Notifications
Clear all

Hypopigmentation+-+loss+of+skin+colour

MemberMember
(@goodbyescars)

Posted : 01/15/2018 1:18 pm

What methods can I use to get rid of a small hypopigmentation patch on my cheek? I got this by burning myself with TCA a few years ago.

I have tried tacrolimus but it hasn't helped much. I live in the UK if that makes any difference.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/15/2018 1:26 pm

I also have lots of hypopigmented scars on my body and from what I've read that it's extremely unlikely for pigment to return and extremely difficult to treat it...

From memory there is a potential for improvement with something like:

- Vitiligo treatment
- Permanent tattooing
- Semi-permanent makeup

Even natural remedies like ginger have had some potential success stories...

Also a quick Google mentions other things [removed]

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 01/15/2018 4:31 pm

3 hours ago, goodbyescars said:

What methods can I use to get rid of a small hypopigmentation patch on my cheek? I got this by burning myself with TCA a few years ago.

I have tried tacrolimus but it hasn't helped much. I live in the UK if that makes any difference.

Try DMSO + Rosehip Oil

Rosehip oil is very good for evening out the pigmentation issues while DMSO will help penetrate the oil deeper into the skin. Be sure to clean both face and hands before using the DMSO.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/16/2018 3:46 am

This is in the FAQ - top of the scar solutions sub (first post 😉 

WHAT IS: HYPOPIGMENTATION 
     - white spots (loss of pigment)

Q: What Is Hypopigmentation? 
A: Hypopigmentation is: Vitiligo, pigment loss due to burns, scars, skin discoloration.

littekens2.jpg

MemberMember
(@obi-wan)

Posted : 01/17/2018 4:49 am

Try microneedling and Latiesse... its an old treatment but it could work. Adjunctive nUVB hand held light to stimulate pigment cells to produce melanin. Miconeedling does NOT need to go deep as melanocytes are only 100 microns, so a 0.25 needle will suffice. Latiesse is a Prostaglandin inhibitor, and the science is solid. Microneedlie and latiesse every 1 to 2 weeks. Follow the UVB therapy 3 times a week. Honle from Germany makes the best devices. If all else fails ReCell has been shown to help ... success rate is around 40% at best for re cell. This is melanocyte harvest. All the best. It can take up to 6 month to regiment. Slow process.

MemberMember
(@goodbyescars)

Posted : 01/21/2018 8:17 am

Thank you for the help. It looks like Latiesse is my option as those lasers will likely not be available here in the UK.

My question now is where can I buy Latiesse in the UK?

MemberMember
(@goodbyescars)

Posted : 01/23/2018 9:35 am

I will try Latiesse and Rosehip Oil.

Where can I get Latiesse from online, that ships to the UK?

MemberMember
(@fraz_2010)

Posted : 01/23/2018 6:46 pm

Can the pigment not be restored via tanning? If you have a naturally darker complexion , then your hypopigmentation patches should respond to ultra violet rays.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 01/23/2018 7:32 pm

It's a common thing Dr's do to not have you put suncreen specifically on the hypo and see if pigment comes back. For some they get some improvement. Otherns need latiesse or XTRAC Excimer Laser at 308nm , or photo therapy. As you know Phototherapy - ALA / Growth factors is much more concentrated to use. Give it a try. Sorry cannot help you source Latiesse, in the US they sell it Over the counter in Dr's offices. Try searching online or amazon / ebay, or online pharma. For Europeans it's probably comes from Eastern Europe.

MemberMember
(@jem1906)

Posted : 09/25/2018 11:28 pm

Hi there
I am super new to this forum. I came across looking for information on laser induced hypopigmentation. I have had a good read of the suggestions but was seeking some more advice and information if possible please.

I have had 2 treatments of candela laser for freckles on my arms. After the first treatment I ended up with a few large light coloured spots on my arms. I raised this concern with the dermatologist and she assured me it was ok. When I returned for my next treatment I once again raised this issue and she assured me it would be ok. I had quite a lot more freckles done and now I have white spots all over my arms. Some of them blistered and I am now dealing with potential scars on these. I have seen the dermatologist again (am obviously terribly upset) as it is pretty obvious she has stuffed up. She has told me stay out of the sun (covered) pretty hard when we are heading into an Australian summer and see if it resolves itself (cheers thanks for your help!)

So after doing quite a bit of research I dont know where to start with trying to help my lovely patchy arms. I have read all about latisse and microneedling and am interested in the UVB lamp route, I cannot find much information on this though, I wasnt sure if I could do it when I have been told to stay out of the sun. Isaw a plastic surgeon and he said he can fix it with the spectra qt laser. Any information, tips or protocols would be super appreciated as I have no idea which way I should proceed.

Many thanks for your help
Jem

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 09/26/2018 9:18 pm

Hypopigmentation is a known side effect of laser in some patients. Sadly this is the hardest thing to treat.

You can try microneedling and LATISSE at home, slow process and only a % of improvement. Excimer laser makes a laser for pigment loss, there is uvb- and growth factors, and I don't suggest this for you as it's all over your arm but medical pigment tattooing.Perhaps with time it will improve. You can try to apply sunscreen on all but the spots.

Perhaps your plastic surgeon can fix it. I know Dr Lim is in Brisbane and can help you.

Lookupvitiligo treatments as well on Google.

There is nothing that is overly great, it really depends on the derm's skill.

Jem1906 liked
MemberMember
(@jem1906)

Posted : 09/26/2018 11:45 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I used to see Dr Lim as a patient when I lived in Brisbane. Such as shame I don't live there any more! I think I may start with the needling and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@obi-wan)

Posted : 10/06/2018 7:42 am

In the context of hypo or depigmentation an interesting article came out a few months ago. Some genius dermatologist used the CO2 and pulse stack ie. hit the hypo pigmented scars a few times, this in turn usually gives side effects such as PIH in normal skin. So, in short using a side effect that is well known to many, he managed to get back pigment in over 80% of cases. Now the limitations of this study was that the population treated was Ethic skin type 3-4, a biased towards hyperpigmention. ReCell is heavily marked, and the success rate is very low for an expensive and time consuming procedure. Micro needling with Latiesse and exposure to sunlight is your best option, or, if you can get you hands on old fashioned psoralen therapy, that can help. Sometimes old methods like psoralen application in third World Countries can out do ReCell therapy. All the best.