Notifications
Clear all

Acne Scars - My Journey - Subcision

MemberMember
(@upliftingcat)

Posted : 04/05/2018 7:28 am

@eva_liAww girl youre absolutely beautiful! I dont see any signs of premature aging or sagging. I dont think your acne scarring made your skin appear aged in the slightest. I get a little bit irked when people say that the female face should be this shape or that shape, etc. I think this type of talk is harmful and why so many people walk around looking like desperate housewives now with their face stuffed with fillers. You also have very gorgeous lips!

dazzed, User650286, incepticon and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@noa27)

Posted : 04/05/2018 8:01 am

@UpliftingCatyou are so right. Sorry BA, I respect you, but all the fatloss thing.... I don't see it either. As far as heart shaped faces for women... I see plenty of them with a round face, oval, etc.
I don't know... for me the boundaries on this forum are gone... It's not only about scars anymore, it is now about sculpting your whole face... Nobody is perfect....

@eva_li I really appreciate your input and several posts. You look great, there is nothing wrong with you even if you have a couple of scars. Don't get me wrong, but when I read your posts, I sense BDD. Maybe you should consider a therapist. That saying I do not underestimate your feelings and your emotions, but I do think they are not equal to how you really look (to others).

Hang in there girl x

MemberMember
(@incepticon)

Posted : 04/05/2018 8:12 am

I completely agree with noa27 and upliftingcat. If you asked me, you are wasting your precious time, which could be spent so much more happily, with so minor things. Many people would die for a skin and face like yours. No one would notice the minor things you think you have on your skin. Please enjoy your life, the hassle to reach some fantasy "perfection" is pointless.

MemberMember
(@nina22)

Posted : 04/05/2018 8:29 am

Maybe the scars were too superifical for any fillers to begin with? I think laser and Infini is all what is left to try if you still wish so, otherwise as others say your face looks very pretty ^_^

MemberMember
(@coconutrough)

Posted : 04/05/2018 9:36 am

I don't get it why so many people (adults in their late 20s) are unable to accept their mediocrity.
But that's all part of the journey.

Your skin looks normal, nobody will reject you bc of this condition. So I agree that seeing a therapist is a good advice in this case.

And pls, calling someone beautiful usually does more harm than good. No woman (+BDD) buys that, especially when it comes from other women.

MemberMember
(@srananman)

Posted : 04/05/2018 12:11 pm

You are beautiful actually, how about a date to Odense ;)?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/05/2018 1:28 pm

This is not directed at Eva, but the posters who responded to my advice.

I have deleted my advice on field subcision as Novick often uses stretching the skin with filler to hide scarring.

I think I need to remind people here that helping others as a volunteer takes massive amounts of time. I am not paid to give treatment like doctors. I give suggestions which the posters can pick what works best for individual situation and needs. I am trying to help others who have acne scars because I know how debilitating it can be and why posters want to improve theirsituation.I tried to help here.

I need to remind this forum that none of these treatments are medically necessary and a great portion of the posters are doing things for cosmetic reasons when they could live happy lives without anything being done.

This is why Therapy is so important if one obsesses on perfection and minor issues that become significant barriers in their lives. Treatment is also indicative of the person's perceived flaws, not necessarily how others may see them, ... thus it sometimes is lost in communication or help what the real issue is or the focus.

Perhaps the 2 dimensional nature of the forum did not show my care nor convey it as brainstorming (remember I cannot see individualscars, feel individualscars, use directional light on your scars, nor can I evaluate the person holistically as a whole to their individual needs and situation, I am doing the best I can with the medium I am provided)...

Ican't please everyone. The pics are not the same type as the ones you provided with directional light and ask for a honest opinion. As such I do not feel they are indicative of what I was asked to provide or rather fix with your treatment situation. Truly the new pics show no fat loss and you need nothing really, so why even get treatment (nothing is needed - this is a case of BDD better suited for a therapist).The OP looks like a model, I have trouble believing the original pics that were posted at this time (anyone reading this look at the earlier pics and look at the new pics).99% of people here would love to look like the OP's new pics (the posters havesevere scarring doctors can't even fix daylight/directional light/ so they turn to the forums here to fix the issue).

As Emil said all the OP needs a peel.

This was from my post on Saturday:"I am having a hard time evaluating the pics provided. In some it looks like you have pits. In other's like the recent ones I see absolutely no pitting and a peel would be fine. Scars make shadows."

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/05/2018 3:05 pm

@eva_li 

I have Never claimed anyone photoshopped pics. I help everyone. I was trying to help you... I mean you asked for my help off the directional lighting pics. The posters here are responding off iphone (not the same quality) daylight pictures stating there is no problems. Scars make shadows. You ask me to fix shadows not iphone selfies or you would not be here right. Everyone here can relate, it's simple to explain. Scars make shadows, we react badly to the shadows, pitting, fat loss, texture. Hence when it's a full light daytime pic with a iphone most people would never notice anything. Now take the same pic at night with shadows or directional lighting. You see the difference. I only provide treatment advice off of what I am offered. I know several Drs who would not treat someone without only using directional lighting pics, they know the tricks lights play, ... even some Drs take before and afters with different lighting to hide the issues. Shadows are the extreme of how we look, they are not a natural daytime look, harsh, angular, and revealing in nature. Most people don't even see yourself as any issue. If I saw you on the street I would think you were a model. Beautiful person, beautiful skin, takes care of yourself, youthful, vibrant! But you did not come here for praise, you wanted a issues fixed. I cannot judge you, I can only help with what am provided and the goal you set to achieve. 

Your issues which you asked for a fix were related to filler, fat, and sculpture of the face. What do you think filler provides volume & sculpture. The area you complain about could be stretched as I outlined avoiding the shadows from texture. So we are dealing with your acne scars.

Dr. Novick calls this field subcision, the act of stretching the skin with textural issues to hide the minor scarring, ... same thing sculpting the face.

As such you look like a model and at this point I don't think you need anything done, ... no fat loss, no issues, perfect skin, ... live your life and be happy. Not worth the bother. You even mentioned it. At this point a therapist for BDD would be more beneficial than the roller coaster of treatments (good / bad outcomes / $$$$) for small textural imperfections everyone has.

Be Well, 
BA

Indirect lighting - shows the true scars (scars make shadows, turn out the lights and use a flashlight) 

2016-07-20_174154.jpg

MemberMember
(@upliftingcat)

Posted : 04/05/2018 3:14 pm

@beautifulambitionI respect you too and you are absolutely right, my response was an emotional one rather than a technical one. I try my best to be as scientific and practical as possible when giving advice and explanations on chemical peels but there's another side of me that deeply empathizes with the emotional ramifications other's comments can have on someone regarding an issue they already feel deeply self-conscious about. While I truly appreciate all of the time and work you put into helping this community (including myself) I could tell by Eva_li's response that she felt offended and harshly judged by your comments. I don't know the age of Eva_li but she looks to be around my age and I know as a young woman, it would be psychologically damaging for someone to tell me that I look prematurely aged. I do understand you were trying to help and your comments were based on unflattering lighting as opposed to her newest photos, but I think people got hostile towards your response because it seemed like you were remarking on more than just her scars. My goal was certainly not to villify you in any way but rather to uplift a fellow young woman (pun intended). I usually don't write emotional responses like that and aim to keep my advicemethodical. I hope in the future we can still "tag-team" on advising members about peels.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/05/2018 4:09 pm

@UpliftingCatOf course, I Want to work as a team. I don't have the bandwidth to help everyone. As such if I every say something offensive please PM me and I will edit it. I now see the OP thought I was commenting on her appearance and not on field subcision (using sculpting techniques w/ filler to hide scars). I love seeing the world from others points of view. I get caught up in the technical part of helping. I tried to keep the subject about shadows and their effects. I would encourage the posters here to help others in ways I cannot.

Thank You for your care. She is truly a beautiful woman, who I see no issue with! I would not think twice to offer advice if I wasn't asked to do so with a critical eye. I encourage others who have minor imperfections to not only work on those flaws but the cause of them which can often be explored with a therapist who understands the deeper ramifications and pitfalls.

We are a team!
BA

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 04/05/2018 4:14 pm

On 1/3/2018 at 12:00 AM, Sirius Lee said:

Perhaps you have a crappy phone like me and those are just bad pictures. But you only have a few scars that might benefit from subcision. The majority are too shallow and you'll not see much difference IMO. Subcision is great for deep scars because it will be quite noticeable. Even 50% would be a big improvement. But not so for shallow scars. If you had a good result with Dermapen, then I suggest you go for Infini or Intensif, which are dermapen on steroid (or radiofrequency).

@eva_liSorry, I didn't bother reading others' post before me (maybe I should have), but do you remember the above post that I wrote on Page 1 of this thread? Well, I hope you now realize that subcision DON'T work for mild-to-medium scars like yours.

User650286 and eva_li liked
MemberMember
(@eva_li)

Posted : 04/05/2018 4:29 pm

Haha, yeah, I recalled that already several times @Sirius Lee;) But while majority of my scars are shallow, there are a still fewer deeper rolling ones that the sub helped a bit (the filler did not much). But overall yes, I agree, you were right.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 04/05/2018 4:44 pm

11 minutes ago, eva_li said:

Haha, yeah, I recalled that already several times @Sirius Lee;) But while majority of my scars are shallow, there are a still fewer deeper rolling ones that the sub helped a bit (the filler did not much). But overall yes, I agree, you were right.

If you decide to get Infini or other RF device, I highly suggest you get Sculptra injected into the scars at least 4 weeks in advance. It takes about 4 weeks for Sculptra to start the collagen production. Infini will then add fuel to the fire, so to speak.

MemberMember
(@nina22)

Posted : 04/05/2018 5:02 pm

@Sirius Leebut isn't Sculptra meant to be injected deeply rather than superficially? What if she gets some lumps from it - isn't it too risky for such small scars? Or do you mean to put it deeper under the whole cheek area as Novick would do in some cases?

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/05/2018 5:10 pm

@Nina22

Sculptra alone is not effective for acne

Sculptra and Sculptra Aesthetic are not to be use in the dermis where the acne scar problem is.

However, we regularly use Sculptra simultaneously with CO2 laser resurfacing.

The Sculptra is placed first with a local anesthetic in it. This serves to anesthetize the area as well as create lift in the area of acne so the laser appears more effective.

However this is not a technique for anyone who does not have a high level of experience both with Sculptra and lasers.

SHOW LESS

Nathan Mayl, MD (retired) 
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon 

Sculptra and acne scars

Sculptra cvan improve temporarily the scars by gently volumizing the cheek skin and stretching the skin. It is not a filler that is injected under each scar separately. Your questions are very precise and you would need to be examined in person to answer them.Usually Sculptra is given in a series of 3 treatments 6 weeks apart and it may last up to 2 years.

Ronald Shelton, MD 
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon 
 43 reviews 

Sculptra is NOT a Treatment for Acne Scarring

I'm sorry to tell you but Sculptra is NOT a good solution for acne scarring. Unlike other fillers, Sculptra is intended to fill the DEEP tissues of the face as is commonly seen in runners, aging and in patients taking anti-HIV medications. It is not intended for superficial placement to lift minor folds, depressions or acne scars. You may want to get a second opinion before proceeding.

Peter A. Aldea, MD 
Memphis Plastic Surgeon 

Sculptra Fillers NYC | Sculptra Wrinkle Removal Manhattan, New York

Treatments for Lipoatrophy | ARTCTC

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 04/05/2018 5:59 pm

47 minutes ago, Nina22 said:
@Sirius Leebut isn't Sculptra meant to be injected deeply rather than superficially? What if she gets some lumps from it - isn't it too risky for such small scars? Or do you mean to put it deeper under the whole cheek area as Novick would do in some cases?

This has been addressed elsewhere. Yes, as with all fillers, there will always be a risk of lump/bumps/nodules (whatever you want to call it). However, while that has been a recurring theme in the past, our knowledge of Sculptra has since made a big stride. We know that better preparation of Sculptra mixture yields better results, less is always more, etc.

Plus, you usually need to go in for 3 sessions of Sculptra to get optimal result. However, you're getting only 1 session of Sculptra with Infini. I highly doubt that would give a rise to overabundance of collagen.

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 04/06/2018 1:37 am

3 hours ago, totalbeautyaddict said:

I was told filler would not work! I think it only works on deep scars, not the shallow ones like you have.

Well, fillers are being widely used to smooth out wrinkles, which are likely much shallower than most pitted scars. Moreover, HA fillers are, by nature, volumizers. For acne scars, they're supposed to add volume to the pits, which are essentially a cavity created by a loss of collagen.

MemberMember
(@eva_li)

Posted : 04/06/2018 3:38 am

@totalbeautyaddictsimple. I was put off by all the horror stories not only here, also on realself and other forums in my country. my impression from stories of people with acne scarring who got laser was: best case scenario= it did absolutely nothing. worst case scenario=permanent change in texture for the worse/permanent discolouration/volume loss/no change to scarring.
I dont recall reading many stories (if any at all) that would say - laser rid me of scars, yayyy!

However, Sirius lee often says that collagen production peaks at 3 months and continues on for 3 more. Remember that my 1st sub was not even 3 months ago and second one 5 weeks ago. I think i am still going to see further improvements from both the subs and the tca cross in the coming months.

It was just the filler experience that brought me to desperation. i dont regret the money spent on the previous treatments a bit. FYI, I e-mailed the doctor and he offered me to come back to his office within 3 months and he would correct the filler for free. Quite nice of him.

MemberMember
(@amp2695)

Posted : 04/22/2018 11:59 am

Wow just read the whole thread, what a ride! To the op hopefully you are seeing results now. I have a few questions for the other vet members. Her doc said that microneedling like infini will destroy the filler. Yet other docs like davin lim say that no fillers are disturbed by microneedling, where can i find thile info saying that fillers are not destroyed by microneedling rf.
thank you.
to the op: how would you evaluate your results as to where you are now??

MemberMember
(@runnyeggs)

Posted : 04/27/2018 5:24 am

Nice info on Sculptura, BA. I looked it up from the manufacturer site for more info. Eva, collagen takes 4-6 weeks to grow. So it probably peaks in 1.5 months and not 3 months. As you age it takes longer. I dont think you've had that much time pass yet.I got subcision done along with filler. The filler has lumps but I was told to gently massage them when I got home and the next few days to help spread it out. Eventually, it will fill around the space by itself. So, don't get freaked out. It's not like breast implants and silicone. The filler comes from cow protein and will be broken down after a few months.

In 2 months I will see if my own collagen has took root. I will get more subcision done. Why Dermapen after filler? I am suprised whoever did it for you did not tell you to wait and refuse to do it. You are introducing more inflammation and damage to the areas that have already started to heal. What's done is done but wait a few weeks and let your body do its thing. You can get Botox and subcision from other doctors besides plastic surgeons and derms. It's not relegated to the medical doctors in many states.

MemberMember
(@amp2695)

Posted : 05/11/2018 3:19 pm

update?

MemberMember
(@hlp334)

Posted : 03/01/2019 6:17 pm

Any updates on your results/do you recommend your procedure?

MemberMember
(@johnthegreat)

Posted : 03/03/2019 4:41 pm

On 1/3/2018 at 2:14 PM, incepticon said:

I live in Denmark, actually just 100 km away from Emil Henningsen's clinic. About two weeks ago i posted this thread:

Wherein i explain my situation. To cut it short, i've got 3 weeks left of my 9 months long accutante journey. And i also consider undergoing subcision+tca. If you look at the link, you'll see that my scars are worse, but situated on the cheek.

Did Davin Lin personally recommend Emil Henningsen to you? I would really love to follow your journey, since i needed some opinion on Emil Henningsen. I've watched his videos on youtube and examined his webpage http://emilhenningsen.dk/ thoroughly. I think you are in good hands with him since he has trained under doctor Chu and his specialty is acne scar revision.

man I am jealous. you actually dont have THAT SO severe scarring like the rest of us has. I am going to follow your journey with Dr. Emil. hopefully you will get a better treatment. best of luck mate!

MemberMember
(@sibel)

Posted : 03/13/2019 8:39 pm

Dear eva_li, Did you correct the filler with Dr.Emil? Please update. Now after time has passed, what do you think about your experience with Dr.Chu? Wasit worth doing Sub without filler? In my case no( my scars are similar to yours.

MemberMember
(@rakimaki99)

Posted : 09/19/2019 12:31 pm

Hey I also had 2 subscisions done with dr. Emil,

1st without filler,

2nd with filler,

but after half a year I see no difference compared to how it was 2-3 years ago (before I started the scar repair journey)

Its likely that if u do 10 sessions it will get better, but that'd be a fortune