Notifications
Clear all

Subcision Soon/ Documenting Procedure

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 11/27/2017 5:37 pm

Hello all-

I have moderate rolling and boxcar scars, and I am still on Accutane to treat my acne (I am on my final month currently, almost done!) I have been researching subcision because I want it to be the very first step in my acne scar revision plan, and have found that new evidence suggests that one does not have to wait the 6 month period after accutane to have this procedure. I contacted the facial plastic surgeon I wanted to preform this procedure on me, and he confirmed that there is no waiting period! I am so excited. I have my consultation in a few days. This allows me to get a head-start on improving the scars, and will give more time for collagen to form before I start doing TCA peels and microneedling. I am especially excited, because the scars that bother me most are the tethered rolling scars that create undulations or shadows in overhead or angled lighting. I intend to have at least 3 subcisions a few months apart, (one in January, one in May, one in August) and maybe another next year around Christmas time if I am not satisfied. I will definitely update this post with how my consultation goes and how the procedure goes :) 

User650286, john_vegas, Raster and 2 people liked
MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 11/27/2017 10:03 pm

Good luck. We'll all be rooting for ya.

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 11/28/2017 9:55 pm

I'm really discouraged and upset now :( Today alone I suddenly broke out with 17 red inflamed pimples. Completely out of the blue, they slowly formed throughout the day. I only have 20 more days left of accutane. I am so nervous I will have to extend my course. I have really bad side effects (lips are cracked and bleeding, face is peeling, eyes are red and dry, nose bleeds 24/7.) It just sucks because I feel like I'm dealing with all these side effects to still have shitty acne, and the inflamed bumps make my scars look worse, and I can't wear makeup because my skin peel and flakes off. -Rant-

MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 11/29/2017 2:34 am

@Petsme oh no, has this happened before while you were on Accutane?

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 11/29/2017 9:43 am

Not this badly :( I've been clear the past month and a half... @ailaeshiz

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 11/29/2017 9:54 am

Are you sure you have acne and not something hormonal which needs Spiro or a fungal acne which accutane does not get rid of, have you had a 2nd opinion from other Derms, culture, blood tests. I could be wrong and it could be just purging. Could be from all the stress.

You can do low dose Tane, drop the dose 1 pill only small strength, stop for a few weeks before and after you heal from treatments, take as needed. Some do another course as needed, and stop when they need.

Speak to your Dr about this and why they feel your still breaking out.

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 11/29/2017 11:28 am

Yeah, I have an appointment today. It could just be more purging, but I was clear for a while up until now, and I'm breaking out in places i NEVER break out like my forehead and temples. I don't know what it is, but it's really discouraging. I might just have to do another course and wait even longer to fix the scarring :(

MemberMember
(@ailaeshiz)

Posted : 11/29/2017 3:17 pm

:(

MemberMember
(@simplemutton)

Posted : 11/29/2017 4:36 pm

I had three courses of Accutane and still wasn't enough....but I think you don't have acne as severe as mine.
It's probably just another breakout that will go away or something related to stress (stress make you break out regardless of Accutane)

As far as subcision, it's good for tethered rolling scars especially if you follow up with fillers afterward but don't expect a miracle....

MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 12/01/2017 12:06 am

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/01/2017 1:42 pm

The breakout is continuing. At my dermatologist appointment, she basically told me that I will need at least another month on Accutane. My entire face is full of small whiteheads and blackheads that are all inflamed, making it look like a have a rash of some sort.

I weigh 38 kg and have been on 40 mg a day for the past 4 months and 3 weeks, so I have already reached my "cumulative dose" of 120 mg/kg. I always take my pills with 20 mg of fat twice per day, and do not eat dairy or added sugar. This is super unfortunate because I was clear the entire third month of my treatment. I haven't changed my products or my diet.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/01/2017 3:59 pm

Take Low dose and you can treat soon, take it until you clear, and save some of the pills in case.

Petsme liked
MemberMember
(@91baby)

Posted : 12/03/2017 3:25 am

@Petsme i dont know if this is beneficial or not for you but doxycyline got rid of my acne and you can do procedures while you're on it. I was on it for a couple years, only because i was too scared of what would happen coming off it. When you come off it you do break out a bit but ive been doxycyline-free for over a year and have only ever had a pimple here or there :)

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/03/2017 2:58 pm

@91baby thank you for the advice!! Sadly, I have been on 3 courses of doxycycline and 4 courses of minocycline since I got acne when I was ~12. It helped but never cured me :(

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 12/13/2017 12:29 pm

I don't know if it has much to do with this topic. But those scars can't ruin such a pretty face.

MemberMember
(@motherofms)

Posted : 12/13/2017 12:38 pm

On 11/29/2017 at 3:55 AM, Petsme said:

I'm really discouraged and upset now :( Today alone I suddenly broke out with 17 red inflamed pimples. Completely out of the blue, they slowly formed throughout the day. I only have 20 more days left of accutane. I am so nervous I will have to extend my course. I have really bad side effects (lips are cracked and bleeding, face is peeling, eyes are red and dry, nose bleeds 24/7.) It just sucks because I feel like I'm dealing with all these side effects to still have shitty acne, and the inflamed bumps make my scars look worse, and I can't wear makeup because my skin peel and flakes off. -Rant-

How are you now?  Were you able to get this cleared up.  I'm sure you're anxious to resolve the flare up so that you can proceed with your plans.  I hope that is that case. Wishing you the best!

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/13/2017 12:47 pm

@Duperele thank you sooo super duper much! That is beyond sweet of you :) I wish I saw it that way- all I see are the scars now.

@motherofms I was prescribed another month of Accutane, and should be finishing around January 10th. Actually most of the spots have now cleared up, I still have 5 inflamed bumps right now, I get a few new (super teeny tiny) ones a day. Not sure if it's just my skin getting all of the junk out once and for all.

My subcision is tentatively schedule for January 11th. I met with the doctor who will be preforming it, and we took pictures and talked about what scars bother me most, etc. He has recommended 3 subcisions about 6 weeks apart each :) he said he wanted to  wait for the skin to clear up a bit more so hes not causing more inflammation, and he also said that suctioning acne lesions would be a really bad choice.

My side effects are sooooooooo bad. My eyes are extremely red and dry and I can't open them all the way or it hurts. I look high haha. The sides of my lips have cracked to Joker-like proportions. Here's hoping accutane clears me up and keeps me clear!

MemberMember
(@eternalrocket)

Posted : 12/13/2017 1:41 pm

Are you sure you want to get your scar treatments right after finisihing Accutane, my doc said I could do microneedling 3 months post but I was still hesitant so I waited another month, I know some new studies have shown that you don't really need to wait after finishing Accutane to treat your scars but I would say that you know your skin better than anyone and if you think your skin is too sensitive or that it heals quite poorly, waiting a few months before starting treatments wont do any harm. I am not trying to be negative here, just saying that be very sure before starting anything, you don't want any further damage. Good Luck!

Petsme liked
MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/13/2017 1:50 pm

@eternalrocket new studies show that subcision can be carried out during or right after accutane because it keeps the epidermis intact except for one small needle wound. Davin Lim does subcisions while the patient is still on accutane and many other doctors agree. My doctor knows I will be on/ directly finished with accutane when I have the procedure and he said this is fine. I will be waiting 6 months to have Infini and chemical peels though :) My skin heals very quickly so I am not worried about subcision at least. Thank you though for your concern!!

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/13/2017 6:49 pm

What really sucks is how different my scars look at different angles. One angle I'd be perfectly happy with albeit there are still some noticeable scars. The other angle just makes me absolutely sick to look at :( sorry my lips are covered in aquaphor haha so they look weird and messy.

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

ailaeshiz liked
MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 12/14/2017 12:54 am

@Petsme
Yea, i see nothing but scars on myself too :) But trust me that other people don't see it that way, these are not features you firstly look at (if it's not especially bad) . Yes you can look better with no scars, but that does not mean it it bad now. Everyone can always look better. The problem is not our skin, the problem is in our minds.

Petsme liked
MemberMember
(@sirius-lee)

Posted : 12/14/2017 3:28 am

MemberMember
(@petsme)

Posted : 12/14/2017 10:49 am

7 hours ago, Sirius Lee said:
Damn, girl, I don't know what you're complaining about!You look just fine. Some people here, I imagine, would kill to trade place with you. Grrr...

Seriously, you spend too much time on this board. Go out and enjoy your life.

LOL yes I do kind of spend too much time here. I just started winter break and I guess I've been feeling down about everything lately. But honestly I can only go up from here

MemberMember
(@motherofms)

Posted : 12/14/2017 11:31 am

22 hours ago, Petsme said:
@motherofms I was prescribed another month of Accutane, and should be finishing around January 10th. Actually most of the spots have now cleared up, I still have 5 inflamed bumps right now, I get a few new (super teeny tiny) ones a day. Not sure if it's just my skin getting all of the junk out once and for all.

My subcision is tentatively schedule for January 11th. I met with the doctor who will be preforming it, and we took pictures and talked about what scars bother me most, etc. He has recommended 3 subcisions about 6 weeks apart each :) he said he wanted to  wait for the skin to clear up a bit more so hes not causing more inflammation, and he also said that suctioning acne lesions would be a really bad choice.

My side effects are sooooooooo bad. My eyes are extremely red and dry and I can't open them all the way or it hurts. I look high haha. The sides of my lips have cracked to Joker-like proportions. Here's hoping accutane clears me up and keeps me clear!

I'm so glad to hear that your spots are clearing up.  It must be exciting to have a date on the calendar and plans for your scar treatment to begin.  I'm sorry you're dealing with the rough side effects of Accutane. They were bad for me too. We'll look forward to hearing how your subcision goes.  I wish you the best!