go away. We will see. 

Overall, it worked. I personally recommend it. Thanks. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

this was when it was pretty bad, back then. i do have worse ones but i cant find them. 

0D3CB5AA-2C26-45C0-BF3F-0FB170C14698.jpeg

97D3897E-332B-4AEA-917C-6622AA407986.jpeg

99507495-517E-442D-90EE-84DD576B411D.jpeg

D3C04C79-AB45-4A70-A04C-15E5A8754204.jpeg

FB940C93-5D59-40CD-A6E9-7A57F07BAD0B.jpeg